• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Official Summer 2015 Budget Thread"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I break that rule. Pure quality every single one.
    So does your wife.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    There are NO problems for big companies to sack employees in UK.
    I have also been through redundancy/tribunal with a large company. It was settled on terms favourable to me. I have also seen it from the other side with the small family business. Even for large companies, senior managers must invest significant time and effort into a single redundancy. The consultation I agree is a charade but an expensive charade for the company. And the consequences of losing at tribunal are frightening - both for the company, who would suffer public loss of reputation, and for the managers personally - who must appear and be questioned, and risk being virtually shown for liars in open court if they lose. (not a court but similar, less formal, public).

If you are shutting down a whole plant, of course the redundancies will not be contested. But try to use "redundancy" as a cover for getting rid of a lazy/argumentative/poorly performing/overpaid employee, and your sins will find you out. Not fair, just UK law. Hence my original argument of this all being not a bad thing for contractors.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    But yours are significantly diluted when the number of your sockie posts is taken into account, so no, you don't.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    The higher the post count, the lower the quality of posts usually, just look at BrilloPad's character...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    But I am a Super Poster, whilst your post count is merely Majestic which infers absolutely nothing about quality.
    The higher the post count, the lower the quality of posts usually, just look at BrilloPad's character...

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Troll.

But I am a Super Poster, whilst your post count is merely Majestic which infers absolutely nothing about quality.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I cannot go to bed because you are still wrong. How do you know I am a Sir? I have never told anyone here of my visit to the Palace.

Oh, now I've looked at the picture, I see what you mean. I never noticed that when I searched the internet very specifically for it. Silly me.
    Troll.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Sir, I refer you to the words you've used above -

"trolls often put words into the mouths of others then represent them as that persons beliefs or claims."

Look at the picture and words on it...

And stop trolling!!!
    I cannot go to bed because you are still wrong. How do you know I am a Sir? I have never told anyone here of my visit to the Palace.

Oh, now I've looked at the picture, I see what you mean. I never noticed that when I searched the internet very specifically for it. Silly me.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    Funny how you keep hearing about employment tribunals, and they aren't always public sector, either.
    Tesco laid off 10k this year, do you think they had big problem implementing it? It's not as easy (read as cheap) as in USA, but a lot cheaper than in France or Germany. It's no problem really for big companies.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    It is a joke along the lines of Malvolio being Malvolio, I guess it is too subtle?
    Sir, I refer you to the words you've used above -

"trolls often put words into the mouths of others then represent them as that persons beliefs or claims."

Look at the picture and words on it...

And stop trolling!!!

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    The only problem in sacking in UK is in public sector which is heavily unionized. For that reason the Govt TUPEing said employees to private companies who will then have no problems sacking them.
    Funny how you keep hearing about employment tribunals, and they aren't always public sector, either.

But it isn't contractors who are going to employment tribunals except in really rare cases.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Oh really?

Are you American?

It is a joke along the lines of Malvolio being Malvolio, I guess it is too subtle?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    For further evidence, trolls often put words into the mouths of others then represent them as that persons beliefs or claims.

Oh really?

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    For once we're in agreement, I think.

Um, no. Quite the opposite. I'm not the one saying I'm betrayed because I have to pay more tax, or that the situation is 'bad and wrong' because it hurts me in the pocket. I have absolutely no desire to pay any more tax but there seems no objective way to say the changes as understood, are anything of the sort.

If you're holding up politicians as role models, I feel you're on weak ground before we even start.
    Your argument that it is fair for contractors to pay the same as permies is fundamentally flawed and shows your lack of understanding. If it is not lack of understanding, it is trolling.

For further evidence, trolls often put words into the mouths of others then represent them as that persons beliefs or claims. I said no such thing. Whatever scumbags politicians are, the majority of them are intelligent. They do not have to be role models to fit your claim. They just have to be intelligent and in debate. Which they are both and are invariably rude and angry. Especially when people are deliberately stupid/obtuse/too stubborn to realise their view is just that; a view.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I've seen staff come up with 'allegations' when in the gardening leave/consultation period that made the company keep them on.

One was sexual harassment another was sexual discrimination.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X