• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ever Been a hipster on a Track Stand?"

Collapse

• Martin Scroatman
    replied
    Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
    How's google car's sheep detection and avoidance? Do they work on unlit windy cobbled streets? Can they back it up when trying to squeeze down a road that's only 1 car wide?
    I don't know. That's for Google to sort out.

Leave a comment:

• NibblyPig
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
    Self drive cars will be great for the rural pub trade.

I'll be able to get completely trousered in The Hen and Chickens without worrying about how I'm going to get home.
    How's google car's sheep detection and avoidance? Do they work on unlit windy cobbled streets? Can they back it up when trying to squeeze down a road that's only 1 car wide?

Leave a comment:

• Martin Scroatman
    replied
    Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
    You basically go back and forth, cos you can peddle backwards.

I can't seem to convince myself that self-driving cars are gonna work. I suppose if they crash less than humans though that's ok... I suspect people will expect and demand them to be perfect though.
    Self drive cars will be great for the rural pub trade.

I'll be able to get completely trousered in The Hen and Chickens without worrying about how I'm going to get home.

Mind you, it'll probably take the landlord and a couple of burly farm hands to help me from bar stool to car and give the command to take me home otherwise lord knows where I'd end up after issuing any instrucions in my slurred speech.

Leave a comment:

• NibblyPig
    replied
    You basically go back and forth, cos you can peddle backwards.

I can't seem to convince myself that self-driving cars are gonna work. I suppose if they crash less than humans though that's ok... I suspect people will expect and demand them to be perfect though.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    But if the front wheel turns you move, shirley?
    no the back wheel (its a fixie) & your balance stops you.

Leave a comment:

• Martin Scroatman
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Cyclists whose shoes bond to their pedals with cleats often prefer not to detach when stationary so use a technique called a “track stand” whereby they stand on the pedals, turn the front wheel and balance without moving
    But if the front wheel turns you move, shirley?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    What, in the name of the good lord, is a "Track Stand?"
    in story

Cyclists whose shoes bond to their pedals with cleats often prefer not to detach when stationary so use a technique called a “track stand” whereby they stand on the pedals, turn the front wheel and balance without moving.

Leave a comment:

• Martin Scroatman
    replied
    What, in the name of the good lord, is a "Track Stand?"

Leave a comment:

• NibblyPig
    started a topic Ever Been a hipster on a Track Stand?

Ever Been a hipster on a Track Stand?

Google robo-car suffers brain freeze after seeing hipster cyclist

A cyclist riding a fixed-gear bike claims to have brought a Google robo-car to a standstill.

Oxtox says the Googlemobile “apparently detected my presence … and stayed stationary for several seconds.” He then started his track stand, thinking the car would go through the intersection. “It finally began to proceed, but as it did, I rolled forward an inch while still standing. The car immediately stopped.”

Probably conflicted on whether it should mow the hipster down and chalk it up to a technical fault.

Working...
X