• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: A Bigger Boom

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A Bigger Boom"

Collapse

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    A clause like that are acceptable if the contract isn't full of other dodgy clauses.
    +1 If it also includes an additional clause requiring you to 'put your hand up if you need to go to the toilet and wait until permission is given' then that is definitely D&C

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    hmmm. Sure I've had that clause in before and QDOS have OKed it.....
    A clause like that are acceptable if the contract isn't full of other dodgy clauses.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Yeah right the client demanded it...
    True, who knows where the terms have come from, the agent may well be (shock horror) telling porkies.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    D&C
    hmmm. Sure I've had that clause in before and QDOS have OKed it.....

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Why no 1? Or is it just the fact that they;re mentioning authorised personnel?
    D&C

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    1) If any of the Authorised Personnel are unable for any unforeseen reason to work on the Service the Contractor should inform the Client or the Company by no later than 10.00 a.m. on the first day of absence"

2) "The Contractor warrants that the Authorised Personnel is a Director and Shareholder of the Contractor company"

These cast in stone at the insistence of the client's HR department, apparently.
    Why no 1? Or is it just the fact that they;re mentioning authorised personnel?

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Jeez some clients really don't get it do they, still looks like you ended up with a better offer from the other place so happy days! I'm sure the original client will get a body in who is a disguised permie and won't even bother with a review
    Yeah right the client demanded it...

I've been told to allow silly clauses like the first one in as long as unenforceable clauses like the second are removed.

I've then recorded the agent stating "I don't care' when following a silly clause like the first one.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    1) If any of the Authorised Personnel are unable for any unforeseen reason to work on the Service the Contractor should inform the Client or the Company by no later than 10.00 a.m. on the first day of absence"

2) "The Contractor warrants that the Authorised Personnel is a Director and Shareholder of the Contractor company"

These cast in stone at the insistence of the client's HR department, apparently.
    Jeez some clients really don't get it do they, still looks like you ended up with a better offer from the other place so happy days! I'm sure the original client will get a body in who is a disguised permie and won't even bother with a review

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Out of interest what did the contract fail on and why is the agent being so stubborn?

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Contract failed QDOS review for this gig and the agent isn't going to budge.

In the meantime I got another offer for £25 pd extra plus it's right in the centre of Bristol.

I did make it clear to the first agent that my accepting the offer was dependent on a successful review so looks like I have my get out clause

Happy days .
    Out of interest what did the contract fail on and why is the agent being so stubborn?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    This'll be the first gig I've ever had where I'm required to wear a suit.

I quite like that in a way. This isn't going to be a place with Google style chillout zones & God forbid I have to do any pair programming at least I'll be bunking up with somebody who is well groomed.

Though, I guess wearing a suit is no guarantee that the owner is wearing clean cacks though

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I hope you have the client details to drop them a polite email to tell them why you unfortunately can't work for them. Dropping in a few names of better agencies...

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Contract failed QDOS review for this gig and the agent isn't going to budge.

In the meantime I got another offer for £25 pd extra plus it's right in the centre of Bristol.

I did make it clear to the first agent that my accepting the offer was dependent on a successful review so looks like I have my get out clause

Happy days .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X