• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to make property more affordable for the young?"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Print more money, cover in clay, bake and build houses.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Why is economics so tuff? That works for Trading Blocs, whole countries/regions, banks and governments.
    Pure and simply, the majority are shjte at maths.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    Depends on the multiples you allow, and as we've been saying, just allowing people to borrow more doesn't solve the problem.

So, taking the 3.5x suggestion (as it used to be back in 2000), you'd need to earn about £17000, or under £1500 per month.
    Do Lidl pay £17K? That's about £9.50 an hour full time.
    On that rate, presuming that you're paying rent, can you save for a deposit?
    Why is economics so tuff? That works for Trading Blocs, whole countries/regions, banks and governments.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    2015-06-11 For Millennials, The Homeownership Dream Is Dying

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    It's more affordable than most areas where a small flat is more likely to be £200k in a deprived area

It's why I moved, broke after a divorce, do I want to live somewhere scummy near a big city, or get a big house with views to die for and a tiny mortgage with the downside of having to commute for work
    I've accepted a longer commute to have a nicer area to live in. It's also cheaper than London (of course), but it is more expensive than if I was willing to live in either of the nearest large towns. In the process of buying at the moment, if our bloody chain is ever put together, and although in my mind the properties are all overpriced I guess all I can say is "it is what it is" and be happy that I can buy. A lot of the small flats and houses in the area are bought by divorcees, the retired, BTL etc, as young people just can't afford them.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    I guess wage growth really has been outstripped by inflation then.

Most of their jobs are part-time. They do have some full-time jobs for "Customer Assistants" (presumably till work). £7.30 - £9.50 per hour.

So those people may be able to buy a small flat eventually. So long, of course, as they don't spend money on any of those wasteful things such as food, rent, telephone, electricity, taxes, water, entertainment, etc.
    It's more affordable than most areas where a small flat is more likely to be £200k in a deprived area

It's why I moved, broke after a divorce, do I want to live somewhere scummy near a big city, or get a big house with views to die for and a tiny mortgage with the downside of having to commute for work

Leave a comment:

• Bacchus
    replied
    Originally posted by alphadog View Post
    Slice 20% off all "green belts" (whatever they are) across the country on the side closest to existing cities and allow land owners to build houses on their land.

Job done.
    I like this plan - I could then sell off some of the Bacchus acres and retire wealthy instead of just comfortable (c:

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Can't be far off they were paying £8 an hours in the 90s on the checkouts up here
    I guess wage growth really has been outstripped by inflation then.

Most of their jobs are part-time. They do have some full-time jobs for "Customer Assistants" (presumably till work). £7.30 - £9.50 per hour.

So those people may be able to buy a small flat eventually. So long, of course, as they don't spend money on any of those wasteful things such as food, rent, telephone, electricity, taxes, water, entertainment, etc.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Depends on the multiples you allow, and as we've been saying, just allowing people to borrow more doesn't solve the problem.

So, taking the 3.5x suggestion (as it used to be back in 2000), you'd need to earn about £17000, or under £1500 per month.
    Can't be far off they were paying £8 an hours in the 90s on the checkouts up here

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by alphadog View Post
    Slice 20% off all "green belts" (whatever they are) across the country on the side closest to existing cities and allow land owners to build houses on their land.

Job done.
    It means a tough commute for those in the new houses.

Leave a comment:

• alphadog
    replied

Job done.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Mostly low paid and tourism jobs, but surely even a naff job in Lidl would pay the mortgage for flat

Their seem to be a lot of expensive cars locally for a deprived area, they can't all be stolen

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    And are there any jobs round there?
    Mostly low paid and tourism jobs, but surely even a naff job in Lidl would pay the mortgage for flat

Their seem to be a lot of expensive cars locally for a deprived area, they can't all be stolen

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Can get flats for about £60k near me, you can't need to earn much to get a mortgage that low
    And are there any jobs round there?

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Exactly! Was going to make the same point.

But no doubt FLC will find some obsure part of the UK where one can buy a flat or terraced house for half that, never mind that it is 50 rural miles from the nearest city where most people need to be based to have a full time job.
    Can get flats for about £60k near me, you can't need to earn much to get a mortgage that low

Leave a comment:

Working...
X