• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Hajj

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hajj"

Collapse

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    So they implement quotas already, oh well it was a good idea while it lasted...

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Hard to imagine how such things can happen on this scale. Surely if people are being pushed they will push back, if those pushing are not getting anywhere they are going to stop? Doesn't make any sense to me.
    Except when there are several thousand pushing.

Apparently within the next decade the Saudis want 7 million people to attend. wow!

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Really?

They were your thoughts?
    What I really thought was 'meh'.

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    Be careful what you think
    Thought police has given me an infraction.
    Religious folks think that everything is the will of God, so why cry about it?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    They should have quotas on a per county basis to form an absolute maximum.
    That's how they do it already

– Muslim countries are usually allowed a quota of 0.1% of their population to perform Hajj.
    – Many Muslims in Western countries have also had their quotas cut by 20-30% and those that have performed Hajj in the last 5 years will also be restricted.
    – These restrictions will be in place for the next 3 years to allow for major construction works to be completed.
    Saudi authorities have cut back foreign pilgrim permits for both the Omra, or the Muslim ”small pilgrimage” and the Hajj or ”great pilgrimage” due to expansion work in Mecca, the holiest site of Islam.
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    Best treat them like confetti & Ignore completely - bonus points if you don't even read them

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post

It only takes a few minutes going through recent news events and behaviour at borders to see how some cultures regard rules, ordered queueing and quite frankly anyone else's life than their own.
    I agree. Happens every time I visit Liverpool or New Castle

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    They go mad over spiritual comfort while in the West we go mad over material comfort:

Man stabbed in riot at Ikea opening sale - The Scotsman

Video: Asda Black Friday madness as frantic shoppers fight over TVs - Telegraph

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    They should have quotas on a per county basis to form an absolute maximum. It's mandatory only once in a lifetime but affluence has meant that tens of thousands treat it like an annual holiday to Magaluf and go every yr. If you've been once (and I am sure they would keep records and know) then that's you done and any further visa requests should be refused.
    Now you're just being ridiculous, not that it would ever be a consideration when it comes to a religious event or pilgrimage (ok please ignore the entire history of pilgrimage locations throughout time when reading this) but pilgrims spend a LOT of money and apart from oil there's sod all to bring money into KSA.

It's a massive tourism event which brings in monumental quantities of cash. If you think for one second that they would seek to limit the numbers pitching up and spending freely then you really need to lay off the esoteric pharmaceuticals.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    They should have quotas on a per county basis to form an absolute maximum. It's mandatory only once in a lifetime but affluence has meant that tens of thousands treat it like an annual holiday to Magaluf and go every yr. If you've been once (and I am sure they would keep records and know) then that's you done and any further visa requests should be refused.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    unfortunately they probably weren't in the middle of the crush.

It is sad but you would have thought they could prevent further instances with a bit of organisation.
    To be fair to the Saudi's they have tried pretty damn hard to organise the whole thing, but it's a bit of a challenge to deal with several million people all trying to attend what they see as time critical events in very small areas. Doubly so when a significant proportion of those people have limited regard for human life due to their local mortality rates and many just have no idea what it means to queue.

It only takes a few minutes going through recent news events and behaviour at borders to see how some cultures regard rules, ordered queueing and quite frankly anyone else's life than their own.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

Where are the wailing lefties when you need them?
    unfortunately they probably weren't in the middle of the crush.

It is sad but you would have thought they could prevent further instances with a bit of organisation.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Really?

They were your thoughts?
    small & pretty pointless from the looks of it.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Never mind, the Outrage Bus will be along shortly for those that missed the Outrage Bandwagon which shot off at high speed at about 3/4 of the way down page 2 of the thread.

Mass deaths to crushing are a frequent feature of the Hajj, arguably an unavoidable feature.
    A combination of a relatively small area and an awful lot of people, many of who do not have the concept of an orderly queue in their culture. To top it off it's a bit warm there which tends to make people tetchy.

That's the politically correct version anyway.
    Indeed and they are all caught up in a religious furver??!

Also I am sure on the radio they said it happened during the ceremonial stone throwing... Or did I dream that?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Never mind, the Outrage Bus will be along shortly for those that missed the Outrage Bandwagon which shot off at high speed at about 3/4 of the way down page 2 of the thread.

Mass deaths to crushing are a frequent feature of the Hajj, arguably an unavoidable feature.
    A combination of a relatively small area and an awful lot of people, many of who do not have the concept of an orderly queue in their culture. To top it off it's a bit warm there which tends to make people tetchy.

That's the politically correct version anyway.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    Really?

They were your thoughts?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X