• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ma'am you are an inspiration"

Collapse

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    Suity ???
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    It has to be a living animal that can only have a few off-spring.
    Ah no, Ted.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Suity ???

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Maybe the best solution is a real figurehead, my little puppet parrot would be great.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    They are just as expensive and corrupt plus they have political views.

Yeah anyone can in theory become a president but we know in reality most will come from a particular kind of background.
    Unfortunately you are right and we may get a Blair sort as DA said. A lot depends how they are elected and if we get a chance to remove them. We also need a total rewrite to give us some real democracy, real proportional representation and a Swiss type referendum system would be good. If enough sign up to remove a leader they have to stand for election.

Maybe the best solution is a real figurehead, my little puppet parrot would be great.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Totally agree.

The principle of monarchy, people having all that wealth and influence by reason of birth, utterly sucks. How can we condemn welfare scroungers while accepting that? Like many, I have put my republican instincts on hold while ER is around as she does the job well and an elected nominal head of state would probably be just as expensive.

When The Prince of Daftness takes over I, and many others I suspect, will once more become rabid republicans. Hopefully we will get a choice over whether this continues.

Perhaps we could celebrate the end of monarchy by reliving a bit of history and behead another Charles. Great fun.
    I'm hoping Phil the Greek (via Denmark, Germany and Russia) lives a few more years so his wife, ERII, lives to 100.

That way Charles will only be King a short while and drop dead before the Republican campaign gets in full swing.

I've had discussions with people about presidents in their countries.

They are just as expensive and corrupt plus they have political views.

Yeah anyone can in theory become a president but we know in reality most will come from a particular kind of background.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Totally agree.

The principle of monarchy, people having all that wealth and influence by reason of birth, utterly sucks. How can we condemn welfare scroungers while accepting that? Like many, I have put my republican instincts on hold while ER is around as she does the job well and an elected nominal head of state would probably be just as expensive.

When The Prince of Daftness takes over I, and many others I suspect, will once more become rabid republicans. Hopefully we will get a choice over whether this continues.

Perhaps we could celebrate the end of monarchy by reliving a bit of history and behead another Charles. Great fun.
    The problem of removing the monarchy is that we will be stuck with Blair as head of state forever! I am not big on monarchy, nor am i a tribal person that needs to feel a strong sense of belonging. I do understand that others like it it and that within the spectrum of National and International affairs the Queen is brilliant at what she does.

As far as Orwell is concerned he alludes to the matter of Nationalism very well. Those that oppose the monarchy in such vitriolic fashion are people with personal issues probably associated with the concept of self loathing. https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/o/orw...orn/part1.html

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Did that link come from the BNP site?

Any more right wing and you will become extreme left wing.
    Ay yes George Orwell the notorious fascist

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I like the Queen and Phil the Greek I like Princess Anne , Charles is a Tw*t as are his two brothers and probably most of the hangers on. I like Harry and the Jury is out on William.
    Totally agree.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Does it matter? Or is that the best you can do to counter the argument? Or are you going to insist on that opinions on people cannot be made unless you meet them? in which case does that rule apply to you?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    You know them all personally? What do they think of you?

And it's all down to The Queen. Huzzah!
    At least I am not afflicted by this The self-loathing of the British Left is now a problem for us all > New English Review

It’s often been observed that a certain type of British Lefty hates Britain – and that they reserve particularly hatred for Englishness. Back in 1941 George Orwell made this acute remark:

England is perhaps the only great country whose intellectuals are ashamed of their own nationality. In left-wing circles it is always felt that there is something slightly disgraceful in being an Englishman and that it is a duty to snigger at every English institution.

So what’s new? The difference today is that this shame and self-hatred now dominates Left-wing thought, whereas it was once balanced by the decent Left: who were proud to inherit the noble traditions of radical English patriotism.

Evidence for this disease is all around us, but shows up particularly in two red-button issues-of-the-day: the independence referendum, and the appalling revelations from Rotherham.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I like the Queen and Phil the Greek I like Princess Anne , Charles is a Tw*t as are his two brothers and probably most of the hangers on. I like Harry and the Jury is out on William.
    You know them all personally? What do they think of you?

The Queen is a fantastic ambassador for this country. Britain is the most civilised country in the world and just about the most popular to visit and for people to want to come and work here.
    And it's all down to The Queen. Huzzah!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    After all It is so cool to sneer at British culture and institutions
    CUK does it on the Church of England.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by GlenW View Post
    I'm a 'self loathing' coward because I profess to not be a fawning sycophant?
    I like the Queen and Phil the Greek I like Princess Anne , Charles is a Tw*t as are his two brothers and probably most of the hangers on. I like Harry and the Jury is out on William. The Queen is a fantastic ambassador for this country. Britain is the most civilised country in the world and just about the most popular to visit and for people to want to come and work here.

This may well change when the next monarch takes over but until then I am a big fan of this queen.

If that is being sycophant then I am happy to wear the badge with pride.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    We've never had a referendum on the monarchy, unless you're counting The Civil War.
    Can we have a CUK vote? NAT, can you do the needful?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X