• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "And the good news is"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    No, you are really "out there" that's for sure. Doesn't the Guardian have it's own forum you could join?
    Since I don't subscribe to left-wing groupthink either, that wouldn't work out.
    My left-wing friends view my opinions as unpleasantly right-wing

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Seems to be widely reported.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Judging by the state of the building, I'd say it was a conservative estimate.
    10 mags each.

its possible. They would have had to have a resupply convoy on standy

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I don't subscribe to the CUK groupthink, that's for sure.
    No, you are really "out there" that's for sure. Doesn't the Guardian have it's own forum you could join?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I don't subscribe to the CUK groupthink, that's for sure.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Instead of speculating and making rubbish up, why don't you try reading the timeline first and then commenting?

Paris attacks: How the Saint-Denis raid unfolded - BBC News
    doohg is the resident

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Instead of speculating and making rubbish up, why don't you try reading the timeline first and then commenting?

Paris attacks: How the Saint-Denis raid unfolded - BBC News
    I haven't made anything up, and speculating is the whole point of having a forum. Maybe you should stop being so biased and entertain discussion other than "hurrah we killed him".

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Interesting

Yes, absolutely. Once you're in a fire-fight you have very few options.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-34867205

Leave a comment:

• LucidDementia
    replied
    Well I suppose with 5000 rounds expended
    Is this supposed to be real information?
    Even assuming incompetency on the shooters this would mean a lot of dead people.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by jbond007 View Post
    I believe they did try the element of surprise, flash bang on their door, but it turned out the door was reinforced and then they blocked it with something more once they realised what was happening.
    Interesting

After which all hell broke lose and at that point, trying to arrest someone in that room is nearly impossible
    Yes, absolutely. Once you're in a fire-fight you have very few options.

Leave a comment:

• jbond007
    replied
    Probably, but they are hardly trained to anywhere near the same level.

I'll say again - if a highly trained SWAT team comes through your door without you having prior warning, you do not have time to make a decision whether to fight. It's over before you even realise what's happening.
    They train to avoid getting into an actual fire-fight in the first place.
    I believe they did try the element of surprise, flash bang on their door, but it turned out the door was reinforced and then they blocked it with something more once they realised what was happening.

After which all hell broke lose and at that point, trying to arrest someone in that room is nearly impossible

I also read (probably the guardian) that the police did ask that Hasna character where her boyfriend was, and she replied he isn't my boyfriend and then blew herself up.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Are those the only two options you can think of? Is it not remotely possible that the terrorists, fully aware that they were at the top of the wanted list in Paris, have spent the last 6 nights preparing for a full on assault on whoever turned up to try to capture them and were prepared to take anyone out who tried?
    Probably, but they are hardly trained to anywhere near the same level.

I'll say again - if a highly trained SWAT team comes through your door without you having prior warning, you do not have time to make a decision whether to fight. It's over before you even realise what's happening.
    They train to avoid getting into an actual fire-fight in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck
    replied
    A part of me hopes that he is still alive and they've only said he's dead to prevent the likes of Cherie Blair sticking her oar in. Hopefully he's in a very dark place suffering all sorts of hell as the authorities try to get information from him. When they're done, they can throw in in the sea.

Terrorists do not respect the Geneva Convention, they do not follow the rules of war. They target innocents at work and at play. They should have no expectation that we will play nicely with them.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    I'm not asserting it, I'm wondering it. It seems either it was deliberate, or the op was botched. But there is a lot of "revenge spirit" around right now - understandably of course.
    Are those the only two options you can think of? Is it not remotely possible that the terrorists, fully aware that they were at the top of the wanted list in Paris, have spent the last 6 nights preparing for a full on assault on whoever turned up to try to capture them and were prepared to take anyone out who tried?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I'm not asserting it, I'm wondering it. It seems either it was deliberate, or the op was botched. But there is a lot of "revenge spirit" around right now - understandably of course.
    When dealing with those who wear suicide vests it becomes imperative to "disable" them permanently before they do any more harm to others.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    trying to shoot to disable was out of the question.
    They did disable him though ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X