• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hedgetrimmer Recommendations"

Collapse

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Make sure you got the power4all one. the batteries are interchangeable over a range of tools and they are 18 volts, they last longer. I think some of the slightly cheaper ones are 12 volts and are not as powerful.
    I did go for one of the less powerful ones - Bosch AHS 41 Accu -battery is 14.4 volts but it's done the job more than adequately on 1 charge & only cost me £60.

Leave a comment:

• Mincepie
    replied
    I just got this £23 delivered does the trick and better than you would think for the money

Buy Sovereign HTEG34C Electric Hedge Trimmer - 400W at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Hedge trimmers and accessories.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I wouldn't trust any reviews online.
    Good job CUK is here on the internet

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    My flymo trimmer has just packed up & its time to get a new one.

Just wondering if anyone has tried a cordless electric trimmer. I'm always a bit worried anything cordless isn't going to be man enough for the job but I really don't like cables and buying a petrol engined trimmer is overkill for what I want.

Basically I've got about 50 feet of frontage, a beech hedge, that needs trimming maybe 3 times per year & I need the charge to last 1 hour & I need to be able to cut up to about 10 mm or so.

The Bosch looks OK - in homebase for £74; 20% off. Unfortunately the goofy young floorwalker wasn't very knowledgeable. So I'm asking here instead
    Stihl hedge trimmers have the name, although they are a bit pricey.

The Stihl HL 100 Long Reach trimmer is just over £800.

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Why are you asking for advice here when you can read reviews online...
    For the same reason people ask questions about a whole range of things on here e.g. cars, bikes, stereos etc.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Why are you asking for advice here when you can read reviews online... and then why are you buying in B&Q when it will be cheaper online/Screwfix?
    I wouldn't trust any reviews online.

Also homebase do 20% of bosch power tools like every second weekend.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    You've convinced me. Off to Homebase/B&Q later.
    Make sure you got the power4all one. the batteries are interchangeable over a range of tools and they are 18 volts, they last longer. I think some of the slightly cheaper ones are 12 volts and are not as powerful.
    Last edited by minestrone; 18 June 2015, 10:25.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Why are you asking for advice here when you can read reviews online... and then why are you buying in B&Q when it will be cheaper online/Screwfix?

Leave a comment:

• Bacchus
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    FOAD and not in that order.

You are Boris Johnson and I claim my five pounds...

"F**k off and die": Watch Boris' X-rated rant to cabbie - Sun Nation

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Best thing about the bosh is that it is extremely light and it does not shake your wrists to fatigue which the cabled ones will. You can cut a lot of hedge in one go, I had a black and decker one once, 20 minutes going at it and your arms were busted.
    You've convinced me. Off to Homebase/B&Q later.

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Got some kind of problem, pal?

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Best thing about the bosh is that it is extremely light and it does not shake your wrists to fatigue which the cabled ones will. You can cut a lot of hedge in one go, I had a black and decker one once, 20 minutes going at it and your arms were busted.
    Were you using it properly?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Oh don't encourage it.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    My flymo trimmer has just packed up & its time to get a new one.

Just wondering if anyone has tried a cordless electric trimmer. I'm always a bit worried anything cordless isn't going to be man enough for the job but I really don't like cables and buying a petrol engined trimmer is overkill for what I want.

Basically I've got about 50 feet of frontage, a beech hedge, that needs trimming maybe 3 times per year & I need the charge to last 1 hour & I need to be able to cut up to about 10 mm or so.

The Bosch looks OK - in homebase for £74; 20% off. Unfortunately the goofy young floorwalker wasn't very knowledgeable. So I'm asking here instead

Leave a comment:

Working...
X