• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: This migrant thing

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "This migrant thing"

Collapse

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    True.

The septics can't make the feckers work.

Remind me, why did Call Me Dave & the clown next door get rid of the Harriers?

Isn't it funny, the current bunch of feckwhits are only slightly lesser feckwhits than the bunch of extreme feckwhits who lost the election.

Doomed, I tell ye, dooooooomed.
    Don't blame me.

I voted UKIP.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by zeitghost
    True.

The septics can't make the feckers work.

Remind me, why did Call Me Dave & the clown next door get rid of the Harriers?

Isn't it funny, the current bunch of feckwhits are only slightly lesser feckwhits than the bunch of extreme feckwhits who lost the election.

Doomed, I tell ye, dooooooomed.
    Since the 1970's, you could not get a cigarette paper between any politician of the mainstream parties. They are all variations on the same self interested theme.

As for the MOD, you could get rid of a layer as thick as the Jurassic coast in Dorset and STILL achieve the same result. Same for the NHS, Central Government, the Civil Service and local government. There you have all the savings you need to deliver a budget surplus and end austerity for all time.

What happened to the Big Society?

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    We can take the money out of the money we saved on not getting our own carrier! Simples!

I really should be in charge of the MOD...
    Given we won't have any ac jets ready for years, it shouldn't be a problem anyway.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Except that you need to take off and land into the wind so someone is going to have a big repair bill.
    We can take the money out of the money we saved on not getting our own carrier! Simples!

I really should be in charge of the MOD...

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I thought we had an aircraft carrier that we share with the French? We take off and land on the left, they do the same on the right. Simples!
    Except that you need to take off and land into the wind so someone is going to have a big repair bill.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    When will the aircraft carrier be ready? i understand that it is already obsolete so it could be commissioned as a migrant carrier to help the 500,000 migrants waiting in Libyan ports
    I thought we had an aircraft carrier that we share with the French? We take off and land on the left, they do the same on the right. Simples!

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
    My missus is teaching a few Libyan kids (among other nationalities) GCSE science at the mo. They barely know enough English to be able to ask to go to the loo, but this morning she's doing her utmost to teach them the concepts of enzymes. Surely intensive English Language lessons should be the first educational step for the people who wind up here?
    Don't worry, they will soon be speaking English just as badly as the rest of us.

Leave a comment:

• I just need to test it
    replied
    My missus is teaching a few Libyan kids (among other nationalities) GCSE science at the mo. They barely know enough English to be able to ask to go to the loo, but this morning she's doing her utmost to teach them the concepts of enzymes. Surely intensive English Language lessons should be the first educational step for the people who wind up here?
    Last edited by I just need to test it; 10 June 2015, 08:05.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    One world, One people, No Borders.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    No compassion? Migrants are people and making very dangerous journeys not only for a better economic life but to save their lives.

What do you suggest is done then?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Flashman View Post
    Don't give 'em ideas!

Once they get an EU passport they have the legal right to reside anywhere in the EU.

London twinned with Mogadishu
    As they only get resident papers to move to another EU state, and the UK and Ireland aren't in the Schengan agreement I wouldn't worry.

Though the sensible thing would be to be like Germany and ensure you only took those who are young adults with higher education in areas that are useful to the economy.

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Originally posted by Flashman View Post
    Don't give 'em ideas!

Once they get an EU passport they have the legal right to reside anywhere in the EU.

London twinned with Mogadishu
    Mogadishu is a great place these days, according to Alex from Brighton:

Me and my wife came to stay here last year, What a fantastic hotel the staff were very kind and the hotel was very clean. Mogadishu is a great city all year round due to its proximity to the equator insuring its always warm. As for night life this is where Mogadishu comes in to its element now often described as the Ibiza of Africa!!! Admittedly Alcohol, playing amplified music and men and women congregating together in public is illegal this really does not dampen the party vibe!!
    I'm coming back in November with my 3 year old daughter to show the true East African gem of Somalia
    TripAdvisor - hotels in Mogadishu

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    As long as Europe continues to provide the ferry service, then they will continue to jump into anything that floats knowing that the probabilities are in their favour for getting picked up and taken straight to Italy. As this hand-wringing "rescue effort" is ramped up, the better the chances of being picked up and so the more will come. We should be picking them up and taking them straight back to a North African beach. Once it is known that this is what will happen, then this flood will start to abate.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    And that figure (by the LSE) was for 2007. Probably gone up a bit since then. Doesn't include any granted asylum or leave to remain either.
    But they will be gone in approximately 42 years if they get deported. Using the LSE figure divided by the Telegraph report gives me that 'rough' number

(The Telegraph article though doesn't state if those illegals that were arrested were then deported, shoddy reporting...)

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    And that figure (by the LSE) was for 2007. Probably gone up a bit since then. Doesn't include any granted asylum or leave to remain either.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X