• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interview etiquette"

Collapse

• Snarf
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    Rule one, make sure your willy isn't hanging out.

Here endeth the lesson
    Is THAT what I've been doing wrong?

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    This is happening quite a lot now. In my last 2 contracts i was asked to document everything I do and then replaced by cheaper bods.
    In my next role i will flatly refuse to document anything or train anyone.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Sounds like mutuality of obligation and direction and control to me, if you aren't careful.
    +1 Hope he's declared himself inside IR35

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by dogzilla View Post
    Funny. If I'm asked to do something not on the job description I roll my sleeves up and get on with.

"Not my job" is what permies say.
    Sounds like mutuality of obligation and direction and control to me, if you aren't careful.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post

Here endeth the lesson
    It helps when MF is conducting interviews.

Leave a comment:

• dogzilla
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    if the role didn't include training up its hardly reasonable to expect you to train your replacement.

Take a half day & work from home the rest.
    Funny. If I'm asked to do something not on the job description I roll my sleeves up and get on with.

"Not my job" is what permies say.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by dogzilla View Post
    Billing a day working at home and then being off-site for the day doesn't sit right for me. ...
    Well I suppose it is OK if your tasks aren't time critical and you've made up the hours at the weekend by the time you invoice.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    if the role didn't include training up its hardly reasonable to expect you to train your replacement.

Take a half day & work from home the rest.

Leave a comment:

• dogzilla
    replied
    A few years back I was in the same situation. Asked to train a clueless perm in the job, yes it involved a lot of technical training. Few months later he shat himself and disappeared, client called me back with a nice bump in my rate.

End of the day, you are getting paid to do a job. If that means training someone up, suck it up and do it. Anything else is just job protectionism and that's what permies do. I'm confident in my skills that I have no problems giving people technical knowledge. There's more to this job than technical know-how.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    WTFS, plus i wouldn't train a replacement, unless i get paid for training. Handover/knowledge transfer shouldn't be confused with training, completely different.
    Agree. Why would you train someone who could become a competitor? Business specific hand-over - OK, training - not OK.

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied

Here endeth the lesson

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    WTFS, plus i wouldn't train a replacement, unless i get paid for training. Handover/knowledge transfer shouldn't be confused with training, completely different.

Leave a comment:

• dogzilla
    replied
    If you have been given notice then it's expected that there needs to be some flexibility.

In that situation I just tell the truth that I have interviews to go to. Either that or make up some tulip about a dentist visit.

Billing a day working at home and then being off-site for the day doesn't sit right for me. At the very least I'd offer to work from home for a portion of the time that I can.

Leave a comment:

• mdhd
    replied
    [QUOTE=Wilmslow;2225012The permies work from home whenever they feel like it.[/QUOTE]

Should be the other way round.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Either work for home and do the hours as suits you, or take the day off and enjoy the sunshine.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X