• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do you work local to where you live?"

Collapse

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    The world is my playground

No, hundreds of miles away

Leave a comment:

• DannyF1966
    replied
    I'm on my third contract since starting a couple of years ago. First one was 15 miles from home, second was 10 miles, this one is 30 miles, so I've never had to stay away.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Never had to stay away mon-fri. Not for me. But I've always found stuff close-ish to home.

Depends on you're personal situation though. For me it'd be impossible.

Current gig (been over a year) is 90 mins pretty much door to door. Mostly by train. Lot easier than driving. Still a long trek mind.

I stay over occasionally if Im particularly busy or to retain my sanity for just one night.

Leave a comment:

• NibblyPig
    replied
    10 mins by bicycle

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I go where the work is, I have been fortunate enough to get a gig mins from home, and they had to crowbar me out of that contract!

Currently between 90 and 120 min drive from home, but back each night
    Thats a killer!

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Working out of a suitcase (well 2 suitcases) for the last 12 years, where is home again

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Varies a lot. I've been within reach of home for the last couple of years, and also for around twelve months a couple of years before that. But overall, I've worked away much more.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    I've been pretty lucky compared to most on here, never had to work away from home, and the longest commute I've had has been 1.5 hours on train/bus last summer due a train line being closed (only lasted 6 weeks or so and it went back down to an hour).

Current contract has been a pleasant surprise. We moved to our new house in June, having no idea there were any IT places nearby.

10 minute walk to the new place!

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    First time in seven years, I've got something half an hour away

I'm sure it's a one off
    It'll never last...........BOOMED

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    First time in seven years, I've got something half an hour away

I'm sure it's a one off

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Salient point well made sir. By local, I mean home most nights.
    I am home everynight but wouldn't say I am local

Leave a comment:

• LucidDementia
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I've been working from home for nearly five years now
    Isn't it time you had a break or at least a day off?

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Trying to define "local" is like trying to define "fair share"
    Salient point well made sir. By local, I mean home most nights.

Leave a comment:

• GlenW
    replied
    From leaving home to sitting my arse at the desk takes just under an hour. A perfect commute for me, any longer and it would be boring, any shorter and I'd still be in grumpy twunt mode.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Trying to define "local" is like trying to define "fair share"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X