• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Brexit

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brexit"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    Ok I'll do the exact opposite so you hate me more ^_^
    No problem. Find an expat who's been out of the country for more than 15 years who's in favour of brexit and vote that way.

If you don't want to use your franchise, why not give it to someone who's been disenfranchised?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Why not find a British expat who's been out of the country for more than fifteen years, and thus has been disenfranchised, and vote according to how they would like.

For example, the war hero Harry Shindler - 93 year old veteran of the WWII Anzio beach-head in Italy in 1944

I might like you then.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I've decided, even though I've voting rights, that I'm leaving the vote to UK nationals. Being pole and naturally after remain , I think the vote should be yours and only yours.
    Why not find a British expat who's been out of the country for more than fifteen years, and thus has been disenfranchised, and vote according to how they would like.

For example, the war hero Harry Shindler - 93 year old veteran of the WWII Anzio beach-head in Italy in 1944

I might like you then.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Postmen and burglars perhaps. Whereas absolutely anybody could claim to be me, which is far easier than counterfeiting, burglaring or postman-becoming.
    Nope, which is precisely why they do it. Voting irregularities result in investigations, and if this were done on a significant scale, it would inevitably result in voting irregularities, as turnout is typically greater than 50% for a Parliamentary election (and will be for the EU ref). As I say, voting fraud isn't unheard of, but the system works, and it makes much more sense than vetting against a polling card (which is why they don't do it).

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Not really. Anyone can get hold of the card, it might not be delivered, easily counterfeited etc. Anyway, it's much easier/safer for them to cross-check against the actual franchise they have in front of them.
    Postmen and burglars perhaps. Whereas absolutely anybody could claim to be me, which is far easier than counterfeiting, burglaring or postman-becoming.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I never understand why they send out the polling card, but whenever I've taken the polling card with me they tell me I don't need it. Surely that'd be a pretty easy way to check identity.
    Not really. Anyone can get hold of the card, it might not be delivered, easily counterfeited etc. Anyway, it's much easier/safer for them to cross-check against the actual franchise they have in front of them.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Yep, that's exactly what we do. You give your name and address at the polling station (which they check against their franchise).
    I never understand why they send out the polling card, but whenever I've taken the polling card with me they tell me I don't need it. Surely that'd be a pretty easy way to check identity.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    What if i gave your name and address knowing you
    If I went to vote, you'd be in deep trouble. I'm not saying fraud is impossible, obviously it isn't, only that it isn't nearly as easy as you think.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Yep, that's exactly what we do. You give your name and address at the polling station (which they check against their franchise).
    What if i gave your name and address knowing you

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Still as far as I know , you don't validate people that go voting...
    In Poland if we did this all of a sudden russian invasion would be passed

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Cos we will all tell them.

They need some people to make example of every now and again.
    Still as far as I know , you don't validate people that go voting...
    In Poland if we did this all of a sudden russian invasion would be passed

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    They haven't got resources to solve serious crimes, why will they bother about false information on electoral register?
    Cos we will all tell them.

They need some people to make example of every now and again.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    They haven't got resources to solve serious crimes, why will they bother about false information on electoral register?
    I think you're misunderstanding what diseasex has done, so this is moot. They would be turned away from the polling station. Also, IIRC, you do need to provide your NI or passport number (as a foreign citizen) to register online, and they do make cross-checks against a DWP database, so it isn't that simple.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X