• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why the floodgates are open"

Collapse

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    And don't forget the NI number system is in chaos anyway with many people sharing the same NI number.

Leave a comment:

• hattra
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    A person on a work permit is entitled to a permanent NI number.

This does not mean however that the person is entitled to benefits - the stamp in passport clearly states that recourse to benefits is not allowed .
    So does the NI card say "not entitled to benefits", because I've never been asked to show my passport when I signed on in the past (being one of the aforemention "unemployed or underemployed" for a period of three years).

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Even the leftie Beeb

Was having a go, note in episode 2 Carrys(?)'s Father was going on about hiring cheap Poles and sacking his normal workers. Why because they worked hard and were CHEAP!

Pay me 7 times my salary and provide free health care etc and I'll work hard!

Pay me NMW for a crud job so I'm better off on the dole and I'll sit on my rear.

My experience was these highly skilled businessmen were cheap medium skilled staff paid half a UK resident subsidised by tax avoidance and expenses.

The more people we import on work permits and train in the UK way of business the more jobs will go abroad when they return. Its obvious!

Work permits & EU enlargement is purely about keeping the wage bill down and keeping inflation low.

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    P.S John Reid will sort it out. After a period of consultation.

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Funy how they managed to lose 280,000 from the last estimate of how many have already travelled here.

Also interesting to note they tacitly admit the majority are low skilled immigrants coming here, and there is a need to end it (stable door, horse, bolted, lock).

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    There's more at the door...

Limit planned for immigrant workers
    LONDON (Reuters) - Britain will scrap its open-door policy to east European workers by restricting the inflow of Bulgarian and Romanian immigrants when their countries join the European Union, newspapers reported on Sunday.

The government said in August that more than 400,000 workers from the eight countries had come to Britain, far higher than official forecasts that between 5,000 and 13,000 new immigrants would arrive each year.

The Observer said Home Secretary John Reid's plans had not yet been cleared by cabinet colleagues, but he intended to announce time-limited controls on the right of citizens from Bulgaria and Romania to work in Britain.

He was expected to say Britain will take a limited number of unskilled workers from Bulgaria and Romania to do jobs such as fruit-picking, but will not offer a general right to work, The Observer said.

The move reflected a determination by ministers to end low-skilled migration to Britain, it said.

Before Reid's new policy, private government research estimated that between 60,000 and 140,000 Bulgarians and Romanians would enter Britain following the countries' EU entry, The Sunday Times said.

It said the new policy would ban "tens of thousands" of unskilled workers from the two countries from working in Britain.

Policymakers say competition from east European workers has helped keep wage inflation in check, easing the pressure for higher interest rates.

But critics say the new immigrants are undercutting wage rates of British workers, driving down living standards.

Romanian Prime Minister Calin Tariceanu said in a newspaper interview last month that Romania's accession to the EU would not trigger a surge of emigration from the country.
    Who actually believes anything these clowns say now-a-days?

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Each to their own I suppose... I do have a Glaswegian mate but even he admits the accent is rough....

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Aye, Glaswegians must be the worst - nice accents though

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    'Tis Gretna Green... and I thought you fancied Glaswegians ('weegies') ?

If you can't cope with the Borders, you'd have no chance with a Glasgow girly.... Glaswegian girls... be afraid, be very afraid....

And don't worry, the Scots hate each other as much as anyone else.

Just put on a Celtic top and wander into the wrong pub and shout something like 'waheey the hoops'.

Or, any pub, wearing a England top, and shout 'c'mon England' while on your own.
    Last edited by mcquiggd; 22 October 2006, 18:25.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Can't do mate, Scottish girls hate me and will kick my arse into the kerb as soon as I cross border near Breta Green village

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Those of them who are crap should be fired just like anyone else crap should be fired, I've seen one bad foreign worker - he was from Asia and asked for so much detail that it was easier for me just to do it myself and thus put him out of work, very annoying and if I was the manager I'd probably fire him on the spot - the fact that he is foreign would not factor in however.

I never used any drugs, can take polygraph test if necessary, so there: foreigners don't smoke weed either

Ok, I will buy a polygraph from Maplins - can you make Edinburgh on tuesday at about 6pm?

Urine samples will not be required

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Those of them who are crap should be fired just like anyone else crap should be fired, I've seen one bad foreign worker - he was from Asia and asked for so much detail that it was easier for me just to do it myself and thus put him out of work, very annoying and if I was the manager I'd probably fire him on the spot - the fact that he is foreign would not factor in however.

I never used any drugs, can take polygraph test if necessary, so there: foreigners don't smoke weed either

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Anyway mcquiggd, you are boring me now - I am not the kind of person I was few years ago when I would argue too much on the board, frankly I don't give a fck anymore if people are convinced by my words or not: I believe I am right and this is enough for me, time will be the judge, meanwhile I will focus on SKA.
    Ok, I am not convinced by your arguments, but I have no problem with you as an individual. You would, based on your efforts, be one of the 2000-3000 people a year I would say would benefit this country, but I do not subscribe to your advocation of mass economic migration being beneficial to the UK.

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Understand one thing - IT people who come to work here are the risk takers, entreprenurs, with better knowledge of English and reasonable skills than those who stayed back - you gotto keep these people here because they are not the worst of the kind and kicking them out will cost you more.

So chill out and stop thinking about impact on your personal income.
    Maybe ill borrow some of that weed youve been smoking Alexei

So we have how many thousands of these entrepeneurs in the country then..? My my, I didn't realise there were so many wanting to come here...

No, we have a small number of entrepeneurs, and a majority of people who want to take money, go home and live well. At least be honest about it.

And if you think that the people who come here are those 'with better knowledge of English and reasonable skills than those who stayed back', you obviously haven't worked with the larger projects where foreigne workers are involved, that in my personal experience have tended to be agressive, a burden on fellow workers due to asking questions every 30 minutes as to how a system works, and did not contribute in the slightest to the progress of a project, but where there purely because management saw them as a cost saving.

It also begs the question why we have increased funding for English Language Teaching for these amazingly talented entrepeneurs, when many of own children leave school functionaly illiterate.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Anyway mcquiggd, you are boring me now - I am not the kind of person I was few years ago when I would argue too much on the board, frankly I don't give a fck anymore if people are convinced by my words or not: I believe I am right and this is enough for me, time will be the judge, meanwhile I will focus on SKA.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X