• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why do the captured in Syria sit there when being beheaded?"

Collapse

• SaltyLevels
    replied
    I’m from, or was from, the leave them alone camp; I believe it wasn’t Einstein who said it, but whoever said it, it’s apt; a definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and an over again but expecting different results. We’ve been, in some fashion, at war in this region since the 70’s. 2 of my brothers have fought here, as has my Dad. To have a policy of arming one branch who are against another branch, to find out that branch are properly naughty, so arm another branch, then find out they are worse, so arm the previous branch as maybe they weren’t so bad, then to arm a new bunch as they promise not to be bad, but turn out bad so we arm someone else, rinse and repeat, seems folly. This is a war we cannot win by conventional means, as they don’t operate by conventional means; they hide in hospitals, schools, use human shields, cut throats, torture, burn people alive, rape, enslave. None of this would be solved using conventional ‘terms of engagement’.

However, what are the alternatives? If we leave them alone, they might (I doubt it), leave us alone, but the likelihood is that they get hold of some proper juicy weapons and we’re all up tulip creek.

I hate it, hate myself for saying it, but for me, if we are going to pop some bombs and stir it up some more, then we have to properly commit and destroy them, and a couple of tornado’s are not going to deliver that. Once and for all, we need to solve it and that will mean boots on the ground and a war. A proper war, not some rules of engagement.

As an aside, I read a story once, that the Mujadeen (sp?) mocked the yanks but feared the Russians. The story said when Spetsnaz caught the mujadeen, they would torture them, properly, keep them alive but remove fingers knuckle by knuckle, repair them, then carry on until they either died or gave it up, which would lead to a bullet to the head, or sometimes they’d cut their throats and leave them on the streets. The yanks would throw them in jail with 3 square meals and if they were screwed with, the soldiers were punished.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
    You clearly are unable to remember what you yourself wrote. But don't worry your pretty little head about it. Settle yourself into your armchair and I'll arrange to have someone sort you out with some hot cocoa. Like I say, I've actually done war, so I know first hand how dirty it is, unlike you, I strongly suspect. I even know, having done it, how necessary it can be too.
    Silly little girl. I clearly remember what I posted. But, I cant help it if you place a misunderstanding on it.

You say you know how dirty it is first hand. How do you know I dont?

You appear to assume you're the only one to be in such a situation. Wake up girl!

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
    if I had to defend my family and way of life I'd pick up the gun faster than you could blink. And I suspect I probably could.
    Then, if you were them, you'd be fighting ISIS instead of leaving it to foreigners.

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

You really are foolish young lady. I dont casually accept the loss of innocents but you carry on your misguided opinion.

War is dirty but war is required to sort out murderous regimes.
    You clearly are unable to remember what you yourself wrote. But don't worry your pretty little head about it. Settle yourself into your armchair and I'll arrange to have someone sort you out with some hot cocoa. Like I say, I've actually done war, so I know first hand how dirty it is, unlike you, I strongly suspect. I even know, having done it, how necessary it can be too.

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    You can't talk objectively about an inherently subjective value judgement. Important to me/us/them...

So yes. A random in London is more important to me than a random in Syria.
    To you yes, who cares what you think though, to a Syrian they will say different, can you see the problem yet? When the penny drops lookup Article 1 of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Leave a comment:

• LucidDementia
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I find this propaganda contrived and slightly unreal.

Does anyone else have that view? Or just me?

Not just you, but trying to convince anyone of it is fruitless.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    FTFY

War is dirty but war is required to sort out murderous regimes, that we have usually helped put in power, in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    [QUOTE=Elliegirl;2180690]

Having spent two years living and working in the middle of a war and witnessing death first hand, I've probably more idea than you think, old man.
    My comment was aimed at how casually you were able to accept the loss of innocent lives. I wonder if you would be so accepting if it were your own life, or the lives of your family or even people you know. I have no idea how you made the massive leap on the basis of my response to concluding that I was anti war but given the number of assumptions you made about me based on nothing perhaps I shouldn't be surprised. But just so you know, if I had to defend my family and way of life I'd pick up the gun faster than you could blink. And I suspect I probably could.
    You really are foolish young lady. I dont casually accept the loss of innocents but you carry on your misguided opinion.

War is dirty but war is required to sort out murderous regimes.

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied

You've really no idea, have you?

No doubt you turn a blind eye when Daesh or whatever we want to call them nowadays murder people out for a meal or attend a concert, cut off people's heads, chuck homosexuals off building, gang rape women and young girls, sell them into slavery, subjugate women by making them wear clothes that only their eye can be seen.

That's before we even talk about equalities you enjoy young lady that those women might dream off if they were not brainwashed.

Yes, war is harsh. Yes, innocents get killed in war. Im not pretending war is clean.

But unlike you, Im not happy to stand on the sidelines or let other countries actually do something and let these murdering bastards get away with it and spread their 'caliphate' unchallenged.

The anti war mob are shysters.
    Having spent two years living and working in the middle of a war and witnessing death first hand, I've probably more idea than you think, old man.
    My comment was aimed at how casually you were able to accept the loss of innocent lives. I wonder if you would be so accepting if it were your own life, or the lives of your family or even people you know. I have no idea how you made the massive leap on the basis of my response to concluding that I was anti war but given the number of assumptions you made about me based on nothing perhaps I shouldn't be surprised. But just so you know, if I had to defend my family and way of life I'd pick up the gun faster than you could blink. And I suspect I probably could.
    Last edited by Elliegirl; 8 December 2015, 22:33.

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    There is one slight problem and its been the main item in the news for the last couple of days to do with the Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge (Bamf) in that they're not processing asylum claims fast enough among other things. They want to put shifts on, employ more staff, etc. and its not going down too well. I know a woman who works in the local Bamf office who has already had to take time off due to stress brought on by overwork (although I think she's just playing the sickness card, civil servants here have it quite easy...)
    Get some contractors in ! Leave it to us Fritz.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

Finally the vetting of those coming is notably stronger. In fact I reckon it's stronger on the boarders now than it is going to the UK, despite being surrounded by water. Although not official most roads I've crossed in and out of into Austria (Skiing season has begun!!) you've got buffered border control. Those that don't qualify are flown back out within the week.

The county is being proactive rather than complaint the EU this the EU that.
    There is one slight problem and its been the main item in the news for the last couple of days to do with the Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge (Bamf) in that they're not processing asylum claims fast enough among other things. They want to put shifts on, employ more staff, etc. and its not going down too well. I know a woman who works in the local Bamf office who has already had to take time off due to stress brought on by overwork (although I think she's just playing the sickness card, civil servants here have it quite easy...)

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    What would psychocandy represent, the Welsh resistance
    I assume PC would be part of the entertainment troop from "It ain't half hot mum"

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You're not keen to enlist?
    Send a droid.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    You can take our lives but you can never take our "VALLLEEEEEYYYYYYSSSSS"
    Isn't it?

qh

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    I was talking objectively, is a random person in London more important than a random person in Syria?
    You can't talk objectively about an inherently subjective value judgement. Important to me/us/them...

So yes. A random in London is more important to me than a random in Syria.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X