• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Running boots recommendation"

Collapse

• Goya
    replied
    Another vote for Saucony.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Running SHOES! They are not boots.

And those above are right - a proper shop, not one of those JJB or Sports and Soccer places. The staff in there don't know a running shoe from a brake shoe.

And certainly not Millets! They might be knowledgeable but they sell boots.

PS, if you have the chance, run off road as much as you can, on grass or dirt. It is far easier on the joints.
    JJB do proper shoes, in some shops, you just have to know what you want first i.e. get the advice elsewhere

http://www.jjbsports.com/sprun2/mensr2/

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    In Spetsnaz we always called them boots...

The resemblance to Threaded (fat, telling porkies, eating them) is growing by the day. I claim my 5 roubles.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    In Spetsnaz we always called them boots...

What is the proper shop then? The one located in Birmingham or very close to it.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan
    Mordy mate. I have tulips bigger than you!
    Some of which who will work cheaper, later and have more MCSEs than you!
    You really are going to have to work a bit on those "personal skills"...

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Nice one thanks to everyone! Going to get proper boots next week - running bare foot sure slows things down...

And those above are right - a proper shop, not one of those JJB or Sports and Soccer places. The staff in there don't know a running shoe from a brake shoe.

And certainly not Millets! They might be knowledgeable but they sell boots.

PS, if you have the chance, run off road as much as you can, on grass or dirt. It is far easier on the joints.

Leave a comment:

• Addanc
    replied
    I recommend DMs with steel toe caps.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Do a Threaded, and stick a BMW 8 series on each foot.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Nice one thanks to everyone! Going to get proper boots next week - running bare foot sure slows things down...

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Take the advice from a proper shop and then go to JJB sports, they have a smallish range of proper running shoes, but the staff know feck all about them. Most people getting into fitness go into a sports chain and buy a cosmetic shoe believing it to be a running shoe.

There's a simple test to find out if you pronate, you can then do a search on the type of shoe you need.
    http://www.runnersworld.ltd.uk/pronation.htm

I've got some Saucony running shoes, and have found them to be brilliant.

BTW Nike running shoes are crap, as are addidas

PS another Tip: get a size bigger than your shoe size, the foot needs space to move in a running shoe. There is a way to lace them to grip your foot so it doesn't slip.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 29 September 2006, 09:11.

Leave a comment:

• kramer
    replied
    If you are going to seriously run then I think you should visit a running shop who will put you on the treadmill and watch your running pattern... they wll then suggest the shoe that will best suit you.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I'd go with swamp's advice.

The first shop I got my shoes from was The Marathon Shop down Long Acre (Covent Garden). They had me walking up and down the shop with me trouser legs rolled up.

The last place I bought them was the Sweat Shop in a Holmes Fitness centre in Nottingham.

The only other place I've found the same shoe was in Decathalon, strangly. But you're right AtW, it's worth the extra tenner for the advice.

As for the run AtW - your 'tashe will give you sufficient drag for me to keep up...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan
    I hit 17stone recently. Started running and went in cheap trainers. I did about 3 miles with stops on the road and then couldnt walk for 3 days.

The nikes I bought are great. Loads of give in them.
    You fat fecker!

I'm down to 18 and a half!

How tall are you?

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    I have a pair of Berghaus "trekking" shoes (Vantage XCR). I can run about 5 miles (cross country) in them without hurting which is pretty good. I don't trust other brands after nearly breaking my ankle in some Nike jobbies when the sole sheared off (!!!). I am a fat bastard though, albeit one that can run like the wind.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    10 quid extra is no object, thanks for good advice swamp.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X