• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Uber

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Uber"

Collapse

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Interesting how they increase charges in USA for each extra person, surely that's BS - same costs of driving car whether it's 1 or 3-4 people?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Interesting how they increase charges in USA for each extra person, surely that's BS - same costs of driving car whether it's 1 or 3-4 people?
    2xfat=expensive. More gas, suspension damage, ice cream to clean from the seats.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Honest mistake, considering how fat you are...
    Keyboard sent tor a wash, thankyou sir!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    20 minutes later, another $18 charge appears. I then complian, turns out the fecker said there were 4 people in the car and has upcharged me after the fact and after the rating, Now filed a complaint. What a fecking ripoff!!!!
    Honest mistake, considering how fat you are...

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Are you using 1st Class Über, with nice cold champagne offered whilst you are being driven?
    Sounds like he's accidentally installed Fubar. Easy mistake.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Are you using 1st Class Über, with nice cold champagne offered whilst you are being driven?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    You backward people had better get with the program.

Use it all the time in the US. Using the ap, you know exactly where your driver is on the way there, you can track the correct way to your destination, no more silly 'taxi drivers' trying to find the longest or slowest route to maximize their fare and at the end you just get out, already paid, immediate receipt and no tip. And it's cheaper.

What could be easier.

Right. Changed my mind.

I pay have been using it in the US, but only as a receipient of other people. Never used it myself as someone else was always paying.

Registered a few days ago. So far attempted three trips

(1) It says 3 minutes until they arrived. 15 minutes later and two phone calls, driver had gone to the wrong place but eventually turned up. Cost $6 instead of $20 by taxi
    (2) Today, called one for the airport. Driver 5 minutes away, says arrived 10 minutes later. Then again, they've gone to the wrong location and are one minute around the corner. Speak to the driver, she then drives off in the wrong direction, 10 minutes later she's now 15 minutes away. Try to ring, no answer. Cancel it.

Then get charged $5 cancellation fee, which I've just complained about and got back.

(3) Cancelled 2, driver (3) turns up in two minutes. Jump in the car to airport. Taxi is $70 + Tip of $10. Cost to airport is $23 including tip.
    I get out, check the ap, and rate the driver 4 out of 5.

20 minutes later, another $18 charge appears. I then complian, turns out the fecker said there were 4 people in the car and has upcharged me after the fact and after the rating, Now filed a complaint.
    What a fecking ripoff!!!!

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    This is contractor's forum, is it not? And yet, not one mention of Uber Lux. The only way to travel.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluespider View Post

The point being that Taxi drivers, black hacks specifically, are all licenced and regualted. Uber is anyone with a car and a phone that has passed the screening test.
    I thought they\re licensed just like normal cabbies. It's just that uber means you don't have to call a particular company, and the app lets you split fares, etc. etc.

**edit** by cabbie i mean a taxi driver who drives a normal car with a sticker on the side.
    Last edited by SpontaneousOrder; 20 November 2015, 21:40.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
    I can understand the black cab perspective and the impact that companies like Uber have on their bottom line but it is funny sometimes to hear black cabbies call into radio phone ins to say how people are risking their very lives every time they step into an uber cab.
    Black cab drivers have more regulations to adhere to then mini-cab and uber drivers. They also have to hire a particular taxi and be able to take disabled passengers, while as long as other cab firms have some drivers on duty that can take wheelchairs they are fine. Black cab fares are also set in London by TFL which is why they are more expensive.

Funnily enough there are some random journeys that are cheaper by black cab than mini-cab. Though I tend to use my local cab firms including one I can book and pay on line.

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied
    Have been using Uber for about a year and wouldnt turn back now. I was worried at first about entrusting my card details with them as the money comes directly from your credit/debit card, but never had a problem that way.
    The app is excellent. Being able to see the car reg, make and picture of the driver is excellent. I've also used it to order taxis for family members so it's good to see how near/far they are from the destination, as well as arrival.
    Also, because of the rating system, the drivers tend to have a better attitude than most. If you give them 3 stars and below, Uber wants to know why. I have had two drivers (I use taxis A LOT so this is a pretty good hit rate) who I've had cause to complain about. Customer service is superb. Uber contacted me within 24 hours and refunded my fare on both occasions. I did once have a driver who talked at me the whole way through the journey but bad as it was, I didn't think it warranted a formal complaint.
    I should also say I've NEVER had a dirty car. The majority of the vehicles have been new or nearly new Toyota Prius, and last night I had a Mercedes C Class.
    I can understand the black cab perspective and the impact that companies like Uber have on their bottom line but it is funny sometimes to hear black cabbies call into radio phone ins to say how people are risking their very lives every time they step into an uber cab.

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Here in Leeds I use Arrow, there's an app and you can pay advance like Uber, but the clincher for me is you can book in advance too, very handy for that taxi to the airport at 5:30 am.....

And like Uber you can see where the driver is on wee map but unlike Uber he usually finds your street not the one two streets away. Many a time the Uber driver was parked in the housing estate behind Morrisons at Bramley and not in the taxi pick up zone.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a look.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    One time during rush hour I tried to order an Uber and app popped with something like fares are now 50% higher cos of demand. Fook dat, used a local cab...

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The main issue I have with the app is hearing people's accounts have been hacked and the hackers have used their accounts to "take journeys" e.g. help themselves to multiple £20s.

Uber only bothered to compensate people when they went to the media even though they could prove they were either at work, out of the country, etc.
    That is the funny thing, I was on the train home after this night out so I thought I would register just to check it out, downloaded the app, put in my email then it went to a page with my card number displayed asking me for the expiry date. I'm like wow wow wow.

I never had the card so could not go through but it's not really that good if they can pick that up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X