• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: london living

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "london living"

Collapse

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    Agreed.

Nice to see useful and sensible advice for a change.
    Agreed.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon
    Sas, you are in a most agreeable mood this afternoon...
    Agreed.

Nice to see useful and sensible advice for a change.
    Last edited by sasguru; 17 October 2006, 15:55.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Sas, you are in a most agreeable mood this afternoon...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Hart-floot
    Surely you mean Bromley is suburban?!?!

For Inner London I'd go for the old Victorian/Edwardian areas of south/so east London, like Sydenham, Forest HIll, Crystal Palace, Brockley, GipsyHill. Area's that are a little run down but full of decent housing stock, good parks compared to the rest of london, good links to the City thru London Bridge/cannon st/charing x that are now on the up especially when the underground arrives.
    SW postcodes south of the river are nice but expensive.

Areas to avoid, Docklands (no community) , East London generally (becomming a ghetto) and NW London
    Agreed.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by nucastle
    Dont move to clapham unless you fancy being shoulder to shoulder with drunken, jumped up twenty somethings with nothing better to do than drink in the overpriced bars every night.

Its devoid of any real shops, amenities or spirit.

The northern line ride from there is apparently one of the most soul destroying things ever as well.

Ive been there on a few nights out and its OK - but live there? No thanks.
    Agreed.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    You are all probably not aware of how expensive is Balham now. For a 2-bed house we are talking well over 400k. Not sure I would really spend that money to be on zone 3 only because of the pubs and restaurants. It still is a alittle bit dodgy in my opinion as it kept his original character.
    Agreed.

Leave a comment:

• Hart-floot
    replied
    Originally posted by n5gooner
    I think being single I'd go for somewhere like Highbury, as Bromley is a little bit more urban.
    Surely you mean Bromley is suburban?!?!

For Inner London I'd go for the old Victorian/Edwardian areas of south/so east London, like Sydenham, Forest HIll, Crystal Palace, Brockley, GipsyHill. Area's that are a little run down but full of decent housing stock, good parks compared to the rest of london, good links to the City thru London Bridge/cannon st/charing x that are now on the up especially when the underground arrives.
    SW postcodes south of the river are nice but expensive.

Areas to avoid, Docklands (no community) , East London generally (becomming a ghetto) and NW London

Leave a comment:

• nucastle
    replied
    Dont move to clapham unless you fancy being shoulder to shoulder with drunken, jumped up twenty somethings with nothing better to do than drink in the overpriced bars every night.

Its devoid of any real shops, amenities or spirit.

The northern line ride from there is apparently one of the most soul destroying things ever as well.

Ive been there on a few nights out and its OK - but live there? No thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by hattra
    How about the "gateway to the south" - good old Balham! I had a two-bed flat there up until about 10 years ago, and had both the overground and underground within three minutes walk. I'm sure it's a lot more expensive than it used to be, but you've got Wandsworth, Clapham and Tooting Bec commons, and reasonable restaurants and pubs (or used to have). It also only takes about 20 minutes into Victoria, or you can get to the City on the Northern line
    You are all probably not aware of how expensive is Balham now. For a 2-bed house we are talking well over 400k. Not sure I would really spend that money to be on zone 3 only because of the pubs and restaurants. It still is a alittle bit dodgy in my opinion as it kept his original character.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    I have two flats in Higbury, both conversions, one with a garden, 3 bed and 2 bed, its a nice quiet area, and a very short walk to the more buzing areas of upper Street, nice parks near by as well. I also have a 6 bed house in Bromley, more urban, near to parks, and just 10 minutes walk into the shops & pubs. All very nice.

I think being single I'd go for somewhere like Highbury, as Bromley is a little bit more urban.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by kramer
    most of them are northern lasses on the run anyway.... send em back so we can give them a smack for running away!
    You're right, we'll send you back the fat ugly ones from the North.

Seriously though, there's a really fit one from up North who works just a few desks away, lovely figure and always wears great tight trousers or skirts. mmmmm

Leave a comment:

• kramer
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN
    Stay up North, and stay away from our women.
    most of them are northern lasses on the run anyway.... send em back so we can give them a smack for running away!

Leave a comment:

• hattra
    replied
    How about the "gateway to the south" - good old Balham! I had a two-bed flat there up until about 10 years ago, and had both the overground and underground within three minutes walk. I'm sure it's a lot more expensive than it used to be, but you've got Wandsworth, Clapham and Tooting Bec commons, and reasonable restaurants and pubs (or used to have). It also only takes about 20 minutes into Victoria, or you can get to the City on the Northern line

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by kramer
    thanks alll
    just to clear things up though... i am married no kids..
    2 bedrooms is a must...

Stay up North, and stay away from our women.

Leave a comment:

• kramer
    replied
    thanks alll
    just to clear things up though... i am married no kids..
    2 bedrooms is a must...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X