• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Life will find a way"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
    I read somewhere that some scientists have a theory that the skill of horseriding is genetically encoded and thus passed to our offspring
    Yeah. Those who are crap at it get thrown and die before they breed.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    MrsBP once told her best friend that her son was a real pain. "You can see where he gets it from" she said. Her friend replied "Yes - you are a real pain at times". Mrs BP "Not me - BP".

Not that I would dare agree.
    Which one was this? 1, 2, 3 or 4 ?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    In your experience, would you ever blame it on your wife?
    MrsBP once told her best friend that her son was a real pain. "You can see where he gets it from" she said. Her friend replied "Yes - you are a real pain at times". Mrs BP "Not me - BP".

Not that I would dare agree.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Stress is generically inherited. You get it from your children.
    In your experience, would you ever blame it on your wife?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I read somewhere that some scientists have a theory that the skill of horseriding is genetically encoded and thus passed to our offspring
    Stress is generically inherited. You get it from your children.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    I read somewhere that some scientists have a theory that the skill of horse-riding is genetically encoded and thus passed to our offspring
    Bet it is

Leave a comment:

• NibblyPig
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Sahara Desert Greening Due to Climate Change?

"The nomads there told me there was never as much rainfall as in the past few years," Kröpelin said. "They have never seen so much grazing land."

"Before, there was not a single scorpion, not a single blade of grass," he said.

"Now you have people grazing their camels in areas which may not have been used for hundreds or even thousands of years. You see birds, ostriches, gazelles coming back, even sorts of amphibians coming back," he said.

"The trend has continued for more than 20 years. It is indisputable."

Forecasting how global warming will affect the region is complicated by its vast size and the unpredictable influence of high-altitude winds that disperse monsoon rains, Claussen added.

"Half the models follow a wetter trend, and half a drier trend."

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I read a great book a couple of years ago - The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science: Amazon.co.uk: Norman Doidge: 9781491513354: Books - the animal experiments are unpleasant but the results are fascinating.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    started a topic Life will find a way

Life will find a way

Remember that line in Jurassic park, when they find the egg shell that proves the dinosaurs were now breeding ?

There is a remarkable story here that shows how genetic adaption and survival of the fittest can work over decades, as opposed to millenia

Working...
X