• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Finally.

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Finally."

Collapse

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    On behalf of DA, I withdraw his withdrawal.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    That's a bit harsh, Spontaneous may be a plodding, pedantic, pettifogging, tedious, self-regarding, point-missing,disingenous,nitpicking,needlesly offensive, boorish, vapid, juvenile sophist.

But I wouldn't call him a twat.
    On behalf of DA, I withdraw his withdrawal.

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Just call him a "twat"
    That's a bit harsh, Spontaneous may be a plodding, pedantic, pettifogging, tedious, self-regarding, point-missing,disingenous,nitpicking,needlesly offensive, boorish, vapid, juvenile sophist.

But I wouldn't call him a twat.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Just call him a "twat"
    In the spirit of christmas I withdraw that

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I really don't understand how so many people can't tell the difference between causation & correlation.

1) Desire to cause offence -> call someone something insulting -> offence probably taken.
    2) Desire to accuse -> accuse someone accurately -> no offence taken.
    3) Desire to accuse -> accuse someone inaccurately -> potential for offence to be taken.

The fact that points 1 and 3 both involve the potential to cause offence does not make accusations & insults synonymous.

You should be able to see the paradox in telling a lie to insult someone by accusing them of being a liar ?
    So, as I said, not a very good insult. Much better for making an accusation.
    Just call him a "twat"

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Well, I'm just a dopey moron but it seems to me that the 'red inside' bit is asserting that the 'watermelon' in question is accused of using environmentalism to conceal an anti-capitalist agenda.

Dishonest is not something that people are 'happy to be'.
    I really don't understand how so many people can't tell the difference between causation & correlation.

1) Desire to cause offence -> call someone something insulting -> offence probably taken.
    2) Desire to accuse -> accuse someone accurately -> no offence taken.
    3) Desire to accuse -> accuse someone inaccurately -> potential for offence to be taken.

The fact that points 1 and 3 both involve the potential to cause offence does not make accusations & insults synonymous.

You should be able to see the paradox in telling a lie to insult someone by accusing them of being a liar ?
    So, as I said, not a very good insult. Much better for making an accusation.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Well, I'm just a dopey moron but it seems to me that the 'red inside' bit is asserting that the 'watermelon' in question is accused of using environmentalism to conceal an anti-capitalist agenda.

I know my IQ is negligible by comparison to yours so it cannot possibly the case that you know all this perfectly well, and are indulging in disingenuousness and sterile semantics. It must be the Socratic Method. Or something.

The jibe may have had a grain of truth once, however Governments of all colours signed up to the Paris treaty, and many of the organisations supporting action are true blue capitalists, seeing the risk to their future profits.

Climate change & climate protection | Munich Re
    One thing is for sure climate change is not something you are actually worried about.

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    So... you mean it's not an insult then? It's a shorthanded misrepresentation of motives?

I know my IQ is negligible by comparison to yours so it cannot possibly the case that you know all this perfectly well, and are indulging in disingenuousness and sterile semantics. It must be the Socratic Method. Or something.

The jibe may have had a grain of truth once, however Governments of all colours signed up to the Paris treaty, and many of the organisations supporting action are true blue capitalists, seeing the risk to their future profits.

Climate change & climate protection | Munich Re

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Thing is the only viable long term solution is to invest in space.

The human population will keep growing and that alone means that there will be an increasing impact on the planet regardless of what we do.

If we had decided this back in the 80's instead of focusing on trying to 'fix' earth we would be a lot closer to achieving that goal.
    Which is the route that the Human race will eventually follow despite the left's attempts to return us all to mud huts.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    More like a convenient solution to treating excrement.
    You should try it sometime. it may do wonders for you.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    BS. The term is used by those on the libertarian right to misrepresent the motives of environmentalists

So... you mean it's not an insult then? It's a shorthanded misrepresentation of motives?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Thing is the only viable long term solution is to invest in space.

The human population will keep growing and that alone means that there will be an increasing impact on the planet regardless of what we do.

If we had decided this back in the 80's instead of focusing on trying to 'fix' earth we would be a lot closer to achieving that goal.

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    In the meantime the inconvenient solution to climate change makes progress
    More like a convenient solution to treating excrement.

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    At last.
    pj comes up with a hypothesis that is both falsifiable and replicable. many times
    I hope you got a receipt from that charm school.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    There is absolutely no scientific proof that sticks and stones will break my bones.
    At last.
    pj comes up with a hypothesis that is both falsifiable and replicable. many times

Leave a comment:

Working...
X