• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brexit...I have decided"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Me too, I mean Boris did say this about leaving the EU:
    The full Monty here: Quitting the EU won't solve our problems, says Boris Johnson - Telegraph

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Incredible how people make their minds up on a subject according to who it will hurt the most. I loathe George galloway who is also pro brexit but I am not stupid enough to allow these people to determine what I believe. I just happen to agree with Boris and George on this one (and David Icke too)
    Me too, I mean Boris did say this about leaving the EU:

Quitting the EU won't solve our problems, says Boris Johnson - “that most of our problems are not caused by Brussels, but by chronic British short-termism, inadequate management, sloth, low skills and a culture of easy gratification and under-investment”.
    Isn't that what a self loathing Uk hating liberal leftie would say?

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post

I expect for the rest of the campaign it will be 'a couple', and then return to a more apocalyptic adjective thereafter.
    London?

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    Isn't it already flooded with migrants?
    I think you'll find it was a swarm. But then became a bunch.

I expect for the rest of the campaign it will be 'a couple', and then return to a more apocalyptic adjective thereafter.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up. Will the Channel tunnel be flooded just in case?
    Isn't it already flooded with migrants?

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    no you don't understand if we leave the EU the Berlin wall will be extended to Calais and Britain will be the fortress nation it once was or at least that is what the nice Mr Hameron & Junker said.

Except of course we would be overrun with low cost workers, Asylum seekers & terrorists that currently the EU protect us from.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Will the Channel tunnel be flooded just in case?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    But that's highly unlikely to change regardless of the outcome. People have been coming and going to and from the UK for 2000 years.

Might have to have a bit more paper work though.
    no you don't understand if we leave the EU the Berlin wall will be extended to Calais and Britain will be the fortress nation it once was or at least that is what the nice Mr Hameron & Junker said.

Except of course we would be overrun with low cost workers, Asylum seekers & terrorists that currently the EU protect us from.
    Last edited by vetran; 23 February 2016, 12:27.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    You see, I can live in the EU and still work in the UK, freedom of movement and all that, at least until the 23rd depending upon how it goes...
    But that's highly unlikely to change regardless of the outcome. People have been coming and going to and from the UK for 2000 years.

Might have to have a bit more paper work though.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    And what about all the retiree expats in Spain?
    They can all **** off to a Commonwealth country, some of them are quite nice and warm with beaches

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    we could get Darmy back quick vote remain!
    Actually I come back to the UK quite often to many companies, apparently they don't have the skills although sometimes its to move applications from major financial institutions offshore or into the cloud. You see, I can live in the EU and still work in the UK, freedom of movement and all that, at least until the 23rd depending upon how it goes...

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    The problem, as I see it, is that actually there is no "correct" answer.

There are pro's and con's of staying. There are pro's and con's in leaving. You would have to be completely mad to believe there were no benefits of remaining within the EU OR to believe that it would be total disaster if the UK left.

All the future scenario's presented by by both camps are just guesses.

"If we leave, then UK jobs will vanish, we'll be marginalised and have less influence".

"If we stay we'll be smothered in red-tap, forced into a super-state and over-run by migrants".

Both statements could be true, both could be false, and both could happen whether we were IN or OUT.

Each side are now in full campaign mode so we are not going to get any impartial information as to what are the real benefits of leaving or staying.

I struggle to see what impact the EU really has on my personal life ( I know what it has supposed to have done, free movement, mobile phone tariffs reduce etc etc ) but I don't feel it. So therefore I find it hard come to a strong view on whether my life would be better IN or OUT.

Business-wise is similarly interesting. I run a small software company, selling a product I wrote to the world. My business is split 40% USA, 40% Europe ( ex-UK ) 10% UK 10% Rest of World.

I use a company called Avangate, based in Holland, as a software reseller and to process payments. Would they be unable to work with me if the UK left? No. I doubt it - can't see why they would want to lose my business. And if they did I'd simply move to another provider, probably US based.

So although I read and hear stories about "EU Red Tape" - I don't know what that means for me. What do I have to do as a business that that is "fault" of the EU? Nothing as far as I can tell.

And similarly, if we're OUT then I'm not going to lose access to the European market - I'd simply be reselling my product via a US company (they'd be the reseller) and the Europeans would trade quite happily with the US ( and therefore with me ).

So at the moment I am a "STAY". I would need to hear a compelling argument for me to switch sides. And that aint going to delivered by the blonde man-child that is Borris.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by 2uk View Post
    I wonder if they will kick workers out of employment and back to the UK and vice versa.
    And what about all the retiree expats in Spain?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by 2uk View Post
    I wonder if they will kick workers out of employment and back to the UK and vice versa.
    we could get Darmy back quick vote remain!

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I dunno. What does Borris say?
    Whatever David Icke says?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X