• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How often do you take off dividends"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Yeah, we have a mortgage with Santander and I think the cashback on that alone covers the fee.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    O/T Have you seen the changes to the Santander 123 accounts? They have upped the fee's
    Yes, but as long as you have enough money (£9000 as a basic rate tax payer, £8600 from April) then it's the best account to have for the interest alone. My joint account gets more than £5 a month back in cashback every month before the interest charges.

Martin Lewis says that as long as you have some cashback and at least £5k then it's probably the best to have still.

I'm considering opening a third one in the new tax year as well.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Some people have suggested that it might look like salary, but as long as the paperwork is correct and there is profit to cover it then you should be fine.

When I pay mine I have a different payment reference, I have the paperwork (voucher and meeting minutes), and I know there is plenty of retained profit so even if I moved to monthly dividends then I wouldn't worry about it.

I used to have an offset mortgage so at the start of the tax year I'd take a big dividend and whack it in there to reduce the interest bill. Now that I don't have the mortgage, I whack a lump sum into my different Santander 123 accounts and get some interest that way.
    O/T Have you seen the changes to the Santander 123 accounts? They have upped the fee's

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    I do it as and when which ends up being monthly or more. But next year I might move to quarterly then annually after a few years.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    I generally issue them Ad-hoc but hopefully I'll move to twice yearly in the new financial year.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Cheers everyone, I have always avoided monthly dividends as I thought it looked dodgy, was surprised to see a quarter of people do this.

I started Ad-hoc and moved to twice yearly
    Some people have suggested that it might look like salary, but as long as the paperwork is correct and there is profit to cover it then you should be fine.

When I pay mine I have a different payment reference, I have the paperwork (voucher and meeting minutes), and I know there is plenty of retained profit so even if I moved to monthly dividends then I wouldn't worry about it.

I used to have an offset mortgage so at the start of the tax year I'd take a big dividend and whack it in there to reduce the interest bill. Now that I don't have the mortgage, I whack a lump sum into my different Santander 123 accounts and get some interest that way.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Ah, it's just your phrasing "You don't declare a dividend if the company is [using ALL profits] making employer contributions to the pension plan" seemed quite a strong statement. In the context being discussed, fine, just checking!

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Cheers everyone, I have always avoided monthly dividends as I thought it looked dodgy, was surprised to see a quarter of people do this.

I started Ad-hoc and moved to twice yearly

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Right... but surely in post cases a company would make some pension contribution and still issue dividends, rather than plough all 'profit' into the pension.
    Well, let's go back to what was originally said:

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
    Where's the "Never, MyCo puts it into my pension" option?
    Adhoc... you just never need them.
    The first quote implies that in that situation, the company never pays a dividend - I'm deducing this from their use of the word "never".

Your post then talks about declaring adhoc dividends - which isn't the case if the company never makes a dividend, as implied by the post that you were answering.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Right... but surely in post cases a company would make some pension contribution and still issue dividends, rather than plough all 'profit' into the pension.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Why?
    Because it's not a dividend.

Dividends are paid to the shareholders in proportion of the number of shares that they own, and must be paid from profit. Employer pension contributions are a cost to the business and reduce the amount of profit available to pay dividends.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    You don't declare a dividend if the company is making employer contributions to the pension plan.
    Why?

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    The same round-sum amount, 2-4 times per year, effectively ad-hoc but based on the company's ability to pay rather than when I need it.

I.e. whenever retained profit exceeds a threshold.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    The dividend tax will hit me for about 2k a year

so I take out all my cash up to 2k income tax just before April 2016.

then if I need to bail out of my limited, its all a lot smoother

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Every hour.

HTH

sasguru

Leave a comment:

Working...
X