• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Transport In The North"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Flip - Wrong thread. My post was supposed to be in Milan's lawnmower thread.

Right, now I suppose I'll have to go and post something about Northern transport in that thread.

Leave a comment:

• wysiwyg
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Will Crossrail help you? Either directly or indirectly by taking people away from the routes closer to you?
    I live in SE and it will definitely help; every other day it's a lottery to get to work/home via London Bridge.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    My lawn is too long for my cylinder mower now, and even for my rotary mower.

Luckily there's a guy down the road who I can pay cash in hand to do it, and his CV includes the phrase "passionate about strimming".
    Well a Hod is as good as a sink to a blind norse.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Luckily there's a guy down the road who I can pay cash in hand to do it, and his CV includes the phrase "passionate about strimming".

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied

What are his thoughts on HS3?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    It's grim up north lad.
    True. But not as grim as Swindon.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    All cars should be banned from zone 1.

Plenty of public transport. Or use a bike.

MPs can trial it out and report back. Lazy f00kers.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Northolt's Zone 5.

Zones 5 and 6 are harder to get to and from than Zone 3 and 4. (The only London zones not lived in are 6+)

Plus lots of south London isn't on the tube network so when someone throws themselves under a train they are f*****.
    Will Crossrail help you? Either directly or indirectly by taking people away from the routes closer to you?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    That would be such a great answer if I wasn't currently living in Zone 3.
    Northolt's Zone 5.

Zones 5 and 6 are harder to get to and from than Zone 3 and 4. (The only London zones not lived in are 6+)

Plus lots of south London isn't on the tube network so when someone throws themselves under a train they are f*****.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    What you Northerners don't realise is that London is more than Zones 1 and 2.

If someone jumps in front of your central line tube and you live in Stratford you can get to Bond Street.

If someone jumps in front of you central line tube and you live in say Northolt good luck in getting to Bond Street.
    I'd get the train from Greenford or the Tube from Sudbury, I am not saying its not an extra inconvenience but you have back ups, snow closes the M62 and East/West travel comes to a holt, not just commuters as at each end of the M62 is two fecking great big sea ports

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Will HS3 have a special space by each seat for a whippet?

The money could be better spent on upgrading Banker supercars.....
    Since it'll never happen, why not? It'll be powered by pixie farts, there will be free beer and a brass band will play 'On Ilkley moor bah't 'at' at each station.

That's MVP in my view, lots more should be done.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied

If someone jumps in front of your central line tube and you live in Stratford you can get to Bond Street.

If someone jumps in front of you central line tube and you live in say Northolt good luck in getting to Bond Street.
    That would be such a great answer if I wasn't currently living in Zone 3.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Will HS3 have a special space by each seat for a whippet?

The money could be better spent on upgrading Banker supercars.....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Commuters tend to drive more in the north because public transport is pants and there's generally not an alternative route.

In London, if I want to get from Stratford to Bond Street, I can go direct by the Central Line or by the Jubilee Line if there's a problem on the Central Line. There is no second option for people in, say, Greater Manchester for getting from Sale to Prestwich. You're on that one Metrolink route and that's it. Even with the second crossing through Manchester city centre, you're still stuck with going through the city centre. Bury and Rochdale are five miles apart and 10 and 14 miles away from Manchester respectively. However, you have to go all the way into Manchester city centre and back out. It's quicker on the bus (but you have to brave going through Heywood!)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X