• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What didn't the EU ever do for us?"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Out of intyerest why dont we pay the Icelanders to take all the asylum seekers and migrants? They have plenty of room after all
    Syrians will not be happy in Iceland. They would be happier in Saudi.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Out of intyerest why dont we pay the Icelanders to take all the asylum seekers and migrants? They have plenty of room after all
    Because Iceland already took the prettiest women from Europe.

I'll ask Jon this question over the weekend. Nothing like winding up an Icelander on a drinking session.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Iceland - also got lots of money from IceSave...

Actually, the reasons are more complex than that. My neighbour & dear friend Jón Baldvin Hannibalsson former Icelandic Foreign minister and leader of Iceland's delegation while Iceland participated in forming the European Economic Area, credited for assisting the initial breakup of the USSR and hosting the famous summit between Reagan & that crazy Russian which began the end of the cold war explained it to me in detail over a very boozy dinner at my place. Obviously I was too drunk to remember the detail and am not as eloquent a Jon or his wife Bryndís so I would point you towards this interview last year where he explains his reasoning.

It is an excellent article:

Iceland Will Not Join the European Union - Fair Observer

Interestingly he lives in the sunny EU.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by Antman View Post
    But at what point does the democracy deficit cause politicians to swing from lamp-posts?
    This is the bit that troubles me. Britain hasn't such a history, or at least, recent history, but things are being changed too quickly, without any real consent of the people and I worry where it'll end. The segregation of communities in parts of England has a faint whiff of Northern Ireland about it.
    Last edited by The_Equalizer; 24 February 2016, 11:13.

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    What did the EU ever do for us?

"What did the EU ever do for us?
    Not much, apart from: providing 57% of our trade;
    structural funding to areas hit by industrial decline;
    clean beaches and rivers;
    cleaner air;
    lead free petrol;
    restrictions on landfill dumping;
    a recycling culture;
    cheaper mobile charges;
    cheaper air travel;

improved consumer protection and food labelling;
    a ban on growth hormones and other harmful food additives;
    better product safety;
    single market competition bringing quality improvements and better industrial performance;
    break up of monopolies;
    Europe-wide patent and copyright protection;
    no paperwork or customs for exports throughout the single market;
    price transparency and removal of commission on currency exchanges across the eurozone;
    freedom to travel, live and work across Europe;
    funded opportunities for young people to undertake study or work placements abroad;
    access to European health services;
    labour protection and enhanced social welfare;
    smoke-free workplaces;
    equal pay legislation;
    holiday entitlement;
    the right not to work more than a 48-hour week without overtime;
    strongest wildlife protection in the world;
    improved animal welfare in food production;
    EU-funded research and industrial collaboration;
    EU representation in international forums;
    bloc EEA negotiation at the WTO;
    EU diplomatic efforts to uphold the nuclear non-proliferation treaty;
    European arrest warrant;
    cross border policing to combat human trafficking, arms and drug smuggling; counter terrorism intelligence;
    European civil and military co-operation in post-conflict zones in Europe and Africa;
    support for democracy and human rights across Europe and beyond;
    investment across Europe contributing to better living standards and educational, social and cultural capital.
    All of this is nothing compared with its greatest achievements: the EU has for 60 years been the foundation of peace between European neighbours after centuries of bloodshed.
    It furthermore assisted the extraordinary political, social and economic transformation of 13 former dictatorships, now EU members, since 1980.
    Now the union faces major challenges brought on by neoliberal economic globalisation, and worsened by its own systemic weaknesses. It is taking measures to overcome these. We in the UK should reflect on whether our net contribution of £7bn out of total government expenditure of £695bn is good value. We must play a full part in enabling the union to be a force for good in a multi-polar global future.

Simon Sweeney,

Lecturer in international political economy, University of York

So what didn't it do?
    I'd add bank charges for transfers across Europe to that list in bold, the rest of the list I can't see wouldn't have happened without the EU. That's not to say that what's in bold is peanuts especially the last one.

I'm currently siding out/undecided because of the lack of democracy in the whole structure (Berlusconi wasn't voted out but left, Greece - what was the point of their voting if what they want was over-ruled by the troika?)

I'm worried about the after-shocks for lots of stuff if brexit happens e.g. Fishing rights, it's not just so easy to say to the Spanish "'op it" they're our waters (well it is, but what happens after? the EU club forces us to talk at least and stop things escalating)

But at what point does the democracy deficit cause politicians to swing from lamp-posts?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

All you pro EU people sound like a whiny ex girlfriend we are threatening to dump because she lied & cheated us.
    And anti-EU people sound like whiny old married couples who can't get on with each other and end up sad and decrepit

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    no it was the idea of idiots controlling our currency and being bound financially to other less wealthy nations. That would be much like divorce i.e. you still have to pay even if you have no control of your ex's spending & behaviour.

All you pro EU people sound like a whiny ex girlfriend we are threatening to dump because she lied & cheated us.
    As opposed to sounding like a paranoid constantly ranting about being lied to and cheated on?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
    Who wouldn't laugh at the UK? The biggest reason I remember people getting upset about the idea of dumping the pound for the euro was "loss of our national heritage" - really? Having the currency be called the pound and having a picture of the queen on the front is key to British identity, is it? Cry me a frakking river. It's a wonder the trains aren't still steam-powered!
    no it was the idea of idiots controlling our currency and being bound financially to other less wealthy nations. That would be much like divorce i.e. you still have to pay even if you have no control of your ex's spending & behaviour.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
    More ignorant rightie bollocks spouted by the Daily Moron reading masses
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
    no , because the more you have the more the EU takes

thats a sh iite list , it would all have happened anyway and better as someones already pointed out

we have paid a lot of money for nothing

we play by the rules they dont

they are laughing at the UK

they are un-elected and are on their way to becoming some evil superstate like what you see in the movies
    Who wouldn't laugh at the UK? The biggest reason I remember people getting upset about the idea of dumping the pound for the euro was "loss of our national heritage" - really? Having the currency be called the pound and having a picture of the queen on the front is key to British identity, is it? Cry me a frakking river. It's a wonder the trains aren't still steam-powered!

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    get out asap

no , because the more you have the more the EU takes

thats a sh iite list , it would all have happened anyway and better as someones already pointed out

we have paid a lot of money for nothing

we play by the rules they dont

they are laughing at the UK

they are un-elected and are on their way to becoming some evil superstate like what you see in the movies

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    just a coincidence. Except of course Germany that has managed to take over Europe without having to use a single tank
    Well if the British had any sense and got down to it instead of just moaning all the time maybe they could have

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    just a coincidence. Except of course Germany that has managed to take over Europe without having to use a single tank
    Possibly will lead to a complete reversal of the Westfälischer Friede principle.....

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Funny that. All the countries NOT in the EU have lots of money....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X