• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Exit poll indicates increasingly likely landslide for Remain"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    And let's not forget about Wandsworth - fecks sake, how do they manage to have council tax HALF of what I pay in Bham?
    Get better subsidises from the government and have higher parking charges, library fines etc than nearby boroughs throughout the borough. I'm certain there is not a road in Wandsworth that doesn't have permit parking there as in Lambeth there are roads you can park freely on though they are money grabbing as well.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    You're not asking my questions. What, if any, limits should there be on migration to Surrey and why?
    How might we best facilitate the transfer of all of the EU's poorest workers to the UK, given the clear relationship between population growth and GDP? Surely, anything else would be economically illiterate. What are the arguments against expanding the EU to include Russia and China or perhaps to use a more disparate geographic frame, such as qualification for the Eurovision?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    The deviations between economies in different regions of the UK are far greater than the deviations within Surrey. Does that mean that there should be migration controls between Surrey and the rest of the UK but free movement within Surrey?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Exit poll indicates increasingly likely landslide for Remain

Our borders seem to be a free for all.

Leave a comment:

• Milkyway
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Interesting report that one. Some might have ignored the small print.

1) The majority of migrants to the UK came from outside the EU.

2) The majority of EU migrants to the UK were young people, healthy people, who did burden the NHS.
    Well, given the point 1, I suppose there will be a call for referendum so that we can also vote to leave the "rest of the world" too then?
    Jokes aside, This was well in our full control, and we did not control it, did we?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    And let's not forget about Wandsworth - fecks sake, how do they manage to have council tax HALF of what I pay in Bham?
    Last year most property sales in Wandsworth involved flats which sold for on average £550,189. Terraced properties sold for an average price of £991,699, while semi-detached properties fetched £1,589,963.

Wandsworth, with an overall average price of £706,174 was more expensive than nearby Merton (£583,330) and Kingston upon Thames (£513,062), but was cheaper than Richmond Upon Thames (£777,472). The priciest area within Wandsworth was Nine Elms (£797,089) and the least expensive was Furzedown (£499,485).

During the last year, sold prices in Wandsworth were 4% up on the previous year and 21% up on 2013 when the average house price was £583,920.
    House Prices in Wandsworth

The majority of sales in Birmingham during the last year were terraced properties, selling for an average price of £143,648. Semi-detached properties sold for an average of £173,806, with flats fetching £136,927.

Birmingham, with an overall average price of £168,062, was similar in terms of sold prices to nearby Birmingham City Centre (£170,756), but was more expensive than Sparkhill (£139,025) and Small Heath (£104,295).

Overall sold prices in Birmingham over the last year were 6% up on the previous year and 10% up on the 2007 level of £153,162.
    House Prices in Birmingham

Given the ****ed up valuations used for council tax, does anyone know what the meidan council tax rate is in Wandsworth and Brum?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    You're not asking my questions. What, if any, limits should there be on migration to Surrey and why?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    The deviations between economies in different regions of the UK are far greater than the deviations within Surrey. Does that mean that there should be migration controls between Surrey and the rest of the UK but free movement within Surrey?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    By many things. The deviations between EU economies are far greater than the deviations within UK regions (e.g. minimum wage, local cost of living). Even the older EU economies (Spain, Italy etc.), from which there has been a recent surge in migration (from the poorer regions of those countries), are fundamentally poorer than the areas to which most of these migrants are moving in the UK (London and the SE). Also, there are demographic constraints on migration within the UK population as a whole. Migrants from poorer countries within Europe are typically younger and have different expectations about living standards. Only a small fraction of the UK population would ever want to move to London and the SE. It's apples and pears, and Old Greg knows this.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    You're not asking my questions. What, if any, limits should there be on migration to the UK and why?
    Broadly there should be free migration between EU countries because it is inherently constrained.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    I'm asking the questions here. Is migration between EU countries inherently constrained?
    You're not asking my questions. What, if any, limits should there be on migration to the UK and why?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Constrained by what, cost of living?
    By many things. The deviations between EU economies are far greater than the deviations within UK regions (e.g. minimum wage, local cost of living). Even the older EU economies (Spain, Italy etc.), from which there has been a recent surge in migration (from the poorer regions of those countries), are fundamentally poorer than the areas to which most of these migrants are moving in the UK (London and the SE). Also, there are demographic constraints on migration within the UK population as a whole. Migrants from poorer countries within Europe are typically younger and have different expectations about living standards. Only a small fraction of the UK population would ever want to move to London and the SE. It's apples and pears, and Old Greg knows this.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    None whatsoever, because migration between England, NI, Scotland and Wales is inherently constrained. Likewise, I wouldn't put migration controls in place between my neighborhood and yours, were you to return to the UK. Or on travel between bathrooms and kitchens.

What level of migration would not be acceptable to you?
    I'm asking the questions here. Is migration between EU countries inherently constrained?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    None whatsoever, because migration between England, NI, Scotland and Wales is inherently constrained.
    Constrained by what, cost of living?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    What migration controls would you put in place between areas of the UK with divergent economies?
    None whatsoever, because migration between England, NI, Scotland and Wales is inherently constrained. Likewise, I wouldn't put migration controls in place between my neighborhood and yours, were you to return to the UK. Or on travel between bathrooms and kitchens.

What level of migration would not be acceptable to you?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X