• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Moving house

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Moving house"

Collapse

• seanraaron
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Or Zoltar for the "Safe for Children Version".

qh
    I'm watching Gatchaman now, up to episode 64 - awesome stuff.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
    Holy crap is that Berg Katse in your avatar? Respect.
    Or Zoltar for the "Safe for Children Version".

qh

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    I had this, apparently i can have pigs and cows on my land but not chickens. No idea why.

qh
    Holy crap is that Berg Katse in your avatar? Respect.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    Bizarre...

Mine said I wasn't permitted to build any structure on 50% of the land & that it had to be used as a garden.

While the neighbour seemed reasonable in that structure == building development, somebody else could have moved in and decided that structure == pond, wall, pergola, whatever.... So I walked.
    Garden structures are using it as a garden.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I had this, apparently i can have pigs and cows on my land but not chickens. No idea why.

qh
    Chickens use to be expensive to keep and buy right up until the 60s, so they probably kept chickens and didn't want any competition.

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied

qh
    Bizarre...

Mine said I wasn't permitted to build any structure on 50% of the land & that it had to be used as a garden.

While the neighbour seemed reasonable in that structure == building development, somebody else could have moved in and decided that structure == pond, wall, pergola, whatever.... So I walked.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    I've been going through all this pain for the last year.

I've had to pull out of a purchase because I wasn't comfortable about some restrictive covenants on the land.

Not a mistake I'm going to make twice. In fact it has put me off buying anywhere new or anything from a developer (this was a renovation job) where, apparently, covenants are quite common.

For example, things that govern what you can/can't have on your drive which may put off people from buying the developers remaining properties. Or needing planning permission to put up a shed, as in my case.

I'm in the process of buying another place now & I'm getting all the assurances I can upfront that there are no legal nasties lurking....

qh

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Builders only care while they are selling the properties after that they don't give a tulip.

Unfortunately you end up with neighbours who are unhappy with vans with no names on them left on the road but councils don't act and builders don't care if all the properties have been sold.
    I've heard they'll gladly amend any such covenants once they've sold all their properties. For a hefty fee....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

I've had to pull out of a purchase because I wasn't comfortable about some restrictive covenants on the land.

Not a mistake I'm going to make twice. In fact it has put me off buying anywhere new or anything from a developer (this was a renovation job) where, apparently, covenants are quite common.

For example, things that govern what you can/can't have on your drive which may put off people from buying the developers remaining properties. Or needing planning permission to put up a shed, as in my case.
    Builders only care while they are selling the properties after that they don't give a tulip.

Unfortunately you end up with neighbours who are unhappy with vans with no names on them left on the road but councils don't act and builders don't care if all the properties have been sold.

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Are you going for good.....
    You still believe in Santa, don't you.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I said WHATEVER! Good day sir! Good day!
    Are you going for good.....

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    I said WHATEVER! Good day sir! Good day!

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Whatever.

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied

I'm in the process of buying another place now & I'm getting all the assurances I can upfront that there are no legal nasties lurking....

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    OK, just wanted to check that you disagreed with yourself, that's all. No one needs to argue with you when you can argue with yourself.
    Whatever.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X