• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "In praise of the Boomer Generation"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    if only people could move out of London

Leave London!

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Just seen on FB a 3 bed house with two double bedrooms and one single, with sea views, and overlooking a gold course....

To rent for £595 per calender month

Even on local wages that's very affordable, if only people could move out of London

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
    I am trying to decide whether this thread is an interesting social commentary or just a load of old bollocks.

I am tending towards the latter.

I guess I am a "boomer", I bought my first flat in Hove in 1983 for just £23,000 which is a good month's billing now (ok, a very good month but you know what I mean)

It's an outrage, flat snow start at £150,000, who can afford that, yada, yada, but my salary (<spits>) was about £4,000 per YEAR, and now a graduate salary is around £25k so the flat has gone from almost six times an annual salary to... about six times an annual salary.

Bacchus minimus is at Uni, he will start on nearly double that, his student debt will be visible not hidden in taxes, and quite a millstone, but he's not downbeat, he loves what he does and realises the challenges ahead.

The problem is the ****wit hipster lazy tw@ generation who think the world owes them a living as a "celebrity".
    I think I love you!

fookin hipsters

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    If a few more of the gimme-it-all-now generation considered looking after their parents/grandparents themselves instead of foisting them off onto others then there would not be so much real "cost".
    The problem is, the notion of looking after those who have spent their entire adult lives providing for this generation is not something that occurs to them. Not when there are new phones/plasma TVs/Holidays to be blowing their wad on.
    Ungrateful twunts most of them, I look forward to many happy days soiling myself and shouting for my facebook generation minimum wage whingebuddy to come and clean me up!!
    Got that one sorted out over here. When my son was born I had to go to some office and swear on oath that I was the father and that I was to pay monthly to Frau D. for his upkeep and that they would check regularly if there were any changes to be made. Now the checks were never made but as we're still together and he still lives at home then there are no problems. However, there were a couple of caveats to all this palaver, firstly I'm responsible for him until the age of 25 and then he gets thrown out into the big bad world, which I think is next year, but when I'm 65 then he's responsible for me! I'm already putting the list together of the 'toys' that I'll be wanting then (I suspect we'll be onto PS10 by then and 256 bit OS'es for the public) God, I love winding him up about it

Leave a comment:

• Bacchus
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Debt isn't so much of an issue when you have double digit inflation. We have very little inflation these days (well when HPI is excluded) so the debt stays big.
    Agreed, we need a little inflation; particularly wage inflation! Unfortunately we are having to pay for the "free money" of the Blair/Brown years, we have a govt. that is making itself deeply unpopular to achieve this, and there will be another few years of pain. They will be kicked in to touch at the next election, we will get another "spend our way out of debt" govt. but by then we should be in a position to afford it, and so the world keeps turning...

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
    Governments have stored up a few time bombs, but in the scale of things, probably not as much as paying for two world wars. The world has turned, people will live on.
    Debt isn't so much of an issue when you have double digit inflation. We have very little inflation these days (well when HPI is excluded) so the debt stays big.

Leave a comment:

• Bacchus
    replied
    Bacchus,

It's best to look at wages to prices to get a general perspective on ratios. I think £20k is a more realistic Grad starting wage BTW.

Also consider the type of property today being built is very small, and high density (Max profit). So the cost is high, and the housing is smaller.

As for your kid; he hasn't reached the jaded stage where he realises that there is f all chance of ever owning a decent home unless prices fall, or Mr Bacchus floats a couple of months billing towards him. I wish him well.

As for this thread being tulip - of course it is!
    So my multiplier of about six was the absolute peak! They've never had it so good (c:

£20k / £25k meh, you say potato I say pressed quorn. Some areas £20k is a fortune, others £25k is nothing.

Yes, Bacchus minimus will get a helping hand I'm sure (his mum is minted...) but this is not unusual in families, even in poor countries like Romania where gf Bacchus comes from

Governments have stored up a few time bombs, but in the scale of things, probably not as much as paying for two world wars. The world has turned, people will live on.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    In praise of the Boomer Generation

Bacchus,

It's best to look at wages to prices to get a general perspective on ratios. I think £20k is a more realistic Grad starting wage BTW.

Also consider the type of property today being built is very small, and high density (Max profit). So the cost is high, and the housing is smaller.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...udy-finds.html

As for your kid; he hasn't reached the jaded stage where he realises that there is f all chance of ever owning a decent home unless prices fall, or Mr Bacchus floats a couple of months billing towards him. I wish him well.

As for this thread being tulip - of course it is!
    Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 4 August 2015, 21:10.

Leave a comment:

• Bacchus
    replied
    I am trying to decide whether this thread is an interesting social commentary or just a load of old bollocks.

I am tending towards the latter.

I guess I am a "boomer", I bought my first flat in Hove in 1983 for just £23,000 which is a good month's billing now (ok, a very good month but you know what I mean)

It's an outrage, flat snow start at £150,000, who can afford that, yada, yada, but my salary (<spits>) was about £4,000 per YEAR, and now a graduate salary is around £25k so the flat has gone from almost six times an annual salary to... about six times an annual salary.

Bacchus minimus is at Uni, he will start on nearly double that, his student debt will be visible not hidden in taxes, and quite a millstone, but he's not downbeat, he loves what he does and realises the challenges ahead.

The problem is the ****wit hipster lazy tw@ generation who think the world owes them a living as a "celebrity".

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    If a few more of the gimme-it-all-now generation considered looking after their parents/grandparents themselves instead of foisting them off onto others then there would not be so much real "cost".
    The problem is, the notion of looking after those who have spent their entire adult lives providing for this generation is not something that occurs to them. Not when there are new phones/plasma TVs/Holidays to be blowing their wad on.
    Ungrateful twunts most of them, I look forward to many happy days soiling myself and shouting for my facebook generation minimum wage whingebuddy to come and clean me up!!
    If the Facebook generation can't afford to move out, they are on hand to provide care no?

I consider the baby bust generation to live far more modestly, and with a smaller footprint. Go gently my peers [emoji120]🏽

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Maybe excessive welfare and spending on non nationals who have contributed nothing to the UK are factors. It is human nature that, when people see their taxes supporting those who do not make a reasonable effort or with whom they have no connection, they feel that they in turn should have no obligations. Who can blame them?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    So what is the logical thing to do to fund care costs? Get generation bust to pay for it? Or just pop it on the tick like mummy and daddy?

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    I thought it would be about this chap

Guess that makes me the boomer generation

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Suits me, I'm Degeneration X.

FTFY

Leave a comment: