• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "London is less safe than Europe - discuss"

Collapse

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    Or maybe you could you be a target?
    For multiple bunches of fanatics .

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    LOL.
    Good comment.

Did happen some many, many, years apart, however.
    As I lived in Brighton, then East London, at the time, it was always more a possibility that I, in particular, could be involved.

I have had a number of other close calls in my life, so don't overly worry about it.
    Which was the point I trying to make.
    Or maybe you could you be a target?

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    I never want to be 20 minutes behind you
    LOL.
    Good comment.

Did happen some many, many, years apart, however.
    As I lived in Brighton, then East London, at the time, it was always more a possibility that I, in particular, could be involved.

I have had a number of other close calls in my life, so don't overly worry about it.
    Which was the point I trying to make.

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied

Actually, I missed being on the 7/7 District line train, that was blown up, by about 20 minutes.
    Do I let that affect my daily life, no.
    Agreed all relative.

I had another close call when I was walking on Brighton West Pier, 20 minutes before they found the IRA bomb.
    As I said, makes no difference to my life whatsoever.
    I never want to be 20 minutes behind you
    Last edited by saptastic; 23 November 2015, 12:06.

Leave a comment:

• Martin Scroatman
    replied
    Looks great, hopefully, lets of outdoor pursuits to do. I'm sure she doesn't like to get bored
    I think Al Shabaab keep her very busy

How's the food there, she's sure to have problems with that, all hunky dory?
    She stocked up last time she was in Nairobi

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Agreed all relative.

I had another close call when I was walking on Brighton West Pier, 20 minutes before they found the IRA bomb.
    As I said, makes no difference to my life whatsoever.

The Lola's of this world is exactly what terrorists want, hence their name

Also, have been to countries far more dangerous than the UK, where they are more likely to target tourists than here.
    Maybe Lola should try Mexico City for size, I loved it there, but, it is likely to be far too dangerous for her.

All those kidnappings, all that violence

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    I went in to Southbank in London on the weekend, and was thinking about this as I crossed Westminster Bridge with the other thousand tourists.

The actual number of terrorist incidents (that make the news) is very very small. The number of people in London is very large. However, human psyche being what it is, the first reaction is to compare the likelihood of an incident with the city in which is occurs, which in your mind increases the probability of being caught in an incident. A macro view.

However, at a micro level, the odds of being the wrong person on the wrong day at the wrong time on the wrong bus/tube/whatever is infinitesimally small.

The odds of an attack in London are quite large, but on a personal level are very very small. Whereas an attack in my parent's small town is highly unlikely - but if one did occur, they would be more likely to be caught in it simply because there are fewer people in their town.

Maybe a statistician can do the math, but I reckon the overall odds would be close.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
    Perhaps she should pay this place a visit.

My old friend Sam from Aylesbury has a guest house there and I'm sure she'd make Lola very welcome
    Looks great, hopefully, lets of outdoor pursuits to do. I'm sure she doesn't like to get bored

How's the food there, she's sure to have problems with that, all hunky dory?

Leave a comment:

• Martin Scroatman
    replied
    If you think London is dangerous, you must have led a very sheltered life.
    Try getting some true travel experience, maybe, even some true dangerous cities, it may open those narrow eyes.
    Perhaps she should pay this place a visit.

My old friend Sam from Aylesbury has a guest house there and I'm sure she'd make Lola very welcome

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by Lola C View Post
    Yep, and 7/7 and Lee Rigby never happened. You are in denial.!
    Where did I say that those events never happened?
    Everything's relative when you consider how little has, actually, happened.

Actually, I missed being on the 7/7 District line train, that was blown up, by about 20 minutes.
    Do I let that affect my daily life, no.

You say you aren't from the UK, I can only assume your home country is an absolute paradise.
    Oh hang on, you don't actually live there, maybe, you can tell me where its is, because I must be missing something.

Originally posted by Lola C View Post
    I am surprised myself, how I could endure this place for such a long time. I dont know what you compare to when you say that food and service are great. Botswana?
    And I am not talking about food in the restaurants, but the regular food shops like Sainsbury and Tesco. Noone eats in restaurants every day, they would end up with food poisoning as lots of places lack the basic hygiene and don't give a damn about the regulations. And it's not only at the restaurants that you find this lack of hygiene. My cornershop sells food but its premises stink mould and damp. It should be forbidden to sell anything there!
    Have you been to Botswana, then?

I don't shop in Sainsbury or Tesco, so cannot comment on the issues you had there.
    I go to decent restaurants, in London, very regularly, I have never food poisoning from any, maybe, I just got lucky.

Anyway, you come across as someone who has very limited experience around the world.

If you think London is dangerous, you must have led a very sheltered life.
    Try getting some true travel experience, maybe, even some true dangerous cities, it may open those narrow eyes.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
    It's a pretty damn good indicator of the risk of being killed by terrorists. Nonetheless we're arguing semantics.

Could you be killed by a terrorist? Yes. Is it likely? Very not.
    Just shows how effective all this anti-terror legislation is then, doesn't it.

Leave a comment:

• LucidDementia
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    If you're looking at deaths in the UK, then look in the mirror. Suicidal people are far bigger killers that suicide bombers.
    I think we'd be hard pressed to find any cause of death which is less likely tbh, barring the occasional Darwin Award winner.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
    It's a pretty damn good indicator of the risk of being killed by terrorists. Nonetheless we're arguing semantics.

If you're looking at deaths in the UK, then look in the mirror. Suicidal people are far bigger killers that suicide bombers.

Leave a comment:

• LucidDementia
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    The 5 deaths per year is from 2012. Since then the number of terrorist murders globally has trebled. Number of deaths per year doesn't necessarily indicate the risk of terrorism.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    The 5 deaths per year is from 2012. Since then the number of terrorist murders globally has trebled. Number of deaths per year doesn't necessarily indicate the risk of terrorism.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X