• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Vote Labour rather than UKIP!"

Collapse

• Euler
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    You're right in that there are too many MPs with their fingers in the property pie. It's like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas.

Also, getting a UK passport for a citizen of an unstable country is as simple as putting £10M down on a London property. There's your answer to the prime London bubble.
    Ah you sound like you need to vote UKIP. See my sig.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    There's that, but Labour already has one crisis on its track record, in recent memory. Having yet another to its name in such a short space of time, even if much shallower, would damage its reputation even further. So I suspect they may implement some token reforms to make housing a bit more affordable to the lower end of the market, which of course will expand it, but anything risking a follow-up recession (even if necessary and healthy longer term) will be avoided like the plague. As such, if that issue concerned me, I'd have little confidence in them to do anything about it, to the extent that a vote accomplishes much at all anyway.
    Last edited by Zero Liability; 16 April 2015, 22:05.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    As meaningless as the Tories claiming unemployment has gone down, when we know everyone is on zero hours contracts or forced self employment.
    Not disagreeing with you. My point was not a party political one.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    It's more that pricking the housing bubble could leave whichever government inherits it in a pretty bad position. I also don't think Labour has the ideological backbone to deviate from this model. I'm not promoting the Tories, far from it, just pointing out that there's little incentive for Labour to actually make any meaningful reforms to the system as it is. Ironically, the very proposal of a mansion tax is fuelling the housing bubble at the moment.
    You're right in that there are too many MPs with their fingers in the property pie. It's like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas.

Also, getting a UK passport for a citizen of an unstable country is as simple as putting £10M down on a London property. There's your answer to the prime London bubble.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    It's more that pricking the housing bubble could leave whichever government inherits it in a pretty bad position. I also don't think Labour has the ideological backbone to deviate from this model. I'm not promoting the Tories, far from it, just pointing out that there's little incentive for Labour to actually make any meaningful reforms to the system as it is. Ironically, the very proposal of a mansion tax is fuelling the housing bubble at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Bit if a meaningless statistic really isn't it ?

A bit like me taking your credit card over the limit and then blaming you for the size of the repayments.
    As meaningless as the Tories claiming unemployment has gone down, when we know everyone is on zero hours contracts or forced self employment.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Bit if a meaningless statistic really isn't it ?

A bit like me taking your credit card over the limit and then blaming you for the size of the repayments.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    The coalition will leave more debt than all Labour governments since 1900

http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-an...bour-governmen

"The coalition has so far run up more public debt than all the Labour governments since 1900 combined.

The current government’s now responsible for £517 billion of the trillion-plus-pound UK public debt, compared to £472 billion accrued during the 33 years Labour led the country since the turn of the twentieth century."

Wonder where all that money's gone... oh I know... the pigs have got their own snouts in the trough.
    Last edited by SantaClaus; 16 April 2015, 21:49.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Yeah, and watch their tax proceeds implode with it. I do not think for one minute they're going to do that without some back up, half-arsed scheme to draw upon, to keep the easy money flowing. It's how they acted the last 10 years in power. They'll crow about the young not being able to afford housing but fundamentally, all they know is easy money, borrowing and deficit spending. Nothing will serve to prick the housing market other than interest rates being repriced closer to reality.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Labour to burst luxury London property bubble just as 8,000 swanky pads go on sale - Telegraph

About time something was done about the property bubble. The young cannot afford to get on the ladder without taking on loads of debt.
    If that's true, they got my vote.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    It will be one day. But spending is all that props up the economy. One day people will realize there is no point in saving. That will be the tipping point.

I cant see it happening for decades though!

Yes, but for every borrower, there is a lender.

gradually, the lenders get the power, the upper hand.
    this is a strategic issue

would you keep borrowing off your ex missus

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    A reason for voting UKIP rather than labour is that UKIP understand the difference between the deficit and the National debt. I don't think this has been addressed by any of the other parties , incl the tories and esp. Labour

or is that New Labour ?

who cares.

anyways. servicing the National debt is costing each tax payer thousands per annum.
    It has to be addressed
    It will be one day. But spending is all that props up the economy. One day people will realize there is no point in saving. That will be the tipping point.

I cant see it happening for decades though!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Labour to burst luxury London property bubble just as 8,000 swanky pads go on sale - Telegraph

About time something was done about the property bubble. The young cannot afford to get on the ladder without taking on loads of debt.
    A reason for voting UKIP rather than labour is that UKIP understand the difference between the deficit and the National debt. I don't think this has been addressed by any of the other parties , incl the tories and esp. Labour

or is that New Labour ?

who cares.

anyways. servicing the National debt is costing each tax payer thousands per annum.
    It has to be addressed

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    They believe they are England's second city though. And will not want to be upstaged by Manchester.
    Part of the problem is that transport links, I could to Edinburgh or London by train in the same time I could get to Birmingham

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Birmingham's not the North, and surely already covered by HS2.
    They believe they are England's second city though. And will not want to be upstaged by Manchester.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X