• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Laptops. Are specs going backwards ?"

Collapse

• TheMonkey
    replied
    btw machine:

- core 2 duo 2ghz 4mb cache
    - 1gb ddr2 667mhz
    - ati x1600 128mb
    - 160gb 7200rpm seagate sata disk
    - 17" widescreen tft
    - web cam + microphone
    - mouse + keyboard
    - wlan + bluetooth
    - dvd+/-rw
    - 3x usb2
    - 1x firewire
    - optical digital io
    - built in speakers which are quite good
    - remote control (!)
    - os comparable to xp pro + media centre.
    - xcode (eqiv to visual studio)
    - 2y warranty on entire system no pissing around rma'ing components)
    - takes up as much room as a 18" TFT does
    - decent office suite .... £55.

£799 from john lewis - i just walked in and bought it on the way home (no dell 50 quid delivery charge etc).

You can't really get that for the same money in PC land.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman
    Huge chunks of C ?

Who, exactly, has trouble compiling 'huge chunks' of C any more?

Even a modest Intel or AMD processor, with a stingy amount of memory, would absolutelty piss through any amount of ANSI C code using a modern C compiler (from GNU, MS, Borland etc.).

What C compiler are you using that gives you this impression?

Now C++ is a different story, but compiling ANSI C should be as simple as.
    gcc 4.0. It's not quite just that. There is a fair amount of parser generation as well, gnu autoconf, test cases and the likes. It was ported away from C++ as it was too slow (templates bodge). Took 26 secs on p4-3.06. Takes 14 seconds on a Core 2 duo @ 2GHz with make -j 4.

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMonkey
    I just bought a Core 2 Duo box (2GHz) - well a Mac one. Scares the crap out of me how fast it is (compared to older machine compiling a huge chunk of C!). I reckon each core is around the same speed as a 3.06GHz P4.
    Sounds like an E6400... and with the right software that takes advantage of such a chip, it will be quite a performer.

The E6800 is unlocked - but costs about £700.

Just for the chip.

For a couple of hundred more you can build a PC around an E6600 (the chip I use) (£100 for motherboard, £200 for cpu, c£100 for hard drive(s), £150 for graphics card, £100 for case and £150 for memory). Monitors are dirt cheap too - I have a 19" widescreen that cost £119, and is a bargain for the price.

The E6600 is cheapest of the Core Duo's that ups the cache per core from 1 MBto 2MB. Runs at 2.4 Ghz (stock), can easily reach 3Ghz.

I returned a new AMD dual core AM2 setup to go Conroe - and its significantly faster.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeHopper
    gcc.
    gcc

Errmm, yes, GCC. But compiling what? ANSI C or C++ ?

C++ is a fully object-oriented (and overblown) language whereas C is one step up from assembler!

They share some basic syntax and lexical structure but only in the same sense that chalk and cheese are both solids.

A complex C++ program takes several 'shedloads' more computational power and working storage to compile than complex ANSI C one does.

You can't say 'compiling huge wads of C on this box is much faster than it was on my last box' and expect anybody to take any meaning from it. Can you?

Quantify!
    Last edited by bogeyman; 25 September 2006, 19:13.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak
    I've decided to get a Mac for my next laptop... Let's see how it goes...

Can anyone recommend a Mac retailer, btw?
    If you know what you want, just buy direct from the online Apple Store. Otherwise the Apple UK site will direct you to a dealer.

There's not much price variation. Apple control all the reseller prices with an iron fist.

Sieg Heil Jobs

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    gcc.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMonkey
    I just bought a Core 2 Duo box (2GHz) - well a Mac one. Scares the crap out of me how fast it is (compared to older machine compiling a huge chunk of C!). I reckon each core is around the same speed as a 3.06GHz P4.
    Huge chunks of C ?

Who, exactly, has trouble compiling 'huge chunks' of C any more?

Even a modest Intel or AMD processor, with a stingy amount of memory, would absolutelty piss through any amount of ANSI C code using a modern C compiler (from GNU, MS, Borland etc.).

What C compiler are you using that gives you this impression?

Now C++ is a different story, but compiling ANSI C should be as simple as.

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    All my stuff has come from MacWarehouse.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak

Go to Apple Store or John Lewis. JL will give you a free 2 year warranty versus the standard Apple 1 year.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied

Leave a comment:

• s2budd
    replied
    I see. Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Do let us know how you put the fire out without ruining the suit of the chap next to you...

Dell Fire Safety tips
    Last edited by cojak; 23 September 2006, 14:32.

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    I have just bought a Dell for 700 euros. Sorted

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Processor architectures have changed.

I have a Pentium 4 running at 3.6 Ghz, and it is considerably outperformed by an Intel Core Duo even if I underclock the later to 1.6Ghz.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X