• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Would this happen in any other country ?"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The news stated someone in "military uniform" so I thought it was the army as RAF and Navy personnel tend to be better behaved.
    Here speaks the voice of the pig-ignorant.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    Really? I'm not sure they aren't thrown away after they're done with.
    No I must correct you there. That only happens to those that serve in wars that the USA loses (e.g.Vietnam).

HTH

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Incidentally, every single version of this story online is copied directly from the original source: The Sun. So it's probably not even true in the first place

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Or maybe hospital staff could invite that small number of people who dislike them to use NHS services provided by some 3rd world countries, which this country would have become without strong armed forces?
    That would be even better

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    with the same fervour that the Yanks do.
    Really? I'm not sure they aren't thrown away after they're done with.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    They could be supported by, for example, hospital staff inviting them to sit in a place where they won't be harassed by the small number of people who dislike them, rather than leaving them in the waiting room.
    Or maybe hospital staff could invite that small number of people who dislike them to use NHS services provided by some 3rd world countries, which this country would have become without strong armed forces?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    I am amazed that "we" don't support those who defend our Nation with the same fervour that the Yanks do.
    They could be supported by, for example, hospital staff inviting them to sit in a place where they won't be harassed by the small number of people who dislike them, rather than leaving them in the waiting room.

Oh, wait, a hospital just tried that and got a load of abuse from idiots for its trouble. Back to the drawing board…

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    I have been in service, my late father too. When he had a detached retina, event though he had cleared out of the military 50 years prior, they sorted him out. I have had to use the military medial corps too, though within service.This was in South Africa, having both served in two different armies.

I am amazed that "we" don't support those who defend our Nation with the same fervour that the Yanks do.
    Last edited by Scruff; 26 September 2015, 21:36.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    The news stated someone in "military uniform" so I thought it was the army as RAF and Navy personnel tend to be better behaved.
    You mean sailors who got back from 9 month patrol in their submarine?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    The main reason military folk is advised not to wear uniform in public places because of risk of being targeted by terrorists...
    He was in uniform because he'd been injured while on duty. I don't think it's really practical for him to pause and get changed when he's got an eye injury.

It sounds like somebody had previously had a go at a person in uniform, so a member of hospital staff asked him if he'd prefer to wait inside the department instead of sitting out in the waiting room with the riffraff. It seems to me the idea was to avoid putting him in a position where morons might have a pop at him, not to avoid offending anybody else.

It certainly doesn't sound like he was being "hidden away" as A&E departments tend to be busy places with people coming and going constantly. But I don't suppose "staff try to ensure patient doesn't get hassled by morons" would make for such a good story.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    The main reason military folk is advised not to wear uniform in public places because of risk of being targeted by terrorists...
    That used to be the case when I was inside. It was strictly disallowed unless you were on your way to or from work and then you were supposed to cover up with a coat or jacket.

Then when people started dying in Afghanistan they changed the rules bouy up some nationalistic fervour.

I personally find it distasteful. But I don't really give a tulip.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    So you've never spent any time in Portsmouth, Aldershot, Plymouth, Catterick, Hereford, Poole, or much of the South West then?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by RetSet View Post
    It seems to have been based on somebody compaining on a previous occasion with a different RAF bod.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• RetSet
    replied
    It seems to have been based on somebody compaining on a previous occasion with a different RAF bod.

Of course, the correct thing to have done would have been to get the complainer in the original case arrested for breach of the peace, or similar.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X