• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "They want to boom but cant"

Collapse

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Its the same HR mentality that will hire a contractor for hundreds a day but gives them the crappest laptop that was lying there gathering dust to save a few quid.
    I have a 3+ yr old accountants laptop with a dual core i7 that can't cope with the software stack I need to compile = more time to post on CUK while the cpu screams along and the fan tries its best to cool it every half hour :-)

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    I've seen this too. Certain big company used to not extend past a year. No way no how. Company policy from way up top - no exceptions EVER.

It was a case of go perm or leave. And they enforced it on quite a few people who did leave. Managed to screw quite a few things up with this approach.

Leave a comment:

• Mincepie
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Is this in the public sector?
    Yeah

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincepie View Post
    Been here 18 months they want to boom but internal rule says not allowed contractor no more than a year apparently. Project at critical phase so unless they get someone else in 7 weeks this project wont have a PM. Oh well i am not that fussed really but ready for them to change their minds. Will start the hunt with 4 weeks to go for something else
    Is this in the public sector?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Get someone else in, and they exercise their right of substitution and bring you in.

Simple
    Hey! That sounds like a good idea. I wonder if it would work.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Get someone else in, and they exercise their right of substitution and bring you in.

Simple

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Its the same HR mentality that will hire a contractor for hundreds a day but gives them the crappest laptop that was lying there gathering dust to save a few quid.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Just become a permie and you won't have to put up with this sort of tulip.

Leave a comment:

• Mincepie
    replied
    yeah i think thats a possibility but not banking on it

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    There's still time.

It just need to be escalated high enough to someone smart enough to say "7 weeks ti go live, and it'll take a new guy a month to get up to speed.... extend his contract you morons?"

Leave a comment:

• Mincepie
    replied
    I offered to go on holiday after this contract expires then come back, work for different department doing same project but no joy. I keep getting told i have done brilliantly and its going to be a nightmare getting a new guy up to speed. Mental lol

If they don't change their minds i will get something else paying more but easiest option would have been to stay but hey ho

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
    I have had that before, no more than 12 months. So they don't renew then get another contractor in to replace you. Then spend 3 months skulking then up. Pointless.
    Skulking up, possibly the most accurate description of starting a new gig I've ever seen

Leave a comment:

• TheLordDave
    replied
    I have had that before, no more than 12 months. So they don't renew then get another contractor in to replace you. Then spend 3 months skulking then up. Pointless.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    Can't you change your name by deed poll then get an extension under the new name
    Or with a new Ltd company? After all, technically it's the company they are hiring.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Can't you change your name by deed poll then get an extension under the new name

Leave a comment:

Working...
X