• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I'm not a huge fan of Sport Relief et al..."

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Join the real world - there is no way any of the above would require £30m to be held on account in the event of needing to cover. Surely ???
    I was looking at the financial reports of Save The Children, Guide Dogs for the Blind and Oxfam.

They all seemed to be worried about being sued by someone...

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    How do you know it's not necessary?

If you look at other large charities they explain to you in their annual report why they have such large reserves. These reasons include:
    • to cover the operating expenses of the charity in the event of a downturn in income and / or unforeseen increases in costs for one to two years
    • the costs of unforeseen liabilities for employment or other legal claims not covered by insurance
    • the costs of closure or wind-down of the core operations of the charity.
    Join the real world - there is no way any of the above would require £30m to be held on account in the event of needing to cover. Surely ???

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I'm saying you're a chunt. Got it now? Chunt.

Chunt. Chunt. Chunt.

HTH

MF
    Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I don't think I am a liberal (and plenty of God loving folk are very right-wing so that has no relevance) although since you seem to have read my last post exactly backwards, who knows what you're trying to say.
    I'm saying you're a chunt. Got it now? Chunt.

Chunt. Chunt. Chunt.

HTH

MF

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    £30m in reserve is not necessary - a couple of million maybe, but not £30m.
    How do you know it's not necessary?

If you look at other large charities they explain to you in their annual report why they have such large reserves. These reasons include:
    • to cover the operating expenses of the charity in the event of a downturn in income and / or unforeseen increases in costs for one to two years
    • the costs of unforeseen liabilities for employment or other legal claims not covered by insurance
    • the costs of closure or wind-down of the core operations of the charity.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    But they're not are they. For example, you're a woofty God Loving liberal, so pissed on that theory didn't it.
    I don't think I am a liberal (and plenty of God loving folk are very right-wing so that has no relevance) although since you seem to have read my last post exactly backwards, who knows what you're trying to say.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Charities need to have reserves to keep going in case one form of funding disappears. (Sports and Comic Relief actually give their money to local charities who ask for grants. )

Kids Company didn't and were warned about their spending.
    £30m in reserve is not necessary - a couple of million maybe, but not £30m.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I said most not everyone A bit like how not everyone here is an ultra-right-winger.
    But they're not are they. For example, you're a woofty God Loving liberal, so pissed on that theory didn't it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Not everyone on here is a tight wad.
    I said most not everyone A bit like how not everyone here is an ultra-right-winger.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Based on what?
    Not everyone on here is a tight wad.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    It's all a con imho - Comic Relief and Sports Relief have millions saved away, yet still beg for donations every year. Why don't they clear out the saved funds before begging for more ?
    Charities need to have reserves to keep going in case one form of funding disappears. (Sports and Comic Relief actually give their money to local charities who ask for grants. )

Kids Company didn't and were warned about their spending.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    It's all a con imho - Comic Relief and Sports Relief have millions saved away, yet still beg for donations every year. Why don't they clear out the saved funds before begging for more ?
    Which is why I don't support them. Plenty of other charities out there.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    You're very fickle BP. Giving you a tenner as a contractor is like flicking your spare change to a tramp for a regular person.

I think I did a 100 quid for the Mumsnet thing that time, then normally 50 quid or 20 quid for a few others.

This sites has cost me at least 300 quid for charity. Or 5 times Doogies daily rate as I like to think of it.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Surprised that so many CUKers are down on Eddie Izzard. I dislike his politics, think his comedy is just okay and hate the way he mixes the two. But you have to give him credit for this. Congrats to him even if he just ran one marathon, never mind 27 in 27 days. Guy is a running hero and athlete. There can't be many people in the world who have done it.

Off topic, but I would rather he didn't do this really, just for health reasons. Running long distances is bad for your health, not good, in my opinion as a non-medic. Extremes like this could just leave the body permanently weakened or damaged. I say that as a bit of a sport/fitness nut.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X