• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Labour makes first-time buyer stamp duty pledge"

Collapse

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    All the parties know they may form part of a coalition. So know that some of their wilder (or more stupid) policies aren't likely to be made legislation.
    You're not suggesting they made it up just so they could give ground on it later and blame the other lot are you? How very duplicitous.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    All the parties know they may form part of a coalition. So know that some of their wilder (or more stupid) policies aren't likely to be made legislation.
    Indeed my offer of a unicorn for every man woman and child in the UK if I become PM still stands

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Government Orders Everyone To Move House | The Daily Mash

7 years on and nothing has changed, UK economy IS just a long running house price bubble....

Ssssh I'll tell you a secret. It's going to pop very soon ;/)

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Is this in the Labour manifesto ? Every "policy" announcement from all parties lately seems like something they just thought up in Starbucks that morning.
    Lol that is so true. But it's been like that for a while.

Leave a comment:

• Mark McBurney@CMME
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    About bloody time! Thanks for the correction, I either missed or forgot that.
    There was SDLT payable above £125k even before the change in December, it was just a blanket %age (1% up to £250k).

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    True that. On the got it wrong front I'd vote both of them got it very wrong due to their own agendas.
    There's some confusion about this as far as I can see. The announcement seems to imply that it's a slab-system that reverts to the ordinary rates at 300k, whereas the BBC and other analysis seems to imply that it may be the first 300k (i.e. effectively a shift in the 125k threshold to 300k). There's a big difference, at least for those looking to buy in London.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    It was actually thought up in KFC
    Is that why it is called bargain bucket politics?

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Is this in the Labour manifesto ? Every "policy" announcement from all parties lately seems like something they just thought up in Starbucks that morning.
    It was actually thought up in KFC

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
    Will Dim Prawn now buy up the rest of Swindon?

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I don't know if the Beeb has got it wrong or Labour has but:

£5000 is only if it's a £300K house. On a £200K house, it's £1500, and on a £150K house it's only £500. Surely the "average" first time buyer, outside of London at least, is more looking at the the £150K-£200K range?
    True that. On the got it wrong front I'd vote both of them got it very wrong due to their own agendas.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    1. Labour
    2. Pledge
    3. LOL

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I don't know if the Beeb has got it wrong or Labour has but:

The centrepiece of Labour's plan is a pledge to give first-time buyers a stamp duty "holiday" on purchases of under 300,000, which it says will save them an average of £5,000.
    £5000 is only if it's a £300K house. On a £200K house, it's £1500, and on a £150K house it's only £500. Surely the "average" first time buyer, outside of London at least, is more looking at the the £150K-£200K range?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Or maybe you are just clueless!
    It happened less than 6 months ago. Since you didn't take the chance to jump in and insult me with the information, I imagine you were equally ignorant, but too insecure to ever risk being found out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X