• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "oh dear: General seeks UK Iraq withdrawal"

Collapse

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    Too right Mailman !

Next stop is Tehran !

Serfdom and Demockracy here we come !

Last one to the front lines a sissy !
    I thought the next stop was North Korea?

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    The next body count carried by Lancet reading in the millions of jihadi's

Mailman
    Too right Mailman !

Next stop is Tehran !

Serfdom and Demockracy here we come !

Last one to the front lines a sissy !

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

Mailman
    Oh dear. Just when I was thinking your logical skills were getting better.
    That is typical of the whole adventure - no one though what the end result (exit strategy) was going to be. An old, old lesson disregarded.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    What would you count as a success?

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• stackpole
    replied
    What is "the job finished"? Democracy and peace in Iraq? Oh yeah, kiss my arse!

Why the feck did Blair and Scarlett have to sex up that dossier? That's the only reason the invasion got any popular support. Iraq is a worse place now than it was under Saddam Hussein - some achievement!

If we hadn't invaded, all it would be costing us now is a few weapons inspectors, and Saddam would be keeping his eye on al qua'eda - he was patently better at it than we are!

sasguru is right - we've probably got to stay there forever, to save face and offer some semblance of assistance to the Iraqi forces.

Leave a comment:

• Forumbore
    replied
    The clear Evil of this situation can be determined by the fact that Blair and Bush will not send their familys to fight in these War Zones,its your families blood they want sacrificed to meet their vainglorious dubious objectives.

Sorry I meant to say I want to be first to sacrifice myself in the fight for freedom and democracy ....anybody else ?
    Your hysterical opposition to the war has enough logical and normal arguments to support your view. You dont need to make yourself look such an idiot by using this argument. Just apply this argument to "legitimate wars".

Leave a comment:

• John Galt
    replied
    Just let the f8ckers get the job done. Stop the whiney ass bitching, stop clutching at straws evertime a brazilian is shot on the tube...and just let the military get the job done!

FFS, there are far too many terrorist sympathisers in general society!

Mailman

I would have thought that the fact that the military are saying that the 'job' cannot be done would be a fairly good indicator of the state of affairs.
    How is someone who disagrees with the war a terrorist sympathiser - that's a ridiculous statement

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Just let the f8ckers get the job done. Stop the whiney ass bitching, stop clutching at straws evertime a brazilian is shot on the tube...and just let the military get the job done!

Mailman
    Unfortunately I don't agree that the job can be "done". What would you count as a success?

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Like it or not we have to stay there a couple of years longer - if only to save face. I know that's hard on the guys on the frontline - but can't see any alternative. Blair is a bloody **** ****.

Leave a comment:

• John Galt
    replied
    I would not condone rule by committee no - far from it but I do believe that the majority of the people in this country were either against the war or could forsee the consequences. I may be wrong but I believe that if one were to consider only the votes that were cast in the last election Blair would have lost.
    Yes, he is a public servant and it is not considered 'proper' for him to have an opinion but no-one rise to his position without being aware of his political responsibilites - does that not give an indication of his strength of feeling?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Who is saying the Government didnt listen to its military advisors?

Im sure if you dug deep enough you would have found military advisors who warned against invading the Falkland Islands or who advised in favour of increasing Britains military presence in Ireland.

Ah, you favour rule by committee...f8cken hell. Its hard enough trying to get anything done in this country when ever you deal with the goverment BUT if every single decision had to go before the people to decide on what gets done and what doesnt then this country would be even more useless than it currently is!

Really...EVERYONE told Blair did they? So during the election last year...where was this mytical group called "everyone"?

Rubbish...the f8cker shouldnt have opened his big trap in the first place! Like it or not but that general is a public servant and he reports to his boss, the Government.

If he cant play the political game then I fancy his time at the very top of the military is going to be very short indeed.

His poorly timed response hasnt added anything to getting the job done in both Afghanistan and Iraq. If anything it has just made the job that little bit harder because the appeasers, the fair weather friends, the "lets surrender" monkey mob will jump on this as being another feather in their cap of appeasement of terrorists in the middle east.

In fact its a pity old Nev Chamberlain aint about anymore, Im sure he would feel right at home with you lot

Mailman
    Grrrr! It pains me to say this, particularly as I was against the Iraq war right from the start, but I have to agree with Mailman. The General's intervention doesn't add anything to an already fraught situation - and just imagine what would happen if we pulled out immediately - can you imagine the no. of Al Qaeda videos trumpeting victory and by implication suggesting that suicide bombing works?

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Who is saying the Government didnt listen to its military advisors?

Im sure if you dug deep enough you would have found military advisors who warned against invading the Falkland Islands or who advised in favour of increasing Britains military presence in Ireland.

but Governments should listen to...the people of their country come to that
    Ah, you favour rule by committee...f8cken hell. Its hard enough trying to get anything done in this country when ever you deal with the goverment BUT if every single decision had to go before the people to decide on what gets done and what doesnt then this country would be even more useless than it currently is!

everyone told Blair that this would be one almighty
    Really...EVERYONE told Blair did they? So during the election last year...where was this mytical group called "everyone"?

So now he is having to silence the very people that he should have listened to.
    Rubbish...the f8cker shouldnt have opened his big trap in the first place! Like it or not but that general is a public servant and he reports to his boss, the Government.

If he cant play the political game then I fancy his time at the very top of the military is going to be very short indeed.

His poorly timed response hasnt added anything to getting the job done in both Afghanistan and Iraq. If anything it has just made the job that little bit harder because the appeasers, the fair weather friends, the "lets surrender" monkey mob will jump on this as being another feather in their cap of appeasement of terrorists in the middle east.

In fact its a pity old Nev Chamberlain aint about anymore, Im sure he would feel right at home with you lot

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• John Galt
    replied
    No Mailman - no-one is saying that the military should have its own agenda but Governments should listen to their military leaders and the people of their country come to that - everyone told Blair that this would be one almighty ****up but did he listen? No! So now he is having to silence the very people that he should have listened to.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    The clear Evil of this situation can be determined by the fact that Blair and Bush will not send their familys to fight in these War Zones,its your families blood they want sacrificed to meet their vainglorious dubious objectives.
    I dunno bout you but I believe the UK is a signatory to a number of conventions that ban child, especially infant, soldiers

Sorry I meant to say I want to be first to sacrifice myself in the fight for freedom and democracy ....anybody else ?
    Yeah, of course you are Alfy...of course you are

But let me just clear one thing up. Are you guys all saying the military should be independant of the government? Maybe have the ability to set its own agenda?

Mailman

Leave a comment:

Working...
X