• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Boomers boomed

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Boomers boomed"

Collapse

• NigelJK
    replied
    I'm glad I'm an engineer
    One of very few that were home brewed I'd guess.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    The Bob effect. When I was a permie back then, ICT work permits, mass open immigration, offshoring was just a little dream in New Labour's think tank...
    I'm glad I'm an engineer.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Lucky you. I was still at school.

Graduate wage of £16k in 2000 wouldn't buy me the £80k 1 bed flat in Aldershot. And watched the prices spiral from there.

From what you can tell, sounds a bit rose watery for me. No doubt IT is not what it once was, but £50k for HD of does not sound right.
    The Bob effect. When I was a permie back then, ICT work permits, mass open immigration, offshoring was just a little dream in New Labour's think tank...

PS If it's any consolation, back in 2005 I had the chance to buy two flats in SW London for peanuts, but turned down the offer because I felt house prices had peaked.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Bought first house in mid nineties at the height of the "crash" when prices pretty much halved.
    Lucky you. I was still at school.

Graduate wage of £16k in 2000 wouldn't buy me the £80k 1 bed flat in Aldershot. And watched the prices spiral from there.

Salaries from what I can tell have hardly moved in the permie world. If they were in line with house prices, min wage would be about £40/hour. Plenty of team lead senior developers jobs paying £50K today, so salaries are a joke now, why anyone would want them is a mystery to me....
    From what you can tell, sounds a bit rose watery for me. No doubt IT is not what it once was, but £50k for HD of does not sound right.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Selective memory DP.

And that's when you bought your first house?

And HD of Software is only £50k today?

Really [emoji33]
    Bought first house in mid nineties at the height of the "crash" when prices pretty much halved. I had a tiny bedsit flat before that.

Salaries from what I can tell have hardly moved in the permie world. If they were in line with house prices, min wage would be about £40/hour. Plenty of team lead senior developers jobs paying £50K today, so salaries are a joke now, why anyone would want them is a mystery to me....

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    What makes you think that only MF ever made over £100,000 per month ?
    What are you talking about grandad?

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    You were earning £50k mid nineties....

Of course you were [emoji23]
    What makes you think that only MF ever made over £100,000 per month ?

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    I was head of software development at a MS Gold Partner, so yes I was. You can believe it or not believe it, up to you.
    Selective memory DP.

And that's when you bought your first house?

And HD of Software is only £50k today?

Really [emoji33]

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

I was head of software development at a MS Gold Partner, so yes I was. You can believe it or not believe it, up to you.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    3 bed semi was £50K back in mid nineties and permie salary was just over £50K.

Now same house is about £250K and permie salaries are slightly lower than £50K, but we do have millions of immigrants that make our lives better in every way.

Our govt has served us well. LibLabCon we thank you.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    What tulip hole area was that?
    3 bed semi was £50K back in mid nineties and permie salary was just over £50K.

Now same house is about £250K and permie salaries are slightly lower than £50K, but we do have millions of immigrants that make our lives better in every way.

Our govt has served us well. LibLabCon we thank you.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Look my first house cost nearly a years salary and I paid the mortgage off in 5 years.

BUT there wasn't Facebook OR selfie sticks back then.

So it all evens out.
    What tulip hole area was that?

USA, but quite interesting:

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Lovely, then they get old, fat, and depressed because house prices are 10x their wages and all the boomers who retired at 55 have property portfolios and complain how tough it was in their day.
    Look my first house cost nearly a years salary and I paid the mortgage off in 5 years.

BUT there wasn't Facebook OR selfie sticks back then.

So it all evens out.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Lovely, then they get old, fat, and depressed because house prices are 10x their wages and all the boomers who retired at 55 have property portfolios and complain how tough it was in there day.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Boomers boomed

Lovely, then they get old, fat, and depressed because house prices are 10x their wages and all the boomers who retired at 55 have property portfolios and complain how tough it was in their day.
    Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 2 March 2016, 12:26.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X