• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Vauxhall and Sale of Goods Act"

Collapse

• Scruff
    replied
    Sale of Goods Act restarts the warranty after the item has been replaced, but only for the replaced item. Use the remedies provided by the Act again?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    You are aware there are consumer forums? They would be more useful than this one in helping you argue your case e.g. moneysavingexpert

Also claiming an amount of mileage on a car doesn't really work. Some people can drive 7.5K in 2 weeks while others can do that in 2 years.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Had a similar issue with my Ferrari 456, suddenly stopped working after about 200 miles, wouldn't start.

Garage came out with some bulltulip about petrol and having to put some in but you shouldn't have to do that in a Ferrari.

So I bought another and that did the same and so did the next so I just keep buying another now after each 200 miles.

On my rate it's a drop in MF's semen stain...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    Votes Labour, supports Spurs & drives a Vauxhall.

Hmmm...
    However most facts in the first post....

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by MercladUK View Post
    Long story short.

We purchased a Zafira
    It is quite a short story. I didn't read beyond that.

Leave a comment:

• MercladUK
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I did once successfully get a trader to pay for repairs, but that was after I'd only had it for a couple of weeks. In that case it was under warranty, but the warranty company cleverly decided that the repair increased the value of the car and so therefore they didn't have to pay. I just ignored them and threatened the dealer with the Sale of Goods Act and the Small Claims Court, and after a letter and a few heated phone calls he gave in. IME third party warranties are only there so the dealers can avoid their responsibilities.

The problem you've got is there's quite some considerable time (15 months) until the failure, and the mileage doesn't tell you everything. If anything lots of short trips are worse for the car.

It also probably wasn't a "new engine". It might have been a new engine block with the head and other gubbins reused from your original engine and assembled by the dealer's spanner monkeys. You'd have probably been better off in both ways by getting a second hand engine from a crashed car; then at least you know you're getting one from the factory.

Good luck with it.
    I think it will be Small claims court

Unless Vauxhall actually think their engines should last between 7.5 & 45k

Leave a comment:

• MercladUK
    replied
    Votes Labour, supports Spurs, detests Goons & his wife drives a Vauxhall.

Hmmm...
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Hit social media, their Twitter feed and Facebook, got a lightning and satisfactory response with a laptop from PC World that failed one week out of warranty....

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Hmmm...
    Sir Alan Sugar?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I did once successfully get a trader to pay for repairs, but that was after I'd only had it for a couple of weeks. In that case it was under warranty, but the warranty company cleverly decided that the repair increased the value of the car and so therefore they didn't have to pay. I just ignored them and threatened the dealer with the Sale of Goods Act and the Small Claims Court, and after a letter and a few heated phone calls he gave in. IME third party warranties are only there so the dealers can avoid their responsibilities.

The problem you've got is there's quite some considerable time (15 months) until the failure, and the mileage doesn't tell you everything. If anything lots of short trips are worse for the car.

It also probably wasn't a "new engine". It might have been a new engine block with the head and other gubbins reused from your original engine and assembled by the dealer's spanner monkeys. You'd have probably been better off in both ways by getting a second hand engine from a crashed car; then at least you know you're getting one from the factory.

Good luck with it.

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied

Hmmm...

Leave a comment:

• MercladUK
    replied
    Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    I had a similar problem with my Land Rover a few years ago. Bought it new and it was just over 3 years old and < 60k miles when the engine blew. The garage point blank refused to help and said I would need to pay for the new engine myself as it was out of warranty.

I contacted Land Rover UK and they agreed it shouldn't have happened at < 60k miles and asked me to fill in an out of warranty claim form and they would pick up the tab. Just before I had heard back from them, a friend of my sister who had worked at a Land Rover garage got in touch. He told me about this little known out of warranty claim form and to mention it to the garage.

Long story short, they paid for the new engine which lasted another 60k miles before packing in. I just scrapped it for spares. The K series engine had a known fault but Land Rover wouldn't admit it officially so they just paid for a new engine when you complained to them.

I would ask you garage for an out of warranty claim form or contact the head office of Vauxhall and kick up a stink.
    Thanks, been in dialogue with Vauxhall head office for about 3 weeks now, stalemate. Will check the out of warranty claim form thing, thanks.

Think it will be a small claims process though.

cheers for the help

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    The K series engine had a known fault
    That's putting it mildly.

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    I knew he was a sockie. It took me this long to realise it's from the same stable as so many previous incarnations.
    Even sockies need help with their problems.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Should have bought a GT86. 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty.

You could have probably got a replacement s/h engine for much less outlay.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X