• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Easy Surcharges

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Easy Surcharges"

Collapse

• seanraaron
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    There are certain places where barriers are used to prevent u-turns and also right-turns across traffic. For example( new KFC up the road from Manchester was opened recently; part of the stipulation for their approval was a barrier across the road to prevent access to and from the southbound side of the road to maintain traffic flow.

The Metrolink project is on-going. New lines proposed, a second city centre crossing being built right now and so on. It's okay; the trains are often overcrowded/full and not frequent enough to be a viable alternative to driving to work. Another problem is that public transport is more expensive in Manchester than London; I'm paying £3.40 for a return journey in London that I'd pay over £5 for in Manchester.
    Wow and here's me feeling hard done by because the Glasgow underground went from £1 for a single to £1.40 in the last decade...

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
    That was it! Are you saying cars would make u-turns over the divide otherwise? I had thought it was rampant jaywalkers.

Subsequently I stayed at a self-catered flat in The Atrium which was fab: not far from the train station and next to Chinatown. I haven't been to Manchester in years; should probably do so again now that the tram line is finished (I hope).
    There are certain places where barriers are used to prevent u-turns and also right-turns across traffic. For example( new KFC up the road from Manchester was opened recently; part of the stipulation for their approval was a barrier across the road to prevent access to and from the southbound side of the road to maintain traffic flow.

The Metrolink project is on-going. New lines proposed, a second city centre crossing being built right now and so on. It's okay; the trains are often overcrowded/full and not frequent enough to be a viable alternative to driving to work. Another problem is that public transport is more expensive in Manchester than London; I'm paying £3.40 for a return journey in London that I'd pay over £5 for in Manchester.

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    Sounds like the Campanile on Ordsall Lane. Ordsall is the roughest estate in Salford, where a lot of the local faces grew up, including the late Paul Massey. The Campanile is just over the road from it.

The barriers across the road aren't an issue. They are there because it's one of the main roads in and out of Manchester, linking the city centre with the M602; it de-risks one side stopping flowing because of an accident on the other side.

The rest of it is standard stuff for a hotel that near to a rough part of town. Stick to the main roads and you're generally fine.
    That was it! Are you saying cars would make u-turns over the divide otherwise? I had thought it was rampant jaywalkers.

Subsequently I stayed at a self-catered flat in The Atrium which was fab: not far from the train station and next to Chinatown. I haven't been to Manchester in years; should probably do so again now that the tram line is finished (I hope).

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    I had a job in Manchester (Sale, actually) and booked my own hotel; sadly without having researched the area and ended up just over the bridge from town centre at a French hotel chain.

Several things tipped me off that I was in a sketchy area: a giant chain link fence which separates the hotel from the main road which you'd think would mean there's a driving range in the car park. Barriers down the centre of the road running past the hotel. An electronic gate to enter the hotel car park and lastly, something I've never seen in the worst neighbourhoods in an American city: the car park at the MacDonalds/bingo hall across the street had a two-stage barrier that rose out of the pavement to surround your car before you reached the exit gate. I think I was in Salford, if I remember correctly.
    Sounds like the Campanile on Ordsall Lane. Ordsall is the roughest estate in Salford, where a lot of the local faces grew up, including the late Paul Massey. The Campanile is just over the road from it.

The barriers across the road aren't an issue. They are there because it's one of the main roads in and out of Manchester, linking the city centre with the M602; it de-risks one side stopping flowing because of an accident on the other side.

The rest of it is standard stuff for a hotel that near to a rough part of town. Stick to the main roads and you're generally fine.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Stayed in a Best Western near JFK the night before I flew home. Bed had plastic sheets
    You sure Suity hadn't been staying there?

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    Stayed in a Best Western near JFK the night before I flew home. Bed had plastic sheets and the reception desk had bullet proof glass.

Scary place
    I had a job in Manchester (Sale, actually) and booked my own hotel; sadly without having researched the area and ended up just over the bridge from town centre at a French hotel chain.

Several things tipped me off that I was in a sketchy area: a giant chain link fence which separates the hotel from the main road which you'd think would mean there's a driving range in the car park. Barriers down the centre of the road running past the hotel. An electronic gate to enter the hotel car park and lastly, something I've never seen in the worst neighbourhoods in an American city: the car park at the MacDonalds/bingo hall across the street had a two-stage barrier that rose out of the pavement to surround your car before you reached the exit gate. I think I was in Salford, if I remember correctly.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Stayed in a Best Western near JFK the night before I flew home. Bed had plastic sheets and the reception desk had bullet proof glass.

Scary place

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied

Scary place

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    My holiday in New York I stayed in a hotel on the Upper West Side of Manhattan at the Hotel Newton. Not the fanciest, but affordable and across the street from the subway and walking distance to the Natural History museum. Had a private bathroom (surprisingly rare for £100/night hotels on the island) and a window. Of course the view was of surrounding buildings and a ventilation duct. The buildings were so tall you couldn't tell what time of day it was, so not much use.

My no-frills hotel chain experience in the UK has been limited to that purple one that Lenny Henry was shilling for a few years ago. I stayed there before wifi in hotels became the norm and laptops still had modems. I'm there on business and there's no in-room phone - not even to call the front desk. Also no complimentary flannel - the hell with those guys!
    Must say, the purple one has improved a lot; definitely better than the cheaper blue alternative. The kids don't deserve more so we tend to use them when visiting family.

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
    Fab. Worst dive was a hotel in Girvan I didn't realise was above a pub and not a nice one at that. I was taking my daughter for a weekend of fossil-hunting and only needed the room for one night. Needless to say I wouldn't do that again, but my kid was all about the novelty of staying in a hotel and didn't mind, what a trooper. Then just in December I took her to Israel and stayed in a cheap hotel the first and last night in Tel Aviv which turned out to be above a disco, ugh.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    A window: yep. That's right. £5 extra for a room with a window.
    Charge 'em for the lice, extra for the mice
    Two percent for looking in the mirror twice
    Here a little slice, there a little cut
    Three percent for sleeping with the window shut

Leave a comment:

• I just need to test it
    replied
    I stayed here once.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTo..._Scotland.html

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied

Yes, it was the one near Heathrow so not exactly breathtaking.

It seemed odd because I'd never staying in a hotel room that didn't have a window before.

Won't be staying there again though, window or not.
    My holiday in New York I stayed in a hotel on the Upper West Side of Manhattan at the Hotel Newton. Not the fanciest, but affordable and across the street from the subway and walking distance to the Natural History museum. Had a private bathroom (surprisingly rare for £100/night hotels on the island) and a window. Of course the view was of surrounding buildings and a ventilation duct. The buildings were so tall you couldn't tell what time of day it was, so not much use.

My no-frills hotel chain experience in the UK has been limited to that purple one that Lenny Henry was shilling for a few years ago. I stayed there before wifi in hotels became the norm and laptops still had modems. I'm there on business and there's no in-room phone - not even to call the front desk. Also no complimentary flannel - the hell with those guys!

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    No doubt the view would be just as inspiring!

Yes, it was the one near Heathrow so not exactly breathtaking.

It seemed odd because I'd never staying in a hotel room that didn't have a window before.

Won't be staying there again though, window or not.

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Just like on a cruise then.
    No doubt the view would be just as inspiring!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X