• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Earliest call from an agent??"

Collapse

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    It's not a Bob company in Reading by any chance ?

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    If the place I thought it was, just 10 minutes walk.

Trying to negotiate 3 days local and 2 days in Reading. Wilmslow is near Manchester.

Start of a new programme, greenfield, as many virgins I would like promised and all of that.......

Rate I was kind of pushed into was very low, but only for an easy local commute.
    Reading is expensive, lot's of tech money. Unless you drive a C1 Diesel for your commute and are prepared to live as a hermit £100 per day isn't going to cut it if you have to spend more than 2 says there, especially if the initial rate was low in the first place.

I think if you push too hard they'll end up with a local candidate anyway, which there are lots of in the M4 Corridor, I'd pass - particuarly if my first impression of the relationship was this bonkers recruitment process.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    It is the financial industry.

Got the call with the person who gives me information.

He was checking I was okay with the location. It is perfect location, just 10 minutes walk from Wilmslow Towers as per all conversations and the jobserve posting.

Wrong. It is now moved to Reading, they expect the same rate.

Does bumping up the rate by around £100 a day cover travel and hotel for the Reading area would you think?
    Hang on. At the start it was 'half your normal rate.' Now its in Reading and another 100 on top of the half your rate, rate is ok? For Reading?

Are you sure you're not having a dream \ mare?

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    How far away are you and what level of accomodation do you expect? How long is the gig? These are pretty key to the rate increase.
    If the place I thought it was, just 10 minutes walk.

Trying to negotiate 3 days local and 2 days in Reading. Wilmslow is near Manchester.

Start of a new programme, greenfield, as many virgins I would like promised and all of that.......

Rate I was kind of pushed into was very low, but only for an easy local commute.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied

He was checking I was okay with the location. It is perfect location, just 10 minutes walk from Wilmslow Towers as per all conversations and the jobserve posting.

Does bumping up the rate by around £100 a day cover travel and hotel for the Reading area would you think?
    How far away are you and what level of accomodation do you expect? How long is the gig? These are pretty key to the rate increase.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    What industry is this in if you don't mind me asking? It's surreal.
    Guess it is for the role of a Milk man.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    What industry is this in if you don't mind me asking? It's surreal.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Yet another call at 12:12 confirming the information phone call at 12:30 in 17 minutes time.

Sheesh.....Kebab. This is surreal.

They think they own my soul.
    And they will have to discover they can only rent it! For an exorbitant daily rate!

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Yet another call at 12:12 confirming the information phone call at 12:30 in 17 minutes time.

Sheesh.....Kebab. This is surreal.

They think they own my soul.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Well, that was an interesting experience - I could not understand most of what was said due to the heavy accent.

However, it has now progressed onto a chat at 12:30pm. They told me it was not an interview, but for me to receive some information.

Yesterday they asked me for the name of my bank I use, and if I have any utility builds.

It passes the day which is otherwise spent watching Filmon. I feel like I am in a real life TV sit-com.
    You build utilities?

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Well, that was an interesting experience - I could not understand most of what was said due to the heavy accent.

However, it has now progressed onto a chat at 12:30pm. They told me it was not an interview, but for me to receive some information.

Yesterday they asked me for the name of my bank I use, and if I have any utility builds.

It passes the day which is otherwise spent watching Filmon. I feel like I am in a real life TV sit-com.

Leave a comment:

• MarkT
    replied
    I really didn't know that people took calls from agents. I have always put a prepaid phone number (and not bother putting the sim in a phone) on my CV and my email address. I had assumed many people did the same.

The

Dear Mr Clearedfor,

I have tried contacting you by telephone about the following role, but am unable to reach you, could you email me your number or be so kind as to give me a telephone call to discuss it

email,is often, but not always, quite a good filter.
    I tend to allow them to leave me a message on my mobile, most of the time only decent agents call me, I've had a few dodgy ones, but on the whole, the get me work.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    I really didn't know that people took calls from agents. I have always put a prepaid phone number (and not bother putting the sim in a phone) on my CV and my email address. I had assumed many people did the same.

The

Dear Mr Clearedfor,

I have tried contacting you by telephone about the following role, but am unable to reach you, could you email me your number or be so kind as to give me a telephone call to discuss it

email,is often, but not always, quite a good filter.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    True true. But it is good news! How else do you measure how good you are?
    Very true

Leave a comment:

Working...
X