• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Are you a quitter?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are you a quitter?"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
    ^^^What MB said.

We'll vote in perpetuity until we give in. It seems to be a common theme... just look at what's going to happen with Scotland until the SNP get the result they want in an independence referendum.
    You've got that analogy backwards. It'll be the Kippers demanding referendum after referendum to get the change they want; just like the SNP. The EU wants no referenda, no change, and if Britain votes to leave then what the EU wants doesn't come into it.

There's no point to have a repeat referendum unless the mood of the public's changed significantly. The way that might happen is if following the referendum lots of high profile companies start pulling out of the UK and the silent majority that wanted to be left alone and didn't bother to vote suddenly wake up and realise how they've been sold down the river by a more motivated minority. But that's probably a bit fanciful and more likely the decline will be slow, little will change with our relationship with our neighbours, and most people will see the whole referendum debacle as a colossal waste of time and money. Just like the Scottish one.

Everybody agrees the Cameron renegotiating thing is a waste of time, but what we do need to know is what an outside EU Britain would actually be like. Would we be like Norway and Switzerland, still paying into the EU budget and still obeying EU laws, or would we wind the clock back 50 years and reinstall customs at Dover and going back to driving Rovers and eating British grown tomatoes. I don't see how we can vote on it until we can see what the alternative is actually going to be.

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied
    I intend to vote 'out' for the sheer, exciting, risk taking nature of it.
    I'm a contractor. I don't go for the safe option.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    He will get nothing whatsoever out of renegotiations and both parties (in and out) know it.
    WHS

He will get a few crumbs and scraps, but it will be the kind of stuff he could have got anyway, without needing a referendum.

Leave a comment:

• ShandyDrinker
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    We we do an Ireland, and vote repeatedly until the EU gets the result it wants
    ^^^What MB said.

We'll vote in perpetuity until we give in. It seems to be a common theme... just look at what's going to happen with Scotland until the SNP get the result they want in an independence referendum.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Europe is going to be a very different place in 2 years. I wouldn't rule anything out.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    We we do an Ireland, and vote repeatedly until the EU gets the result it wants

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I will wait to see what Call me Dave gets out of the negotiations, it is pointless deciding now when you don't know what one option is.

I expect he will get feck all until it looks likely we will leave then all sorts will be on the table. Europe will not want us to leave, they are in serious trouble with the euro and migration. Us still being in the room gives them comfort.

I might vote no.
    He won't achieve a change to the freedom of movement principle of the EU, and I'm not sure Kippers really care about anything else even when it's something clearly in Britain's (and Britons') interests otherwise they wouldn't be Kippers. Some extra vetoes and opt-outs aren't really going to make much difference.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I will wait to see what Call me Dave gets out of the negotiations, it is pointless deciding now wen you don't know what one option is.

I expect he will get feck all until it looks likely we will leave then all sorts will be on the table. Europe will not want us to leave, they are in serious trouble with the euro and migration. Us still being in the room gives them comfort.

I might vote no.
    He will get nothing whatsoever out of renegotiations and both parties (in and out) know it.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I will wait to see what Call me Dave gets out of the negotiations, it is pointless deciding now wen you don't know what one option is.

I might vote no.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    EU referendum: People backing Brexit are 'quitters' says 'patriotic' In campaign chief Stuart Rose - Telegraph

I am not sure insulting people who disagree with you is the best way forward. I understand the points made by those who want to stay in the EU(to trade with Europe we have to follow their rules so might as well stay in and have a say).

What might be better is if we stayed in Europe and did what other countries do - ignore the rules and do as we please....

No I am not. but if I were, I would be an acoustic, or maybe a 12 fret neck

Leave a comment:

• Project Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    EU referendum: People backing Brexit are 'quitters' says 'patriotic' In campaign chief Stuart Rose - Telegraph

I am not sure insulting people who disagree with you is the best way forward. I understand the points made by those who want to stay in the EU(to trade with Europe we have to follow their rules so might as well stay in and have a say).

What might be better is if we stayed in Europe and did what other countries do - ignore the rules and do as we please....

You're wrong and you smell.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I give up.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Are you a quitter?
    Coming from someone divorced 4 times .....

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    started a topic Are you a quitter?

Are you a quitter?

Working...
X