• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "It's PDR time at one of my current clients"

Collapse

• itsmyjobtojobhop
    replied
    I could never take appraisals seriously!

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Every time I here the words 'PDR', I thank my lucky stars I am a contractor, and don't have to suffer that tulip.
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Ah. An appraisal. Why don't they just say that?

In 15 years of on/off permiedom I only ever had to do that twice.
    To me they really were a waste of time!

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    FTFY

Saddle myself with tulip loads of debt, for a property I will lose when the crash comes - it's my call.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Shame you can't say the same about purchasing that big house
    Saddle myself with tulip loads of debt - it's my call.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    What I love, is not needing to get permission to do things all the time. If I want to bid for a piece of work, or collaborate with another company - it's my call. If I want to get some new IT equipment, go on a training course, or buy some books - it's my call. If I want to go to a conference for a week - it's my call.
    Shame you can't say the same about purchasing that big house

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    The best thing about contracting is you can behave like a true director.
    Even if your performance has been totally carp, you can award yourself a nice healthy bonus
    What I love, is not needing to get permission to do things all the time. If I want to bid for a piece of work, or collaborate with another company - it's my call. If I want to get some new IT equipment, go on a training course, or buy some books - it's my call. If I want to go to a conference for a week - it's my call.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Even if your performance has been totally carp, you can award yourself a nice healthy bonus
    You have to incentives the work force!

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    I never suspected you might have principles...
    How dare you .

Yes, one of them was making a lot more money.

principle achieved

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    One of the principal things that led me into contracting, in the first place.
    I guess I just lost hope
    I never suspected you might have principles...

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Can tell you've been a contractor forever; the secret to managing permies is to give them some hope, even when they're more likely to win the lottery than get a pay rise.
    One of the principal things that led me into contracting, in the first place.
    I guess I just lost hope

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    A performance and development review is a 360 process that means you get to set SMART objectives...

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    FTFY
    Can tell you've been a contractor forever; the secret to managing permies is to give them some hope, even when they're more likely to win the lottery than get a pay rise.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    FTFY

A performance and development review is a 360 process that means you get to set SMART objectives and justify why you have more chance of winning the lottery than achieving them. Management will then, easily, prove that you haven't achieved them, which allows them to keep you on the same wage, for the foreseeable future.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Ah. An appraisal. Why don't they just say that?

In 15 years of on/off permiedom I only ever had to do that twice.
    An appraisal sounds brief and everyone knows what it is. A performance and development review is a 360 process that means you get to set SMART objectives, justify why you aren't going to achieve them and then prove that you haven't achieved them, which allows your slavemasters to keep you on the same wage.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Pontoon. At the end of a meeting do you shout 21?
    Pontoon indeed and a very common situation in IB.

More than a bleedin' pain in the harris, as you can possibly imagine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X