• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The NK Nuke that Wasn't - WTF?"

Collapse

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    Whats really going on...

China is using it's proxy agent North Korea to divert world attention, knowing the US must respond, it is hoping to provoke the US into direct military action.
    Uncle Sam has been responding long before them chingalines got their hands slapped by their lapdogs.

Perhaps though China is starting to wake up to the fact that the regime it has been propping up for the last 50 years is a liability?

The US cannot operate in more than 2 theatres of war at once,and that the current Iraqi & possibility of a future Iranian situation which may require a response will keep US forces occupied in the short term; all of which would leave China free to carry out it's long plan to seize Taiwan unopposed
    Except for a pretty powerful Taiwanese presence that is...not to mention the lack of heavy lifting capability to get everything needed for an invasion a hundred odd miles off the coast.

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    Surely in terms of what you are measuring (the amplitude recorded on the seismograph), 3.0 is exactly one tenth of 4.0?
    My bad, forgot that it uses log (base 10). Yes 3.0, is exactly 1/10th of 4.0.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    No, 3.0 is exactly half of 4.0. And don't get me started on how the media misuse and confuse the terms Epicentre and Hypocentre.

(Bob in did a Seismology module during his degree mode...)
    Surely in terms of what you are measuring (the amplitude recorded on the seismograph), 3.0 is exactly one tenth of 4.0?

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    3.7 is about half the size of 4.0 on the Richter scale isn't it?
    No, 3.0 is exactly half of 4.0. And don't get me started on how the media misuse and confuse the terms Epicentre and Hypocentre.

(Bob in did a Seismology module during his degree mode...)

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    I blame the whole issue on the journalist who first broke the story, the headline had a typo; it should've read "Unclear Test".

Leave a comment:

• The Master
    replied
    I am the brains behind the operation. Although these lizard persons have their uses, they're not the most motivated of species. Cold blooded, don't you know?

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    ... and the Lizard people are slowly taking over the world
    My wife and kids were down in The Lizard on holiday in August. I thought they came back looking a bit funny...

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Whats really going on...

China is using it's proxy agent North Korea to divert world attention, knowing the US must respond, it is hoping to provoke the US into direct military action.

The US cannot operate in more than 2 theatres of war at once,and that the current Iraqi & possibility of a future Iranian situation which may require a response will keep US forces occupied in the short term; all of which would leave China free to carry out it's long plan to seize Taiwan unopposed

... and the Lizard people are slowly taking over the world

.you heard it here first!!

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    I'm no expert but I seem to recall that there are two components needed to make a big bang in a nuclear bomb, and if the second one (Tritium?? It injects a stream of particles that catlyse the reaction. Or something) doesn't arrive at the precise moment you get a slow fission as opposed to a fast one. Still makes a damn big bang, but a lot less than what you were hoping for.

Leave a comment:

• The Master
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    And there was a munitions ship that blew up with 5000 tons aboard, in Halifax, Nova Scotia during WWI or WWII.
    I used to work with someone whose dad was there. Most impressive apparently. Still the world's largest non-nuclear explosion.

Leave a comment:

• The Master
    replied
    Just looked it up. Here are the TNT equivalents for various richter numbers

3.0 29 tons
    3.5 73 tons
    4.0 1,000 tons

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by The Master
    Yes, it is a logarithmic scale.
    3.7 is about half the size of 4.0 on the Richter scale isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Seems like their bomb failed, but they had backup in form of normal explosives.

Does not change one simple fact - North Korea is by far more dangerous than Iraq of 2003.

Leave a comment:

• The Master
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    It was 3.7, not 4...which apparently is a huge difference.
    Yes, it is a logarithmic scale.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    It was 3.7, not 4...which apparently is a huge difference.

But there seems to be something happening here. There are a few reports online that all it would take would be something in the region of 500 tons of explosives, and given the NKers have already pulled a stunt like this before its possible they have done it again

Then again, its possible they got it right too!

Mailman

Leave a comment:

Working...
X