• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How do you deal with…"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Yes. I saw some in Swansea the other day in a butcher's shop window.
    Morrisons sell it. Along with marrow bones.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    Are they contract or perm?

If contract then just ask them, in front of everyone, wtf they are banging on about. Then tell them everyone has had enough and that they should stfu unless they have something useful to say.

If they're a permie then you're stuffed.
    Permie, that why I have them on "loan".
    I thought they were part of the team, so I was going to try to work with them.
    But it appears other people have tried and failed, I will not waste my time. Support requests have a new home.

I think I may try to set-up a rule in my outlook.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    You don't see tripe any more these days, do you?
    Can tell you've not been a member on here long.

Now, white dog poo, that's a rarity.

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    Dire Tripe

You don't see tripe any more these days, do you?

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Are they contract or perm?

If contract then just ask them, in front of everyone, wtf they are banging on about. Then tell them everyone has had enough and that they should stfu unless they have something useful to say.

If they're a permie then you're stuffed.

Leave a comment:

• Forgotmylogin
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Working with Suity I see.
    Can't be. This guy apparently turns up for pre-arranged meetings at the correct time & place.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Current project, I have a team member (English not the first language). Every meeting or discussion first words out of their mouth is an ass cover, dire tribe that seems to go for 5 -10 min. sometimes I lose track of the question. It's the same every time, they should not be responsible for the task, they can't do anything help. They are killing every meeting.
    Working with Suity I see. Call a him a bedwetter and say stabbity stab a few times while doing the motions in his direction. He'll soon flounce.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Someone has to restock the crunchie machine in the officers' mess.
    Or tidy the bogs

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Ok now you need to tread lightly. You know they know how tulip they are. If you get them loaned out to yet another team, they will know who did it.

Given that client co don't ge rid of tulip, they're clearly very weak and risk averse. They like to go with the flow. I'm afraid it sounds like you have to do likewise.

Have you tried discussing this with your pm quietly? Could they get less critical tasks to work on?
    My idea of less critical is someone else's task. If someone asks for support they will get assigned. I don't care what they think. OPP

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    Facilities department doesn't count
    Someone has to restock the crunchie machine in the officers' mess.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    He's already been loaned in by another department.
    Facilities department doesn't count

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    Hire Suity. He will sort them out.

HTH, BIFDI
    He's already been loaned in by another department.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Hire Suity. He will sort them out.

HTH, BIFDI

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I was looking at cost allocations etc. and notice that their code numbers were different for other people on the team. When I made further enquiries I found out that they are on "loan" to us from another dept. fab. So someone else could not deal, and transferred to my project as we were short on resources. Ok let's not bother trying stuff that has been tried before and has not worked.
    Removed all tasks and invites to meetings, assigned new role. All Adhoc request for support forwarded. I can "loan" to other teams.
    Ok now you need to tread lightly. You know they know how tulip they are. If you get them loaned out to yet another team, they will know who did it.

Given that client co don't ge rid of tulip, they're clearly very weak and risk averse. They like to go with the flow. I'm afraid it sounds like you have to do likewise.

Have you tried discussing this with your pm quietly? Could they get less critical tasks to work on?

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Great. Two things I would suggest :

1. They say all the worlds a stage. So you give your best performance of the sympathetic colleague. Listen to their waffle. Make sympathetic noises. Nod understandingly.

2. When they have finished, you then press them gently for when they can deliver. Don't stop until you get a date.

Rinse and repeat every meeting until the PM HAS to step in.

You are simply vending him/her rope, so let them take as much as they need.

Actually HTH.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I was looking at cost allocations etc. and notice that their code numbers were different for other people on the team. When I made further enquiries I found out that they are on "loan" to us from another dept. fab. So someone else could not deal, and transferred to my project as we were short on resources. Ok let's not bother trying stuff that has been tried before and has not worked.
    Removed all tasks and invites to meetings, assigned new role. All Adhoc request for support forwarded. I can "loan" to other teams.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X