• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New TV?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New TV?"

Collapse

• Ardesco
    replied
    Bleh it's not even got a gigabit NIC in it.

I'm intending to build my own one of those at some point in the near future. I have cut holes in all the walls and networked the house up ready to go. I would say you really want a gigabit capable network though, that way you should be good for the forseeable future and then everybody can watch thier own thing in thier own room

My limited list at the moment is as follows:

Freevo (Open Source Linux software for a media server)
    Lian Li Case - (http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Chass...p/D_PC-880.htm)
    Remote Control (http://www.home-electro.com/ira3.php)
    TV-Card (http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/produ...pvr500mce.html)
    Sound Card with digital out to plug into AMP

I'm intending on having a file server with a couple of terabits storage space hidden away elsewhere that I can use to store stuff so not too worried about putting lots of HD into the box.

Overall as soon as i've paid off a few bills and put it together it should be quite swanky

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Does anyone have a upscaling DVD into a HD panel?

I am tempted by one of these: http://www.neodigits.com/new/body/pr...ne/diagram.asp

but as someone pointed out you can't do Hi Def over wireless

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    Never trust a business who's only aim is to make money

Mailman
    Eh? What other sort of business is there?

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...iesguide11.php

See detailed info on above link. I am not convinced by any of these flat screens yet, they seem to have shadowing and slow refresh. Keeping my 30" 4:3 Sony CRT until the technology/price matures a bit further.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by Bernard Common
    Isn't LG some cheapo Korean sh1t, with plastics similar quality to a plastic coffee cup?
    f8cking expensive coffee cup then

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Then again, some audiophiles will tell you that 720p is better for fast action sports while 1080i is great for movies and the like?
    The last time I checked, apparently Sky had decided that they are going to broadcast all their HD channels in 1080i, including sport. For movies, a 1080p signal can be automatically reconstructed from 1080i anyway, but for sports I wonder if this means they will have to be filmed in 1080p in order to create a 1080i signal that can be reconstructed to 1080p without interlace artifacts?

Leave a comment:

• Bernard Common
    replied
    I went in the other day and asked for one of the smaller tv's to be plugged in to the HD point only to be told they couldnt do it. I argued the point that if I was going to be forking over £700 then I want to see it in action!

Needless to say that I didnt buy from John Lewis that night!

Mind you, I did notice one of those new backlit LG tv's and the image was absolutely stunning!

Mailman

Isn't LG some cheapo Korean sh1t, with plastics similar quality to a plastic coffee cup?

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    I have noticed in John Lewis that only the LCD panels are plugged into the HD feeds
    I went in the other day and asked for one of the smaller tv's to be plugged in to the HD point only to be told they couldnt do it. I argued the point that if I was going to be forking over £700 then I want to see it in action!

Needless to say that I didnt buy from John Lewis that night!

Mind you, I did notice one of those new backlit LG tv's and the image was absolutely stunning!

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    However will you really be able to tell the difference between the two formats? Most likely not.

Then again, some audiophiles will tell you that 720p is better for fast action sports while 1080i is great for movies and the like?

Has anyone noticed though that if you go down to a shop selling LCD and Plasma tv's that the really expensive ones all have much better image quality than tv's that are cheaper and smaller in size. The cynic in me says they do this deliberately so you look at the smaller cheaper one and say to yourself "Ill buy the bigger more expensive one because it looks better"

There is an LG 27inch LCD panel that has an absolutely stunning image (and costs around £550) BUT if you look at various shops that very same tv will have a really grainy image while the more expensive model right next to it will be absolutely stunning!

Mailman
    I have noticed in John Lewis that only the LCD panels are plugged into the HD feeds

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    Wait for SED technology to hit the market, then make your choice

There are currently two common HD formats 720p and 1080i, and HD ready sets should be compatible with both.

More than likely in the future we will see more HDTVs with high ‘native resolutions’ such as 1920 x 1080.
    However will you really be able to tell the difference between the two formats? Most likely not.

Has anyone noticed though that if you go down to a shop selling LCD and Plasma tv's that the really expensive ones all have much better image quality than tv's that are cheaper and smaller in size. The cynic in me says they do this deliberately so you look at the smaller cheaper one and say to yourself "Ill buy the bigger more expensive one because it looks better"

There is an LG 27inch LCD panel that has an absolutely stunning image (and costs around £550) BUT if you look at various shops that very same tv will have a really grainy image while the more expensive model right next to it will be absolutely stunning!

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Does "Big Boobs Monthly" fit the library?
    Hum-Ahhhhh! Zeity said a rude word!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    All the programmes are crap, so what's the point?

An £80 one from Tescos is just the job.
    Agreed. Spend the money on expanding your library instead.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    All the programmes are crap, so what's the point?

An £80 one from Tescos is just the job.
    So true

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Wait for SED technology to hit the market, then make your choice

There are currently two common HD formats 720p and 1080i, and HD ready sets should be compatible with both.

More than likely in the future we will see more HDTVs with high ‘native resolutions’ such as 1920 x 1080.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Look in AVforums.com for recommendations.

I've decided that nothing less than maximum HD resolution with a minimum size of 50 inches will do. Don't think there're any like that on the market yet, or if there are they're not at a sensible price. I've pencilled in a new Sony 55 inch rear-projection set that's due out next year.

(Note that nearly all the sets currently being sold for HD in the UK only support the lower 720 line resolution.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X