• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "where do i stand, legally"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by superchief View Post
    A lesson hard learnt, but the piss take was amusing at least.
    And to be fair you took it well and didn't flounce like most do.

Leave a comment:

• superchief
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Yep. BTW if you want proper advice and not all the piss take then post in the right forum area next time and BTW next time you enter into an agreement at least make the effort to understand your situation rather than jump in like a lemming.
    A lesson hard learnt, but the piss take was amusing at least.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Two outstanding invoices, am happy to let them go just for some piece and quiet. My own fault for no contract really.
    Yep. BTW if you want proper advice and not all the piss take then post in the right forum area next time and BTW next time you enter into an agreement at least make the effort to understand your situation rather than jump in like a lemming.

Leave a comment:

• superchief
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    In addition if that have not fully paid up then you have no need to hand over anything
    Two outstanding invoices, am happy to let them go just for some piece and quiet. My own fault for no contract really.

Leave a comment:

• superchief
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveyDavesson View Post
    Ah. That's unusual for IT

Option 1#
    There's no covenants or caveats that will enforce the situation either way. You have no notice period which means you can walk away as-is (as other posters
    have already mentioned). However you may get threats of legal action etc (you left this business under threat due to loss of services).

As you leave the premises for the door shout "I am Spartacus".

OR Option 2:
    A slightly different suggestion... Email the person in charge and say something like : "The level of commitment has changed unfavourably....There is no contract in place....Provide notice of 1 week (which I am not obliged to provide but am doing so in order to allow business continuity)... Kind Regards".

You may end up with a formal contract / better conditions / a formal SLA or just a more professional and courteous exit. It sounds like this is what you'd prefer.

Do not shout "I am Spartacus" on your way out.
    Thanks for the advice, lots can be said in anger.

Thanks to all who answered as well, I did enjoy the comedic responses and alas I shall probably not shout "I am Spartacus" but will probably be thinking "FOR SPARTA".

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    In addition if that have not fully paid up then you have no need to hand over anything

Leave a comment:

• DaveyDavesson
    replied
    The unrealistic demands are really for the amount of work they need doing given the time I have quoted. They have taken my time estimates and essentially said they want it quicker with refusal to pay more money for me to do more hours. It's a no brainer from my side and i have really had enough of it to be fair.
    Ah. That's unusual for IT

Option 1#
    There's no covenants or caveats that will enforce the situation either way. You have no notice period which means you can walk away as-is (as other posters
    have already mentioned). However you may get threats of legal action etc (you left this business under threat due to loss of services).

As you leave the premises for the door shout "I am Spartacus".

OR Option 2:
    A slightly different suggestion... Email the person in charge and say something like : "The level of commitment has changed unfavourably....There is no contract in place....Provide notice of 1 week (which I am not obliged to provide but am doing so in order to allow business continuity)... Kind Regards".

You may end up with a formal contract / better conditions / a formal SLA or just a more professional and courteous exit. It sounds like this is what you'd prefer.

Do not shout "I am Spartacus" on your way out.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Your employer is Batiatus, you are Spartacus and I claim my place in the greatest ludas in all of Capua!
    All that sex with slave girls probably makes up for the lack of contract terms.

Leave a comment:

• superchief
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveyDavesson View Post
    Aside from any verbal agreement you may have had (assuming it was not logged in emails, etc) it would be difficult to prove specific terms.

Can you be more specific about these unrealistic demands you mentioned?
    The unrealistic demands are really for the amount of work they need doing given the time I have quoted. They have taken my time estimates and essentially said they want it quicker with refusal to pay more money for me to do more hours. It's a no brainer from my side and i have really had enough of it to be fair.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Your employer is Batiatus, you are Spartacus and I claim my place in the greatest ludas in all of Capua!

Leave a comment:

• superchief
    replied
    So working without a contract was fine??? Lol
    Well not really fine but I had not considered this to be a long term investment of time. I was only doing it to cover them until they found a permanent developer. I currently hold a full time job as well so this is not something I was prepared to continue doing. As a bit of history, i used to work for the company full time, then the company liquidated and reformed. I decided not to move on with the company (who would after the previous one liquidated) but agreed to help support until they could find a replacement.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    So working without a contract was fine??? Lol

Leave a comment:

• DaveyDavesson
    replied
    Aside from any verbal agreement you may have had (assuming it was not logged in emails, etc) it would be difficult to prove specific terms.

Can you be more specific about these unrealistic demands you mentioned?

Leave a comment:

• superchief
    replied
    Sorry, spelling mistakes, i was typing on my phone.

Barring comedic responses, so i can just stop developing, hand code repositories over and cease work immediately? If that's the case then good (and bad, probably won't get my invoice paid but a small price to pay)

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Hi everyone,

I started working for a company I used to work for on the side. I set everything up by the book to ensure revenue streams are logged and taxed correctly.
    I have been working for the company for 4 months with no contract which has worked fine. However the relationship has turned sour with unrealistic demands being made.

Am I within my rich to simply down tools, hand everything over and walk away?

Thanks
    Yes, just hand back the bucket and mop and tell them to do their own windows..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X