• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Exit poll indicates increasingly likely landslide for Remain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    That's my point. It's one thing to support skilled migration (what country wouldn't?), but free movement is entirely different when economies are divergent, and it leads to the extraordinary imbalances we can all see (which is not only bad for the UK, but bad for those countries that are losing people). Free movement is an entirely unnecessary component of free trade. Controlled migration (not zero migration or even small migration), based on need, makes far more sense. Indiscriminate migration, for which it's impossible to plan, makes no sense at all, and it certainly isn't boosting productivity (which is central to individuals becoming richer, as opposed to economies becoming bigger).
    What migration controls would you put in place between areas of the UK with divergent economies?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      What migration controls would you put in place between areas of the UK with divergent economies?
      None whatsoever, because migration between England, NI, Scotland and Wales is inherently constrained. Likewise, I wouldn't put migration controls in place between my neighborhood and yours, were you to return to the UK. Or on travel between bathrooms and kitchens.

What level of migration would not be acceptable to you?

Comment

None whatsoever, because migration between England, NI, Scotland and Wales is inherently constrained.
        Constrained by what, cost of living?

Comment

None whatsoever, because migration between England, NI, Scotland and Wales is inherently constrained. Likewise, I wouldn't put migration controls in place between my neighborhood and yours, were you to return to the UK. Or on travel between bathrooms and kitchens.

What level of migration would not be acceptable to you?
          I'm asking the questions here. Is migration between EU countries inherently constrained?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Constrained by what, cost of living?
            By many things. The deviations between EU economies are far greater than the deviations within UK regions (e.g. minimum wage, local cost of living). Even the older EU economies (Spain, Italy etc.), from which there has been a recent surge in migration (from the poorer regions of those countries), are fundamentally poorer than the areas to which most of these migrants are moving in the UK (London and the SE). Also, there are demographic constraints on migration within the UK population as a whole. Migrants from poorer countries within Europe are typically younger and have different expectations about living standards. Only a small fraction of the UK population would ever want to move to London and the SE. It's apples and pears, and Old Greg knows this.

Comment

I'm asking the questions here. Is migration between EU countries inherently constrained?
              You're not asking my questions. What, if any, limits should there be on migration to the UK and why?

Comment

You're not asking my questions. What, if any, limits should there be on migration to the UK and why?
                Broadly there should be free migration between EU countries because it is inherently constrained.

Comment

By many things. The deviations between EU economies are far greater than the deviations within UK regions (e.g. minimum wage, local cost of living). Even the older EU economies (Spain, Italy etc.), from which there has been a recent surge in migration (from the poorer regions of those countries), are fundamentally poorer than the areas to which most of these migrants are moving in the UK (London and the SE). Also, there are demographic constraints on migration within the UK population as a whole. Migrants from poorer countries within Europe are typically younger and have different expectations about living standards. Only a small fraction of the UK population would ever want to move to London and the SE. It's apples and pears, and Old Greg knows this.
                  The deviations between economies in different regions of the UK are far greater than the deviations within Surrey. Does that mean that there should be migration controls between Surrey and the rest of the UK but free movement within Surrey?

Comment

The deviations between economies in different regions of the UK are far greater than the deviations within Surrey. Does that mean that there should be migration controls between Surrey and the rest of the UK but free movement within Surrey?
                    And let's not forget about Wandsworth - fecks sake, how do they manage to have council tax HALF of what I pay in Bham?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      And let's not forget about Wandsworth - fecks sake, how do they manage to have council tax HALF of what I pay in Bham?
                      You're not asking my questions. What, if any, limits should there be on migration to Surrey and why?

Comment

Working...
                      X