• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: That third runway

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "That third runway"

Collapse

• unixman
    replied
    Heathrow. Let's put the new runway somewhere crowded and with terrible transport links.

Anywhere really, so long as all the money gets spent in the south east.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    If it was London I would build an island.

Love Boris
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    If it was simcity I would build an island.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I used to live under the flight path of an airport. I chose to do so and never complained even when the runway was extended.
    I always wondered why they don't site deaf people near airports. Then you might house all the poor sighted in Hull , the ones with no sense of smell near Birmingham. The culturally gifted genteel folk would all move to Liverpool of course.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    You're making that one up.
    I am, it went bust in 2014.

There is London South End Airport though...

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    7 if you include London Manston Airport.
    You're making that one up.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Its all part of the plan....

Airstrip One - Formally called England. This term demonstrates Orwell's distain for American influence Europe. It seems that Oceania (America, England, South America, Australia) looks upon Britain as little more than an ‘airstrip’ ... a launching ground into the European theater of war. It appears that Orwell was predicting the minor role that England would play in the global politics of the future.
    Owned by Spaniards I believe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrovial

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    5 if you include London Oxford Airport.

Surely the people of West London get no sleep anyway, or at least have learned to sleep through the noise/have gone deaf. So why does it matter if there's a third runway?

6 if you include London City

7 if you include London Manston Airport.

The island makes no sense, arrival and departure flows are too close to the UK airspace.

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    "Build it, and they will come"

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    You are thinking of Northholt. But if you did not know that, AYCOTBAC?

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    5 if you include London Oxford Airport.

Surely the people of West London get no sleep anyway, or at least have learned to sleep through the noise/have gone deaf. So why does it matter if there's a third runway?

Luton
    Stansted
    Southend
    Gatwick
    City
    Oxford (hardly any scheduled flights at all, they try adding new flights all the time but all the operators go bust after a couple of flights)

Personally I would say the Boris Island is the best idea else expand Gatwick or even Stansted
    Expanding Heathrow is just utter madness

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I used to live under the flight path of an airport. I chose to do so and never complained even when the runway was extended. Those near Heathrow chose to live near the airport so they should shut up or move. In fact I am looking to move near Heathrow.

Apart from Heathrow, the other options for expansion are no good for people living SW of London, they may as well fly from a local airport to a European hub rather than going to other so-called London airports.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

HTH
    Northolt is for Squaddies and Terrorists suffering rendition.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    I think the third runway should be exclusively for us rich contractors who use private flights.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    It's true, you do get used to the planes. However it will also bring hundreds of thousands of new people closer to a flight path.

Perhaps the worst thing of all though is all those planes flying directly over the city. Who in their right mind, with terrorists looking to blow the infidels to pieces, would put more planes over a population centre?

I'm amazed it hasn't happened already. One man, with a SAM on his shoulder, as a fully loaded 747 takes off to the East, could wipe out thousands.
    they tried it a couple of years ago

agree its madness.

they should build a properly designed HUB airport somewhere sensible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X