• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Edinburgh is the best city in the UK for jobs growth, posting 79pc more job adverts"

Collapse

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Now let's also add in the reason that Scotland's figure is remaining close to England's. public sector employment in England is 17.4%, in Scotland it is 22.1%.

All in all it is a fairly damning assessment of the SNP's running of Scotland.
    Barnett formula at work. At least they use it on public sector employment rather than welfare benefits, which is not always the same thing.

You aren't fair to the SNP. The numbers were the same when the Lab-Lib coalition was running Holyrood, too. (I have no proof for that assertion except my own opinion, and I don't even care if it is completely wrong, but that seems most fitting for this thread.)

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Can just imagine you walking down to London in your ragged clothes with your 1994 laptop in a little bundle on your shoulder cause you've heard the streets are paved with gold. Coincidentally, the other guy who did that was a 'dick' as well.
    Your perverse imaginations of me are quite disturbing if I am being honest.

Would you care to comment on Scotland's failure to match England's exemplary record on unemployment decreases in recent months?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    don't ban them.
    Can we not send them to some cold barren wilderness, far from civilisation and decent folk. ?
    They don't want to go back to the home country they just want to bore anyone they meet about how great it is. They are the Sean Connerys of contracting.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    I said change in rate, not rate. Scotland's unemployment is rising month on month and England's is falling month on month, surely the SNP are doing something wrong or the coalition did something right, or both? Scotland used to have better figures of unemployment.

And if I did use the UK's figures surely if we remove Scotland's figures from them then England's unemployment rate will be lower than 5.5? You didn't think that point through.

Now let's also add in the reason that Scotland's figure is remaining close to England's. public sector employment in England is 17.4%, in Scotland it is 22.1%.

Can just imagine you walking down to London in your ragged clothes with your 1994 laptop in a little bundle on your shoulder cause you've heard the streets are paved with gold. Coincidentally, the other guy who did that was a 'dick' as well.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Wot, the Wirral?
    If you think that's bad, you've not been to Rhyl, as the Wirral just seems to be commuterville for millionaire scousers

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    don't ban them.
    Can we not send them to some cold barren wilderness, far from civilisation and decent folk. ?
    Wot, the Wirral?

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied

Still, they have a long way to go to reach the level of incompetence of Labour in Wales

The Mrs is looking at hospitals to try and get an operation, and really looking for one that doesn't have a high death rate for operations must be like playing hunt the labour voter in Scotland

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    Office for National Statistics data showed an unemployment rate of 6%, compared with 5.5% for the whole of the UK.

Hardly substantially worse, and you said England but have included the whole UK in your figures.
    I said change in rate, not rate. Scotland's unemployment is rising month on month and England's is falling month on month, surely the SNP are doing something wrong or the coalition did something right, or both? Scotland used to have better figures of unemployment.

And if I did use the UK's figures surely if we remove Scotland's figures from them then England's unemployment rate will be lower than 5.5? You didn't think that point through.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Funny enough I've just had this email pop into my in box which may shed some light on the number of vacancies. (sanitised).

Hi Gibbon

We communicated recently on LinkedIn. The roles I have coming through are Selex in Luton and I think you thought they were in Edinburgh?
    As luck would have it, I now have been given an Ada role in Edinburgh.

Would the role be of interest? However I can send people in at the rates they want as this is a tricky one.
    You don’t have to be completely up to speed on Ada either, as they are flexible on people’s capabilities as they do struggle to get people in for this location.

Hope that’s useful!

Agent

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    Are you including Selling snake oil as a type of employment again?
    No-one mentioned Farage...

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Office for National Statistics data showed an unemployment rate of 6%, compared with 5.5% for the whole of the UK.

Hardly substantially worse, and you said England but have included the whole UK in your figures.
    Are you including Selling snake oil as a type of employment again?

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied

Employment recovery in Scotland post 2008 is substantially worse than in England.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    any relation to the Spice girls ?
    Would anyone dare go down on a spice girl?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    And yes the family is from India, their company is called the gold brothers.
    any relation to the Spice girls ?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    That's 2 years old. Anything more up to date?
    Can you not just read stuff rather than pester me all day long to prove what a complete feckwit you are...

Scottish unemployment rises by 19,000 - BBC News
    UK unemployment falls to seven-year low - BBC News

And yes the family is from India, their company is called the gold brothers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X