• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "No single market access for UK after Brexit..."

Collapse

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    No, I am just up to date on what's going on - Russia now runs ~30% budget deficit on a monthly basis, hard currency reserves are at limits where they say they won't even defend their own currency - Putin does not have money even for World Cup 2018, nevermind giving 50-80 bln euros to Greece, he simply can't print euros, but ECB can so he will always be outbid, Greeks know it, Germans know it, Russia was only used as negotiating tactic.
    If Russia thought it was in its interest it would find the money.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Don't hold your breath on that one...you may have just written the first sentence in history which contains both the words "sensible" and "politician". I salute your optimism, but expectations are very low.
    Fair point. I'll have a word with myself.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    You tax imports, not who owns the company.

30% on BMWs imported from Germany.

No tax on Minis produced in the UK.

We are not anti German business. Just encouraging the politicians to be sensible.
    Don't hold your breath on that one...you may have just written the first sentence in history which contains both the words "sensible" and "politician". I salute your optimism, but expectations are very low.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
    Jaguar is Indian. Land Rover is owned by Jaguar and so is also Indian. Nissan is part-owned by Renault and is therefore French-Japanese.

And let's not forget Rolls-Royce and Mini who are both owned by BMW.
    You tax imports, not who owns the company.

30% on BMWs imported from Germany.

No tax on Minis produced in the UK.

We are not anti German business. Just encouraging the politicians to be sensible.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Are you having a laugh?
    No, I am just up to date on what's going on - Russia now runs ~30% budget deficit on a monthly basis, hard currency reserves are at limits where they say they won't even defend their own currency - Putin does not have money even for World Cup 2018, nevermind giving 50-80 bln euros to Greece, he simply can't print euros, but ECB can so he will always be outbid, Greeks know it, Germans know it, Russia was only used as negotiating tactic.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Russia got no money to pay them off.
    Are you having a laugh?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    The Greeks had no money and he put the boot in. As a result the Greeks are now costing up with Russia. That's success for you.
    Russia got no money to pay them off.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
    Jaguar is Indian. Land Rover is owned by Jaguar and so is also Indian. Nissan is part-owned by Renault and is therefore French-Japanese.

don't forget once we brexit then we won't allow them to incorporate in NI and eat danish all day.

Leave a comment:

• m0n1k3r
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    If German cars become 30% more expensive I suspect many will switch to UK produced ones.

With Jaguar, LandRover, Nissan & BM they have a choice. Maybe German manufacturers will start producing cars in the UK?

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    I'm surprised that you haven't heard of him. I thought everyone had.

Here's the two facts you need to know about him:
    • Someone tried to assassinate him - he was shot - and left using a wheelchair.
    • He's a tough Barsteward. He showed the Greeks what a strong negotiating position looks like.
    The Greeks had no money and he put the boot in. As a result the Greeks are now costing up with Russia. That's success for you.

If the Germans don't play ball ghen I suggest an immediate two tier tariff on German owned vehicle manufacturers.

Vehicles manufactured in Germany and imported to the UK start with a 10% tariff, rising by 10% every month until a deal is done.

German cars manufactured in the UK and bought in the UK. Zero tariff.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Apart from those who read 'quality' newspapers...or at the very least, try to understand what is going in the world outside of their own little microcosm
    We bow to your superior "learnedness"

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    and Big jugs weekly?
    Shssh, don't let the wife find out...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Should I therefore cancel my subscription to Titbits?
    and Big jugs weekly?

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    There is such a thing as a life, y'know...

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Nope, and yup. In that order.

Here's the two facts you need to know about him:
    • Someone tried to assassinate him - he was shot - and left using a wheelchair.
    • He's a tough Barsteward. He showed the Greeks what a strong negotiating position looks like.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X