• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Warning on higher cost of 40-year mortgages"

Collapse

• Martin@AS Financial
    replied
    "People are living longer than ever before, a phenomenon undoubtedly made necessary by the 30-year mortgage".

As quoted by Doug Larson

Leave a comment:

• sirja
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serfdom

Serfdom is the status of many peasants under feudalism, specifically relating to manorialism. It was a condition of bondage, which developed primarily during the High Middle Ages in Europe and lasted in some countries until the mid-19th century.

Serfs who occupied a plot of land were required to work for the lord of the manor who owned that land, and in return were entitled to protection, justice and the right to exploit certain fields within the manor to maintain their own subsistence. Serfs were often required not only to work on the lord's fields, but also his mines, forests and roads. The manor formed the basic unit of feudal society, and the lord of the manor and his serfs were bound legally, economically, and socially. Serfs formed the lowest social class of feudal society.

Swap serf for working person, and lord of the manor for banks, and we are back where we started....
    I've never seen it said better. Bravo!!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by sirja View Post
    This is just the way things are going. 120 year mortgages are common in Japan, Sweden recently capped mortgages at 107 years(down from 140 years). Topic of conversation at dinner parties 2 generations from now will be " My Gran keeps telling me how in their day you could actually pay of your mortgage in 25 years, can you believe it!...'
    Real estate is the ultimate control mechanism the bankers have over the general population, and that's why there will NEVER be a sustained major crash in prices. The odd 10-15% correction every 5-7 years, sure, but then the prices simply go up again beyond the previous high. Got to keep the debt slaves in chains right till the day go into the earth. Heck in Switzerland you can even pass your mortgage onto your kids. Thanks Dad!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serfdom

Serfdom is the status of many peasants under feudalism, specifically relating to manorialism. It was a condition of bondage, which developed primarily during the High Middle Ages in Europe and lasted in some countries until the mid-19th century.

Serfs who occupied a plot of land were required to work for the lord of the manor who owned that land, and in return were entitled to protection, justice and the right to exploit certain fields within the manor to maintain their own subsistence. Serfs were often required not only to work on the lord's fields, but also his mines, forests and roads. The manor formed the basic unit of feudal society, and the lord of the manor and his serfs were bound legally, economically, and socially. Serfs formed the lowest social class of feudal society.

Swap serf for working person, and lord of the manor for banks, and we are back where we started....

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I rent first. And have done for years.

Leave a comment:

• sirja
    replied
    This is just the way things are going. 120 year mortgages are common in Japan, Sweden recently capped mortgages at 107 years(down from 140 years). Topic of conversation at dinner parties 2 generations from now will be " My Gran keeps telling me how in their day you could actually pay of your mortgage in 25 years, can you believe it!...'
    Real estate is the ultimate control mechanism the bankers have over the general population, and that's why there will NEVER be a sustained major crash in prices. The odd 10-15% correction every 5-7 years, sure, but then the prices simply go up again beyond the previous high. Got to keep the debt slaves in chains right till the day go into the earth. Heck in Switzerland you can even pass your mortgage onto your kids. Thanks Dad!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Smartie View Post
    I do, fondly.

MIRAS was completely abolished in April 2000 by Gordon Brown, who argued it had become a middle class perk.

Leave a comment:

• Smartie
    replied
    MIRAS

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I didn't realise that the USA (and Switzerland) allow you to deduct the interest paid on your mortgage from your personal taxation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_m...rest_deduction

That would have a major effect on pushing up prices, especially for higher earners.
    Remember this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortga...lief_at_source

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    It will happen in the UK, if you still want to live there when it does, is another thing.

But will it happen at the same time the Sun explodes? It feels like I've been waiting that long already.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    I've been waiting for that mega crash since the 90s. When is it?
    I was waiting for the mega crash in Ireland for 10 years, at around 8 years people were saying out loud I was crazy, it will never happen.

2 houses paid in cash, 3rd on the way. Not so crazy after all.

I will happen in the UK, if you still want to live there when it does, is another thing.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    June 24th, 2016
    You mean when true British economic figures are released?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    June 24th, 2016

Leave a comment:

• yasockie
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Utter madness. They should really consider living in another part of the country, or leaving the country! Imagine surviving to your 72nd year working away before the mortgage is paid off.

These guys should rent instead and wait until the mega crash.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Yes they do.

Moral of the story whether you are a man or a woman marry someone who earns a similar income to you.
    Or meet a busty bird working in Tesco's, but don't marry her whatever you do!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Articles obviously a fake, women don't lose in divorces
    Yes they do.

Moral of the story whether you are a man or a woman marry someone who earns a similar income to you.

Leave a comment:

• unemployed
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    At home, or not, you would still be a tosser
    yup

watching Take me out , the poor chap omitted he lived at home, most of the lights went off

must become a debt slave
    Last edited by unemployed; 5 June 2016, 10:46.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X