• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rip off agent and go direct?"

Collapse

• diseasex
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    The agency have staff, and experience in chasing money, you don't. Are you going to employ someone to chase the money or are you going to be doing it on the clients dollar?

I used to be an accountant, expert at delaying paying people, especially the fish like you, easy meat, easily stretch it out to 120 day terms...
    So to come to a conclusion : the answer is No.
    Good to know

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    The agency pays me AFTER client pays them . Yeah they told me that. So what's the point of having them.
    The agency have staff, and experience in chasing money, you don't. Are you going to employ someone to chase the money or are you going to be doing it on the clients dollar?

I used to be an accountant, expert at delaying paying people, especially the fish like you, easy meat, easily stretch it out to 120 day terms...

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Any chance you can up that to 100%?
    No , you wouldn't get any fun from bashing my posts.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    This is just one of many ideas, how to make more money , and i'm sparing you 90% of them ^^
    Any chance you can up that to 100%?

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    So you're thinking of going direct with a client that's laying people off?

Good move...

Don't forget to factor in endlessly chasing money from a client without any....
    The agency pays me AFTER client pays them . Yeah they told me that. So what's the point of having them.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    don't be so sure.the people that was negotiating with the agent are gone from the company, things changing , some permies are gone too.
    So you're thinking of going direct with a client that's laying people off?

Good move...

Don't forget to factor in endlessly chasing money from a client without any....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    don't be so sure.the people that was negotiating with the agent are gone from the company, things changing , some permies are gone too.
    Never said it was impossible but don't go assuming this will be the case. Remember you could also be on a 90 day term with much more likelihood if being late as well etc..

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Show the client the incentive to take you direct, which is no fee to pay to an agent.

Why else would anyone with half a working brain take on someone directly, thereby inheriting a factor of risk for the same money spent?

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You are making the mistake thinking you'll get the extra the agent gets. They aren't paying an agent for services anymore so why should you get it?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You are making the mistake thinking you'll get the extra the agent gets. They aren't paying an agent for services anymore so why should you get it?

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    With 656 posts on the forum do you not think you'd be better spending a bit more time learning how to be a contractor rather than dicking about in General?
    How do you explain that poster with 7422 posts to his credit?

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    With 656 posts on the forum do you not think you'd be better spending a bit more time learning how to be a contractor rather than dicking about in General?
    This is just one of many ideas, how to make more money , and i'm sparing you 90% of them ^^

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    You honestly have no handcuffs in the contract at all?? Wowzers. That's a bit odd.

There could be a handcuff in the upper contract saying the agent has dibs so it's highly likely you won't be able to pull it off. I'd be very careful about a massive legal argument kicking off and the client dropping the both of you as the easy option even if there isn't one in your contract.

Just out of interest what do you think the benefits of going direct are?
    No, for real, no handcuff which i was surprised too as i had it on previous 2 gigs. Now company got new management and been asking me couple of times on different occasion whats my rate (as if they are trying to cut costs). I could always say - let me go direct and meet me in half between what you pay to the agent and agent pays me. I think

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    not sure, probably the agent wouldn't put me forward ever again i guess.
    Spoke with other contractor @ clientco and he is afraid of that.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Should I be negotiating of going direct (I think i can) with the client on extension? No handcuff clause on the contract
    Obviously better shortterm money but wouldn't that hurt my business in the future? ie. burning bridges with the agent etc.
    Just gathering opinions on this subject.
    Thanks
    T&C with client? How long will you have to wait to be paid?
    Some companies have a suppliers list, if you are not on it, then the BU can't do business with you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X